sky and moving to hull

Found 8th Aug 2015
Hi,
Just wondering if someone can help me wrap my head round what i need to do.

I am moving into Hull in a few weeks and apparently I cannot take my Sky BB with me. I am in contract at the moment for BB and TV.

Will I be able to cancel the whole contract or is it just the BB? I am struggling to get through on the phones.

Thanks ever so much!
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Sky
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Sky
22 Comments
I can add that BT are not in the Hull area and Sky have no lines here either. Just Kingston Communication for wired, but there are a few Wireless providers. (of course it depends how close to Hull you are going to be).

Read your terms and conditions, of course you can still use the satellite part of it of you cannot leave.
Sky have separate contracts for TV, Phone & Broadband
because you are choosing to move, you will have to pay the remainder of the bb package, but the sky tv you can take, they will try and charge you to install, but they should do it for free, if they don't then hang up, and try again with a different advisor.

I haven't experienced this, it's just via friends, don't use the online chat for this you will get nothing, just be nice friendly and sad you have to leave.

you have a sky phone line so is free to call them, otherwise I tell people to go to a friend house who do have a sky phone line.
Landlines and broadband in Hull are ridiculous. I never did understand how it can be that KC are allowed a monopoly.
they don't and are not. just nobody wishes to pay to come in as I guess it's not profitable ;-), other than the wireless ones purebroadband, connexion etc.
a big fibre backbone is currently being layed by city fibre for EE and 3, also one of the wireless providers will be using it as a backbone to speed things up.
if BT buy EE, you never know...

it's how long they are taking rolling out fibre (light stream that is taking the pish) especially given they had on demand streaming services before most had even thought of it BITD, just before its time really.
Frankie 7

Sky have separate contracts for TV, Phone & Broadband

Not in Hull they don't. You can't have a phone or broadband with Sky in Hull. Sky tv via satellite is all you can have.
Why do you want to move to Hull. You will experience very expensive broadband and will need a phone line if you go with KC. Unless you move into a very limited lightstream area you will have a rubbish download speed and it gets worse the further you move from the city. I am just looking at ditching my £40.99 KC account which gives me free phone calls and broadband with a download speed of 5mbps on a good day for the Connexin service.
Smartguy1

Why do you want to move to Hull. You will experience very expensive … Why do you want to move to Hull. You will experience very expensive broadband and will need a phone line if you go with KC. Unless you move into a very limited lightstream area you will have a rubbish download speed and it gets worse the further you move from the city. I am just looking at ditching my £40.99 KC account which gives me free phone calls and broadband with a download speed of 5mbps on a good day for the Connexin service.

It's not always a choice of why do you want to but because you have to, might be because of work they maybe starting up at Siemens or working for Recketts or Smith & Nephew for example not exactly a dime a dozen for those fields of work.
To add the choice between the travel expenses/commuting time and more expensive housing out of the city or paying slight more for broadband isn't exactly a hard choice.

Edited by: "BarmyBulldog" 9th Aug 2015
BarmyBulldog

It's not always a choice of why do you want to but because you have to, … It's not always a choice of why do you want to but because you have to, might be because of work they maybe starting up at Siemens or working for Recketts or Smith & Nephew for example not exactly a dime a dozen for those fields of work. To add the choice between the travel expenses/commuting time and more expensive housing out of the city or paying slight more for broadband isn't exactly a hard choice.

Yes, I know. It was only having a dig at the monopoly that KC have. We experienced cheaper phone charges for a few years prior to the internet but now we are penalised with poor download speeds combined with high charges. I don't mind paying a higher price for a decent service but that is something I do not get. On a Sunday my download speed can go down to less than 1mbps. My son lives on Kingswood, pays the same as me and is getting 20 to 100 times faster download speed. Living on the edge of the city and very close to, but not qualifying for a BT service is very frustrating. Hopefully one day we will have competition which in turn would give us cheaper prices and hopefully a faster broadband.
Edited by: "Smartguy1" 9th Aug 2015
Smartguy1

Not in Hull they don't. You can't have a phone or broadband with Sky in … Not in Hull they don't. You can't have a phone or broadband with Sky in Hull. Sky tv via satellite is all you can have.

