Sky basics recording free to air channels is it possible? Cost?

Posted 4th Jun 2020
I have two sky + hd boxes with two viewing cards but only one active viewing card for sky entertainment. I used to have multiscreen but I cancelled it as it was too expensive at £14 per month. Does anyone have or know how much it would cost to get the other viewing card activated just to record the free to air channels? (not the premium sky tv channels) thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
28 Comments
Told me last month it was £10 month, thats to activate sky plus which is needed to record...told them to keep it and bought a recordable freeview box for £59
I think to get it activated just to record it costs £10
Yes, you pay £10 a month.
loosescrew04/06/2020 19:27

Told me last month it was £10 month, thats to activate sky plus which is …Told me last month it was £10 month, thats to activate sky plus which is needed to record...told them to keep it and bought a recordable freeview box for £59

Yes I had a suspicion it was £10 a month that’s far too much, I may end up going your route and buy a recordable box, thanks
superscrooge04/06/2020 19:38

Yes I had a suspicion it was £10 a month that’s far too much, I may end up …Yes I had a suspicion it was £10 a month that’s far too much, I may end up going your route and buy a recordable box, thanks

Get a freesat HD box if you had q buy one of these currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
Why not go for a Now TV stick. There are always cheap offers on the stick and entertainment package.
shakey198104/06/2020 20:47

Get a freesat HD box if you had q buy one of these …Get a freesat HD box if you had q buy one of these https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/freesat-uhd-x-smart-4k-ultra-hd-set-top-box-10207047-pdt.html

That doesn't record
Willy_Wonka04/06/2020 21:32

That doesn't record

Yes I know but why record when you can stream? Isn't recording a bit old school?
Petetobin04/06/2020 21:27

Why not go for a Now TV stick. There are always cheap offers on the stick …Why not go for a Now TV stick. There are always cheap offers on the stick and entertainment package.

What I’m really wanting is to record some films and some old tv series that are not on now tv but are on Freesat channels, to keep to watch anytime.
superscrooge04/06/2020 21:37

What I’m really wanting is to record some films and some old tv series t …What I’m really wanting is to record some films and some old tv series that are not on now tv but are on Freesat channels, to keep to watch anytime.

You could of course get a Fire Stick and sideload a free movie App but if you want a kosher solution then buy a Freesat box as suggested. My modern tv has Freesat built in and you can attach a hard drive to record onto.
Petetobin04/06/2020 21:36

Yes I know but why record when you can stream? Isn't recording a bit old …Yes I know but why record when you can stream? Isn't recording a bit old school?

I hardly ever stream. I just record what I want on series record & it is there within a couple of seconds & download films. Each to their own I guess.
Willy_Wonka04/06/2020 21:46

I hardly ever stream. I just record what I want on series record & it is …I hardly ever stream. I just record what I want on series record & it is there within a couple of seconds & download films. Each to their own I guess.

Yes I am the same.
I must admit that I still pay the £10 even though I mostly stream. You are right that it is nice to have things downloaded.
superscrooge04/06/2020 21:51

Yes I am the same.

Then a freesat recorder would be best but you are going to have to lump out £50 to £100 for a decent used one or £120-£200 for a brand new Humax
There's also the zgemma boxes like the h9s available cheaply which you can add a usb stick to and muck about customising, skinning etc.
Be aware that Channel 4 HD is no longer on the Freesat platform but is "free to air" so needs to be added manually. Consequently this might make it difficult to schedule recordings. Catchup service All4 is also missing. In the end I paid for a decent terrestrial aerial and pulled the dish down!
Willy_Wonka04/06/2020 21:57

Then a freesat recorder would be best but you are going to have to lump …Then a freesat recorder would be best but you are going to have to lump out £50 to £100 for a decent used one or £120-£200 for a brand new Humax

Humax have chucked in the towel with satellite.
Kreskin04/06/2020 22:00

Humax have chucked in the towel with satellite.

No they haven't I have 3 in my house.
Willy_Wonka04/06/2020 22:01

I've got a victorian fireplace. Try buying a new one from Humax.
Kreskin04/06/2020 22:03

I've got a victorian fireplace. Try buying a new one from Humax.

Oh I get you now. My kit has just doubled in price on ebay!
Willy_Wonka04/06/2020 22:01

Humax stopped making Freesat boxes about September last year - they now command a premium if you can find any new. It was more because Freesat allocated a contract for the new box elsewhere.

You can still get a decent non-recorder from Manhattan (£50), but there are new boxes that came out earlier this year.

The new boxes are made by a company called Arris - 4 versions available. The recorders available through Currys exclusively at the moment. They have mixed comments on how well they work - I would suggest looking at avforums for a very long (32 pages and counting) discussion on that.
Edited by: "alg" 4th Jun
alg04/06/2020 22:32

Humax stopped making Freesat boxes about September last year - they now …Humax stopped making Freesat boxes about September last year - they now command a premium if you can find any new. It was more because Freesat allocated a contract for the new box elsewhere.You can still get a decent non-recorder from Manhattan (£50), but there are new boxes that came out earlier this year.The new boxes are made by a company called Arris - 4 versions available. The recorders available through Currys exclusively at the moment. They have mixed comments on how well they work - I would suggest looking at avforums for a very long (32 pages and counting) discussion on that.

Just reading the last couple of pages confirms the problems with trying to set up Channel 4 HD with these boxes. If you never ever watch it then fine. The ZGemma boxes tend to be synonymous with illegal streaming services but can also be used entirely legally as customisable satellite and/or terrestrial boxes. I found the pause/rewind live tv to be a bit flakey though. Gave up, went to terrestrial and got the BT UHD version of a Humax box cheap. Streams UHD, interface is OK. I miss some of the crazy stuff from NHK World Japan on satellite though.
Kreskin04/06/2020 23:01

Just reading the last couple of pages confirms the problems with trying to …Just reading the last couple of pages confirms the problems with trying to set up Channel 4 HD with these boxes. If you never ever watch it then fine. The ZGemma boxes tend to be synonymous with illegal streaming services but can also be used entirely legally as customisable satellite and/or terrestrial boxes. I found the pause/rewind live tv to be a bit flakey though. Gave up, went to terrestrial and got the BT UHD version of a Humax box cheap. Streams UHD, interface is OK. I miss some of the crazy stuff from NHK World Japan on satellite though.

For what it's worth - the recording boxes came out mid-April. The hardware is largely ok, and there has been 2 software updates since then. They are definitely improving over time. In general I'm happy'ish with it, but I also tend not to go to non-Freesat mode.

Having said that, my one has a stutter/freezing issue on HD channels - which I suspect is a hardware issue. I have a Humax recorder attached to the same dish, which was fine when it was in the living room, and is fine on the cables into the bedroom.

Over lockdown many people have had issues returning items to Currys, which is why I've hesitated in returning it. Personally, I would probably be happy to get a swap for a different one.
Edited by: "alg" 4th Jun
I have amongst other kit a technomate 5402 satellite receiver, it records via usb/hdd and has full epg for ch4hd and also allows scheduled recordings etc.
Willy_Wonka04/06/2020 21:46

I hardly ever stream. I just record what I want on series record & it is …I hardly ever stream. I just record what I want on series record & it is there within a couple of seconds & download films. Each to their own I guess.

Your not on your own. I always record whatever is on tv and then watch it when the kids are asleep
fearona05/06/2020 08:45

I have amongst other kit a technomate 5402 satellite receiver, it records …I have amongst other kit a technomate 5402 satellite receiver, it records via usb/hdd and has full epg for ch4hd and also allows scheduled recordings etc.

Yeah just use none freesat to pick up extra xhannels deleted the ones you dont want
Post a comment
@
    Text