Sky Box

Posted 11th Jan
Hi, I currently have a sky box connected to my satellite but no subscription. If I get another used sky box to put upstairs, can I connect it to my my satellite dish and get the same free channels ?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Yes you’ll need to run another cable from the dish to the box. I had our daughters room setup like this for years before we got SkyQ.
MrWalle11/01/2020 19:03

Yes you’ll need to run another cable from the dish to the box. I had our d …Yes you’ll need to run another cable from the dish to the box. I had our daughters room setup like this for years before we got SkyQ.

Would I need a viewing card or not?
I never had a viewing card in the one upstairs. Remove the one if you have one in the other box and see what happens but I’m not sure you actually need it.
Just buy a fire tv stick
They are £20 on sales
You can have as many boxes receiving free tat for as many outputs and associated cables available from your dish's presumed old skool LNB. Assuming your boxes have no active recording capability, each box will effectively only require one cable from LNB. Most old skool dish's LNBs are minimum dual output, possibly quad.
Misslovely11/01/2020 19:15

Just buy a fire tv stickThey are £20 on sales

A used sky box will only cost me £5-£10 off Shpock
It's the thing that's on the end of the satellite dish that's important, it's called an lnb.
If you have a really old one, it'll have one output, you want one with 4 outputs (most common and cheapest), just pull the old one off and install new one
screwfix.com/p/l…4gv
You'll of course need associated cable with "f" connectors
esar11/01/2020 21:25

It's the thing that's on the end of the satellite dish that's important, …It's the thing that's on the end of the satellite dish that's important, it's called an lnb.If you have a really old one, it'll have one output, you want one with 4 outputs (most common and cheapest), just pull the old one off and install new onehttps://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-universal-quad-lnb/734gvYou'll of course need associated cable with "f" connectors

I think I got a new one installed as I think my dad already installed a second cable just need to get it off the roof
Another way around it is to use the second RF output in the old boxes, but your stuck with the channel that's on the box, not a problem if it's you in bed watching and nobody watching the main unit.
Plenty of videos that do a better job of describing it than me!
X_RHussain_X11/01/2020 19:09

Would I need a viewing card or not?

In theory, all Freeview/free to air channels no longer require a viewing card and are unencrypted. However, there are a few that don't follow this protocol. For the box to just work, you don't need a card.

But really, you'll be okay. If you really needed a viewing card (which I wouldn't bother with), Sky will give you one if you contact them even without a contract (can't remember how much it costs but not much).

If it's a HD box you're after, then get one of those quad LNBs that esar linked to.
Edited by: "ra786" 12th Jan
esar11/01/2020 21:29

Another way around it is to use the second RF output in the old boxes, but …Another way around it is to use the second RF output in the old boxes, but your stuck with the channel that's on the box, not a problem if it's you in bed watching and nobody watching the main unit.Plenty of videos that do a better job of describing it than me!

Oh, and you'll need a TV with the old analogue tuning system (getting rare these days)
X_RHussain_X11/01/2020 19:56

A used sky box will only cost me £5-£10 off Shpock

Plus the aggro of getting a new cable in the room.
ra78612/01/2020 03:08

In theory, all Freeview/free to air channels no longer require a viewing …In theory, all Freeview/free to air channels no longer require a viewing card and are unencrypted. However, there are a few that don't follow this protocol. For the box to just work, you don't need a card.But really, you'll be okay. If you really needed a viewing card (which I wouldn't bother with), Sky will give you one if you contact them even without a contract (can't remember how much it costs but not much). If it's a HD box you're after, then get one of those quad LNBs that esar linked to.

No Freeview via satellite it's Freesat or with a card Freesat from Sky, important differences. There are approx 5 FTV Free to View channels which require a card, cost about £25.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 12th Jan
OBH6UK12/01/2020 10:04

No Freeview via satellite it's Freesat or with a card Freesat from Sky, …No Freeview via satellite it's Freesat or with a card Freesat from Sky, important differences. There are approx 5 FTV Free to View channels which require a card, cost about £25.

It's not called Freeview, you're right. But what I meant was a lot of the channels that you can get on Freeview that are also available on Sky. Which is why I used the forward slash. And approx 5 FTV channels requiring a card was my point. Not that many.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions