Posted 4 days ago

sky box to stop receving software updates upgrade to sky q for free

4342609-UUyyO.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

28 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Must admit I thought they were phasing out Sky Q (still have HD+ box)
    They are. They're winding down satellite services and wanting customers to switch to Stream.

The satellite contracts run until 2028 or 2029 after which there may not be a satellite to provide transmissions.
    Sky q box is pretty awful compared to sky hd box
    It’s far better. 
    Sky arn't being kind here, they're just getting ahead of the curve for new laws, one that just came into law and another coming - More info on the UK Govt website Secure by design
    The other is from the UK Parliament Telecommunications (Security) Act 2021 (edited)
    I have had the same box for many years and have stored many recordings (some of my family) which are no longer available.
    If I change or my box fails most of these recordings are lost forever as Sky CLAIM they cannot be copied to another device!
    We currently use 2x2tb boxes.
    Q is offering us 1 TB between us!
    This is a BIG step backwards!
    I haven't had Sky for a while but I hate the Q box. So overblown compared to the Sky+ HD boxes.

With this push towards streaming everything I can see them trying to phase out recording all together just so they can deliver even more advertising.

The Q box that I had/have is still sitting in the cupboard as well. My Sky contract ended a long time ago and they haven't bothered to send me anything to return the box.
    I agree with all you say Bud!
    We received this message too.

Does anyone know if going for this, Sky put you on a new contract?

I would contact Sky to ask but know, from previous experience, their staff are prone to lying.
    Free to install, but you still have to pay the monthly fee for Sky Q (currently £10 I think)
's avatar