Expired

Sky broadband and using a o2 router (or another own router)?

Found 20th Oct 2013
Would someone be able to tell me if and how I would be able to setup my old o2 router to the sky one or (a new one) as this sky hub router that I have has very bad range

Thanks
Community Updates
AskBroadbandO2RouterSky
12 Comments
You can use a program like Wireshark to sniff out the login details from your current Sky router to be entered in to your other router. I don't know the exact steps but you can look around online.

Unfortunately I think o2's routers are locked to o2, so I think you'll have to use some other router that you own.
Rather than using a different router, it'll be easier to leave the sky router to do the routing, and just add a wireless access point to increase your range.
craigstephens

Rather than using a different router, it'll be easier to leave the sky … Rather than using a different router, it'll be easier to leave the sky router to do the routing, and just add a wireless access point to increase your range.

Would you be able to provide me with more info and how this can be done?

Thanks

LetoKynes

You can use a program like Wireshark to sniff out the login details from … You can use a program like Wireshark to sniff out the login details from your current Sky router to be entered in to your other router. I don't know the exact steps but you can look around online.Unfortunately I think o2's routers are locked to o2, so I think you'll have to use some other router that you own.

Thank you for that, will look into it
craigstephens

Rather than using a different router, it'll be easier to leave the sky … Rather than using a different router, it'll be easier to leave the sky router to do the routing, and just add a wireless access point to increase your range.

LetoKynes

You can use a program like Wireshark to sniff out the login details from … You can use a program like Wireshark to sniff out the login details from your current Sky router to be entered in to your other router. I don't know the exact steps but you can look around online.Unfortunately I think o2's routers are locked to o2, so I think you'll have to use some other router that you own.

A wireless access point can be an actual access point you get from PC World Amazon etc, or you can just get a cable router, take an ethernet cable from your sky hub into the input of the new router, and away you go. Using your O2 router wont work as that is an ADSL router which will need an ADSL connection (like your sky one) - And will probably have its settings locked down so you can't change them.
Sky are not happy about us wanting to use our own routers. For instructions on how to, click here.

O2 routers are locked. Not sure if you're aware, but you may have to return your router if you leave O2 or require a replacement.
Personally I find the new sky hub (white box) quite good, nice and fast in my house, much better than the old Sagemcom ones.
craigstephens

LetoKynes

You can use a program like Wireshark to sniff out the login details … You can use a program like Wireshark to sniff out the login details from your current Sky router to be entered in to your other router. I don't know the exact steps but you can look around online.Unfortunately I think o2's routers are locked to o2, so I think you'll have to use some other router that you own.

Mucus69

Sky are not happy about us wanting to use our own routers. For … Sky are not happy about us wanting to use our own routers. For instructions on how to, click here.O2 routers are locked. Not sure if you're aware, but you may have to return your router if you leave O2 or require a replacement.

aircanman

Personally I find the new sky hub (white box) quite good, nice and fast … Personally I find the new sky hub (white box) quite good, nice and fast in my house, much better than the old Sagemcom ones.

Thanks

Thanks

I see, I'm getting speeds of 5 mb/s and I can't access the wifi upstairs
craigstephens

LetoKynes

You can use a program like Wireshark to sniff out the login details … You can use a program like Wireshark to sniff out the login details from your current Sky router to be entered in to your other router. I don't know the exact steps but you can look around online.Unfortunately I think o2's routers are locked to o2, so I think you'll have to use some other router that you own.

Mucus69

Sky are not happy about us wanting to use our own routers. For … Sky are not happy about us wanting to use our own routers. For instructions on how to, click here.O2 routers are locked. Not sure if you're aware, but you may have to return your router if you leave O2 or require a replacement.

aircanman

Personally I find the new sky hub (white box) quite good, nice and fast … Personally I find the new sky hub (white box) quite good, nice and fast in my house, much better than the old Sagemcom ones.

Ah gutted, to be honest, if speed is an issue in wireless area, there must either be something massively wrong with your wireless connection or there is something up elsewhere, even with a poor signal you should be speed testing at the full broadband rate, have you speed checked with a cable?
When I wanted to use my own router with Sky I discovered that I would be breaching their T&C's. As they regularly "talk" to routers they will know. One time when my router was turned off as I had connection problems, they knew it was turned off. I would speak to Sky and argue you are paying for a service you are not getting.
I increased my wireless range with one of those Netgear plugs from Currys so I could get wireless on the phone in the garden. im with Sky and works well.
debbiedturner

I increased my wireless range with one of those Netgear plugs from Currys … I increased my wireless range with one of those Netgear plugs from Currys so I could get wireless on the phone in the garden. im with Sky and works well.

I used one of these and it did help, some houses are just plain terrible at keeping a wireless signal, which made it hell for me! - With regards to Sky talking to routers, they don't, they just have basic tools to see if they are on and off, and will most likely be able to tap into them for support purposes, putting on your own router will not cause any issues even if they catch you out.
OP, have you first tried the different wifi channels the sky router can do? (ch1-ch13)

If you have tried this to no avail, I have the old sky router (made by dlink 1204s model) which is ethernet to a dlink dir-615 router with dd-wrt firmware on it...

I turned off the sky wifi and dhcp and just let the dlink dir-615 router do dhcp and wifi - works a charm and wifi is stronger due to the 615 actually having 2x antennae which can be angled as needed!

HTH
Edited by: "wellen1981" 21st Oct 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants