Sky and BT sign channel sharing deal - BBC News

Edited by:"m00head"Found 15th Dec 2017…401

"Sky and BT have have signed a deal to sell their channels on each other's platforms.

Under the deal, BT will now supply its sports channels - which show UEFA Champions League and Premier League football - to Sky.

In addition, BT will be able to sell Sky's Now TV service - which includes Sky Sports, Sky Cinema and the Sky Atlantic channel - to its customers.

The deal comes as the firms face growing competition from online rivals.

Bidding is due to begin in the next Premier League football rights auction in February, and digital giants such as Amazon and Facebook could throw their hats in the ring for streaming rights.

BT has spent more than £3.5bn on Champions League and Premier League football rights since 2012 in an attempt to compete with Sky.

Announcing the deal, BT chief executive Gavin Patterson said: "This is the next logical step for our TV and content strategy. We feel that now is the right time to broaden the ways in which we distribute BT Sport."

Sky boss Jeremy Darroch said: "This is great news for Sky customers who will be able to access all matches on Sky and BT channels from the Premier League, UEFA Champions League and Europa League directly with a single Sky TV subscription."

The new services will be available to BT and Sky customers from early 2019."
Community Updates
  1. Misc
  1. Misc
How does effect us poor who can only afford normal TV viewing through the License?

Guess we have to watch old content on BBC IPlayer and no new sports coverage or what?
Not long to wait then, 2019 thought it was a typo by op but it’s in the article. Nothing really new there though they have been doing it with virgin for years and other providers as well.
I only want eurosport but not available as a standalone

I guess it should help people who don't want two platforms to watch sports. My guess is price will be same or a bit more.
I am on Sky and get BT sport through a sky box - hopefully this deal will make it cheaper
I guess this will help the utter joke that is the cricket 'deals' at the moment
at least some one day matches are coming back to the beeb
I guess they can now formally meet around the lunch table and discuss upping their prices in tandem so we the gullible public have no choice but to pay higher and higher prices if we want to watch any sport on TV.
Post a comment

Top Discussions

Top Merchants