Sky and BT TV off same dish?

8 replies
Found 18th Oct 2016
I currently have sky plus therefore have 2 cables from the dish going into the back of my sky box. I have just received my BT you view box as part of my broadband deal I signed up to and will only use it for BT Sport so my question is, if I disconnect one cable from my sky box and connect it to the you view box will I still be able to watch sky as normal and BT sport on the youview box? Im aware I would lose the ability to record and watch a different channel with sky.

1. Ask
  2. Sky
  3. TV
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Sky
  3. TV
8 Comments

Does youview not use a normal tv aerial rather than a dish?

BT TV is via a Digital TV Aerial and Broadband / Fibre connection so no, it won't work.

Original Poster

ah right ok. I haven't opened the box yet. no tv aerial installed here when I bought it so I'll just use BT sport on the app or online rather than pay to get an aerial installed or to be able to watch it on sky. cheers both

supacook2k

ah right ok. I haven't opened the box yet. no tv aerial installed here … ah right ok. I haven't opened the box yet. no tv aerial installed here when I bought it so I'll just use BT sport on the app or online rather than pay to get an aerial installed or to be able to watch it on sky. cheers both

Depends upon where you live but these days the digital signal is normally pretty good everywhere since the old signal was switched off. I bought one of the below for TV in bedroom which is freeview HD and get all of the channels with no issues. Link is for Argos although from memory it was cheaper in Asda which is where I bought my own. Handy also the design as it just sits behind the tv out of view. There are some cheaper ones but this has one of the highest "gains" for an amplified indoor aerial and a 3G/4G filter.

argos.co.uk/sta…htm
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 18th Oct 2016

The "premium" channel are done over your broadband connection, and not thought the tv aerial where it is then decrypted.

I moved my box into my spare room and watched BT sport on it with no problems not being connected to an aerial, just to my router by homeplugs. Ideally you want the box connected directly to the router by the means of a lan cable,.

they say the signal is turned off but if u connect to old aerial I have been told it still works not sure how these digital and normal differ though

I thought that If you had a BT sport entitlement you could just give BT your sky viewing card number and they would enable BT sport through sky....

(This was the case a few years back when Bt sport launched anyway)

I have a youview box that I use only for BT sport , when a games on I just power it up and only connect an Ethernet cable to it to play the football , I don't connect ariel
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Help! In need of a PS4 Headset58
    2. Sonos Amazon Echo discount code beg thread56
    3. Rugged Android Phone/Tablet44
    4. amazon prime question33

See more discussions