Of course not in hull as you can't have it there. Lol
Frankie 7

Of course not in hull as you can't have it there. Lol

There are a few other places as well where there is a monopoly, Isle of Man I think is one. Problem is without competition the consumer can suffer. It's very annoying that we can't get a better deal and suffer with low download speeds. I could always move lol.
Lol
Smartguy1

Why do you want to move to Hull. You will experience very expensive … Why do you want to move to Hull. You will experience very expensive broadband and will need a phone line if you go with KC. Unless you move into a very limited lightstream area you will have a rubbish download speed and it gets worse the further you move from the city. I am just looking at ditching my £40.99 KC account which gives me free phone calls and broadband with a download speed of 5mbps on a good day for the Connexin service.

I wouldn't recommend Connexin at all. They advertise great speeds and you get the speeds for the first couple of months but then you'll struggle to get 5mbps and their support staff do not have a clue.
rikkif1990

I wouldn't recommend Connexin at all. They advertise great speeds and … I wouldn't recommend Connexin at all. They advertise great speeds and you get the speeds for the first couple of months but then you'll struggle to get 5mbps and their support staff do not have a clue.

That's an interesting point. Their installation fee did put me off as well as living in the East Riding boundary I was concerned about speed. I just checked my speed and getting 2.1mbps which is pathetic.
Smartguy1

That's an interesting point. Their installation fee did put me off as … That's an interesting point. Their installation fee did put me off as well as living in the East Riding boundary I was concerned about speed. I just checked my speed and getting 2.1mbps which is pathetic.

Well we had Connexin at our old house so just a heads up really. When we had it installed it was hitting 10mbps, downloads were around 500kB/s to 1mB/s but the connection kept going and got worse.

You might have a better experience though, I know some are happy with it. Since this we've moved to PureBroadband. Lately there has been a lot of problems with it but their support is better and at the moment my speedtest.net reading is averaging 12mbps with a ping of 12ms. I've also downloaded at over 1.5mB/s - the installation is steep, but it's only £15 per month.

I always remember when a guy from Connexin blamed our microwave for our speeds. I know frequencies can interfere but it was just their poor service that was the problem.

Edited by: "rikkif1990" 10th Aug 2015
There is Pure Broadband as well but they are not giving anything away on download speeds which is a shame.
Smartguy1

There is Pure Broadband as well but they are not giving anything away on … There is Pure Broadband as well but they are not giving anything away on download speeds which is a shame.

Please see my above post and this is what I've just done to show you how ours is:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4572170830.png

You could always drop them an email and await their response just so you have something from them in writing.

Edited by: "rikkif1990" 10th Aug 2015
Cheers, I may just so that. Your ping is very low so I guess you are quite close to wherever it is they beam the signal from. My ping is 46. Your upload is better than my download. I may drop Pure Broadband a call. I just checked on KC's website and there are no plans to bring Lightstream anywhere near me in in the next year. I don't need a phone line as the wife and I use our mobiles 99% of the time.
Smartguy1

Cheers, I may just so that. Your ping is very low so I guess you are … Cheers, I may just so that. Your ping is very low so I guess you are quite close to wherever it is they beam the signal from. My ping is 46. Your upload is better than my download. I may drop Pure Broadband a call. I just checked on KC's website and there are no plans to bring Lightstream anywhere near me in in the next year. I don't need a phone line as the wife and I use our mobiles 99% of the time.

No problem! Haha my ping is pretty good, we are about 200 metres from the access point but they have a few of them over Hull.
Smartguy1

Yes, I know. It was only having a dig at the monopoly that KC have. We … Yes, I know. It was only having a dig at the monopoly that KC have. We experienced cheaper phone charges for a few years prior to the internet but now we are penalised with poor download speeds combined with high charges. I don't mind paying a higher price for a decent service but that is something I do not get. On a Sunday my download speed can go down to less than 1mbps. My son lives on Kingswood, pays the same as me and is getting 20 to 100 times faster download speed. Living on the edge of the city and very close to, but not qualifying for a BT service is very frustrating. Hopefully one day we will have competition which in turn would give us cheaper prices and hopefully a faster broadband.

I agree with you, I love how they managed to circumvent Ofcom policy on fair distribution by allowing others to operate but pricing them entirely out profitability. I hate KC data caps it is a bug bear. I'm waiting on the PureBroadband to open up and my contract end. There is talk of fibre coming to Hull and distributed more widely via wireless.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants