Sky, am i paying too much please?

Found 15th Jan 2015
Hello

Trying to find out if we are paying too much for sky as we have never negotiated with them.
We pay £61 per month. This is for the Variety pack with Sports and Movies. We also have the sky sports 5 channel for football. No multi rooms.
We don't have broadband and as we live in an isolated area it would not be good for us so do not want to include it or the phone in any deals.
Should also say we are still on the original sky plus box although this is starting to play up which is why we are now looking at it more closely.
Could we at least get them to give us a new box for nothing as this one is faulty. The button is permanently pressed in and it doesn't always respond to the handset as it should. Time for a replacement. We have had this 10 years.

Thank you
Community Updates
AskSky
33 Comments
we pay £38.25 for all channels. we just have tv with sky.
Yes your paying too much my bill is £64 with the variety pack movies,line rental, all calls, unlimited broadband. I would phone them and you are defiantly due a free upgrade on your equipment. If they don't agree threaten to leave they will offer you loads of deals.
I pay £54 for movies, sport, phone (weekends free), hd channels and broadband (the broadband is ridiculous though) more than one device and it slows up.

Anyone know what broadband speed you should get with Sky actually? Think we get about 7mbps?? I'm guessing that's slow?
Original Poster
I thought as much. Thanks.
katie1111 when you say all channels is that movies and sports as well please. And are you sky plus or HD. Just trying to see how low I can go.
I have heard of people threatening to leave so may have to do that thanks.
you are paying too much. you need to leave them then come back as a new customer later to get cheap deals.
switch to virgin or bt for a year.
Paying way to much, we have full package movies, sports, multi room, phone & Internet £40pm
Original Poster
Sadly we can't go to Virgin as they don't do our area and bt don't do the infinity or whatever it's called. That's why to some extent I am scared to threaten to leave as nowhere to go.
tell them you are looking at leaving as you cant afford to pay, you are looking at other providers or even a freesat box and ask them if their is anything they can do before you decide what to do. they might offer you a deal straight away. if not tell them you will think about it over the next few days. worth a try, nothing to lose. I pay £16 for all except movies and sport instead of £32. give it a go and good luck
Edited by: "cornishscouse" 15th Jan 2015
Goofeys Girl

Sadly we can't go to Virgin as they don't do our area and bt don't do the … Sadly we can't go to Virgin as they don't do our area and bt don't do the infinity or whatever it's called. That's why to some extent I am scared to threaten to leave as nowhere to go.

You will 90% of the time be offered a good deal to stay. Even if the cancellation does go through, you have 30 days to change your mind and they always phone you to offer something (provided they have the correct number and the options in marketing are selected to let them call you)
Goofeys Girl

Sadly we can't go to Virgin as they don't do our area and bt don't do the … Sadly we can't go to Virgin as they don't do our area and bt don't do the infinity or whatever it's called. That's why to some extent I am scared to threaten to leave as nowhere to go.

you could try dropping them so just get the freeview channels and sign up to netflix for the movies?
Original Poster
Thanks everyone. You've been a great help. Given me the courage to try. Will probably start off saying we can't afford it anymore and see where that goes. Will say we have to leave if that doesn't get me anywhere.
Have a great evening.

The actual bill for this month will be available on 10 Feb
24 Feb - 23 Mar (28 days)
HD Pack £5.25
Sky Go Extra - including discounts FREE
Family with Sports & Movies - including discounts £33.00
Sky Multiscreen - including discounts £7.31
24 Mar£47.95
tonyh78

The actual bill for this month will be available on 10 Feb24 Feb - 23 Mar … The actual bill for this month will be available on 10 Feb24 Feb - 23 Mar (28 days)HD Pack £5.25Sky Go Extra - including discounts FREEFamily with Sports & Movies - including discounts £33.00Sky Multiscreen - including discounts £7.3124 Mar£47.95

That's a big discount for Family with Sports & Movies - if you click the 'including discounts' link, what does it say? I've only been given 10% discount, you are more like 50%!
50% off tv
35% off multi room
This is what i did. I have multiroom and everything tv except movies. Called them to cancel - they offered me a discount there and then. I said I still wanted to cancel and gave my 30 days notice. With 1 week to go I went on to livechat and they offered me 50% off tv bundles. I said I wanted multiroom included but they said they couldn't but offered me 60% off tv packages for a 12 month contract for the full 12 months. Just bide your time. you will still have 30 days notice so you don't lose service immediately. give it a go!
Hang out for 3 months or more after leaving and you used to get 75% off packages.

I am 1 month after leaving and best offer is 50% so far. Good luck
rugbymike

This is what i did. I have multiroom and everything tv except movies. … This is what i did. I have multiroom and everything tv except movies. Called them to cancel - they offered me a discount there and then. I said I still wanted to cancel and gave my 30 days notice. With 1 week to go I went on to livechat and they offered me 50% off tv bundles. I said I wanted multiroom included but they said they couldn't but offered me 60% off tv packages for a 12 month contract for the full 12 months. Just bide your time. you will still have 30 days notice so you don't lose service immediately. give it a go!

What did you say when you went on live chat? 'What discount will you offer for me to stay?'
I currently get a 30% discount which is live on my account for 5 years. I had to agree to staying with them for at least a year. Its also worth noting that if you pay for sky sports you get sky broadband for free which is a decent saving aswell.
Hi. Had a retentional deal of 30% then 50% offered after submitted 30 days notice.

Currently pay £41.25 a month.
Sky Entertainment extra
Sky HD
Sky Movies HD
Sky Multiroom
Sky Go Extra.
Basically everything Barr Sky sports.
Cancel the movies and sport channels with the 31 days notice and they will email a few days later to offer you half price for 6 months if you change your mind
currently paying £21 for all channels including normal HD not on the movies, put in your cancellation and stick with it, they will give you a discount from 10 to 75% depending on how well you hold out. We have been on offers for years, in the last 7 years we probably haven't paid full price for 6 months, worst deal 10% off for 4 months, best deal 75% for 12 months, you just have to stick with the threat of cancelation
Thanks all, some useful comments. My 12 months come up in early April so will need to be a bit sharper on my negotiation!
All channels including sports and movies.HD all over....
Multiroom
LR and Broadband

£43.77pm
EmS138

What did you say when you went on live chat? 'What discount will you … What did you say when you went on live chat? 'What discount will you offer for me to stay?'

I said I still wanted to leave as I wanted the discount on everything. He went off "to speak to his manager" and then came back with the new offer! I never intended to leave but just play their game! It's why I did it a week before so I still had time to subscribe again!
Drooler

All channels including sports and movies.HD all over....MultiroomLR and … All channels including sports and movies.HD all over....MultiroomLR and Broadband£43.77pm

It would be doubly helpful if you could tell us how you achieved this
rugbymike

I said I still wanted to leave as I wanted the discount on everything. He … I said I still wanted to leave as I wanted the discount on everything. He went off "to speak to his manager" and then came back with the new offer! I never intended to leave but just play their game! It's why I did it a week before so I still had time to subscribe again!

Thanks! And you did this even on live chat?
£44 a month here full package including sky go extra and no contract. Ring them and speak to them. No luck? hand up and try again
EmS138

Thanks! And you did this even on live chat?

Yep, on Live Chat although when I cancelled initially I called them and they put me through to their retentions dept but just said I still wanted to cancel. I guess they may take into account how long you have been with them for. Although I have been with them for 2 years and had 2 reductions. The first one wasn't as generous but I didn't really push it.
EmS138

It would be doubly helpful if you could tell us how you achieved this

Called and gave 30 days. Stuck to my guns and was disconnected.

Called literally 2 hours after sky went off and got this deal.
Drooler

Called and gave 30 days. Stuck to my guns and was disconnected.Called … Called and gave 30 days. Stuck to my guns and was disconnected.Called literally 2 hours after sky went off and got this deal.

Cheers. Out of interest, how long did it take to reconnect?
EmS138

Cheers. Out of interest, how long did it take to reconnect?

Back on within minutes but they said could take a few hours

Comment

Drooler

Back on within minutes but they said could take a few hours

Did they disconnect your telephone line and broadband as well? Did you not transfer them somewhere else eg plusnet? I can understand the TV being switched back on quickly but thought there would be a need for BT involvement with the telephone etc.
Edited by: "EmS138" 18th Jan 2015
I didnt give notice on bb/line but renegoitated with TV. Got 12 months free bb and normal line rental (which is the normal deal now I see on TV)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions