Sky box for Freesat?

Found 12th JulEdited by:"wide"
I'm moving and I'm not keeping my Sky account, can't really afford it now.

The previous tenant did have Sky so it should be plumbed in... Someone there said you can get Freesat with a Sky box even if you don't actually have a Sky account.

Is this true?

I have a 2TB Sky HD box but it sounds like the sort of thing that's hard to know *exactly* how it will work until I try it.

I assume I'll lose existing recordings and, even if it does receive and show free channels, I probably can't use the box as a PVR.

Can anyone give me a full explanation of how it works and doesn't work?

Many thanks

Edits:

- Not a Q-box, not an old white (Thompson-style) box.
Community Updates
AskStreamingTV
8 Comments
Yes but I'm sure it's only if its not a sky q box. Unfortunately you cannot use the record function either
Plug the satellite cable into the Sky box and you will be able to view free to air channels. Annoyingly the guide will still show all channels and you won't know if you have access to watch them until you try.

You will lose access to recording, catchup and saved recorded shows.

Personally I'd get a Humax freesat box, functionally better with a great guide and all catchup apps. Believe 4HD is currently not included on freesat

Even better if you have a TV aerial or can have one fitted is a cheap 2nd hand BT Youview TV box
Yes but tou can watch channels/use tv guide only. No record/catchup etc. Sky will keep calling you with offers trying to get you to reactivate also. They ended up activating the recording functionality for free for me to keep me as a broadband customer
As above humax
Again as above Humax.
I am in the same boat we have a 2tb hd box plugged in to the dish. We get free view channels and use of tv guide. Sky offered me a freesat card that I believe would give me recording functionality and some more channels (nothing exciting however like sports, movies etc) and the card was like £25? Seemed a bit of a con really as the channel list was crap imo.
Not sure if it's changed, but a few channels require a Sky "Freesat from Sky" card, listed as CH4 and CH5, 5* etc., with Pick only available on FSFS (the others are on Freesat the other type).
If I recall, on no card Sky, you only get one region.

NB. An expired subscription card matched to the box will generally operate as FSFS until any re-issue is needed
matth999912 h, 17 m ago

Not sure if it's changed, but a few channels require a Sky "Freesat from …Not sure if it's changed, but a few channels require a Sky "Freesat from Sky" card, listed as CH4 and CH5, 5* etc., with Pick only available on FSFS (the others are on Freesat the other type).If I recall, on no card Sky, you only get one region.NB. An expired subscription card matched to the box will generally operate as FSFS until any re-issue is needed

That list is years out of date.

CH4, CH5 etc are FTA and have been for years now. There are only about five FTV channels now that require a Sky box and card if you wish to view them. Plus as the OP already has a Sky account which they are cancelling they should also have a Sky card which will work as a Freesat from Sky card once the subscription expires .
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 13th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants