Groups
    EXPIRED

Sky box - Can I record without subscription ?

Hi everyone, hope someone can help me here. I have cancelled my sky subscription and would like to know if theres anyway I can still use the box to record. I am no genius but thinking there must be a way round this ??

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

23 Comments

Nope

nope, you will only receive freeview channels but the record function is disabled

No. You can't even watch what you had recorded when you did have the subscription. I had sky+ and cancelled.

As above, it isnt possible.

You need a Sky+ subscription.

robston78

nope, you will only receive freeview channels but the record function is … nope, you will only receive freeview channels but the record function is disabled

Freesat programs surely

Get a freesat PVR

sancho1983

Freesat programs surely

no, you can record NOTHING, the record feature is disabled if you cancel the subscription

They will charge £10 a month just for this pleasure, so might be better to invest in a freesat box that records

Edited by: "Cartoonhead" 1st Jan 2011

sancho1983

Freesat programs surely

Neither actually, you will get " Freesat from Sky " channels.

There are 4 systems available, Freeview via an aerial, Freesat from a dedicated receiver, Freesat from Sky from a Sky Receiver, and FTA Free to air from a standard FTA Receiver.

Recording without a sub never seemed to work until we had a HD box installed, somehow the old Sky+ box still is able to record despite only having a old sky/freesat card in it. Strange.

Cartoonhead

no, you can record NOTHING, the record feature is disabled if you cancel … no, you can record NOTHING, the record feature is disabled if you cancel the subscriptionThey will charge £10 a month just for this pleasure, so might be better to invest in a freesat box that records

Umm, I know I was pointing out that you won't receive freeview channels, but freesat ones. But as inactive pointed out It's slightly different to that as well

tvfan

Recording without a sub never seemed to work until we had a HD box … Recording without a sub never seemed to work until we had a HD box installed, somehow the old Sky+ box still is able to record despite only having a old sky/freesat card in it. Strange.

same with us. we have an old sky+ box and it does record. well.. frozen on red light since june but im looking to replace the hdd and hopefully should be right as rain. but back to main point- lord knows how, but it does record. ive never had a sky+ subscription and the box was purchased 2nd hand

I have been thinking about cancelling my subscription for a while now , but held back as I didn't want to fork out on a free sat box and didn't want to lose the recording service. I'd this is true that I may be able to record without subscription I'll cancel tomorrow! Anyone else any experience on this? I have just the standard sky+ box.

Banned

Dealmaker

I have been thinking about cancelling my subscription for a while now , … I have been thinking about cancelling my subscription for a while now , but held back as I didn't want to fork out on a free sat box and didn't want to lose the recording service. I'd this is true that I may be able to record without subscription I'll cancel tomorrow! Anyone else any experience on this? I have just the standard sky+ box.

you won't be able to.

Thank you for this thread and replies.

I am considering canceling sky as well.

Anyone remember On Digital? I had it years ago and it was excellent.

I've been with Virgin for a few years, then Sky and its all Crap really.

Dealmaker

I have been thinking about cancelling my subscription for a while now , … I have been thinking about cancelling my subscription for a while now , but held back as I didn't want to fork out on a free sat box and didn't want to lose the recording service. I'd this is true that I may be able to record without subscription I'll cancel tomorrow! Anyone else any experience on this? I have just the standard sky+ box.

It will cost you £10 per month sub if you want that on sky+, alternatively look at my recommendation above

Cancelled mine 3 weeks ago and my sky sub ends next week, I've had 5 years at half price just keep cancelling every year and either get offered half price or I wait for a offer, not too bothered if it ends or not, I don't have sport or movies but not willing to pay £26 a month for it , I await your call sky

Banned

blaster

Cancelled mine 3 weeks ago and my sky sub ends next week, I've had 5 … Cancelled mine 3 weeks ago and my sky sub ends next week, I've had 5 years at half price just keep cancelling every year and either get offered half price or I wait for a offer, not too bothered if it ends or not, I don't have sport or movies but not willing to pay £26 a month for it , I await your call sky

50%?

You must like chucking your money away!

Shirley you mean 75%? X)

blaster

Cancelled mine 3 weeks ago and my sky sub ends next week, I've had 5 … Cancelled mine 3 weeks ago and my sky sub ends next week, I've had 5 years at half price just keep cancelling every year and either get offered half price or I wait for a offer, not too bothered if it ends or not, I don't have sport or movies but not willing to pay £26 a month for it , I await your call sky

£26pm WOW - I pay £32 for everything including HD pack...

I could of haggled further but happy to pay £32
    Edited by: "ed1980" 13th Mar 2013

They've literally just rang me back. Offered me basic package and hd for £26 with no 'contract' term.

I politely told him that was terrible and the only way I'd stay is if it was £12 per month.

Banned

I miss MC in these threads! X)

Banned

Who?

ed1980

£26pm WOW - I pay £32 for everything including HD pack...I could of h … £26pm WOW - I pay £32 for everything including HD pack...I could of haggled further but happy to pay £32

surely if i OWN the sky box i should be able to record any programs i receive through the box ...how can sky disable a function on a recordable box i own?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4552123
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp1122
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546

See more discussions