Expired

Sky broadband issues, is fibre the answer to my problems???

Found 3rd Apr 2014
Hi people, I have recently been having issues with my sky broadband width, can anyone offer any advice. I have had sky unlimited broadband for 18 months with no real issues until recently. I use the internet a lot for streaming netflix etc.... They sent me a wifi extender but this seems to make things worse. I have tested the download and it is about 4meg. I am in contract on my line rental with sky until November at £2.50 per month so not looking to change provider at the moment. I currently pay £7.50 for unlimited broadband which is quite fair, they are offering me sky fibre unlimited for £7.50 for 6 months, then £20 per month, my expected speed is 40meg. Does anyone have any experience of similar issues with standard unlimited broadband, or is fibre worth the extra???

Thanks
Community Updates
AskBroadbandMovieSky
20 Comments
Having issues with skyBB... Their routers are awful. They keep trying to get me to move to fibre... But that's means another 12 month contract. I'm leaving. You should aswell.
Original Poster
Thanks ub1ib2, I think my issue may be router based, I can browse the internet quite quickly in the living room where the router is based, but in any other room in the house it is really slow, would upgrading to fibre potentially solve this problem, as I dont want to be locked in for another 12 months with my current level of service?
use a better router, or piggy back another router to be used as a wireless access point If you're having wifi issues .
I have the black hub as the main router and 2 others connected and acting as access points, using channels 1, 6 & 11 I have universal coverage over house and garden. but only going from adsl to fibre will boost connection speeds
Original Poster
wolf359 thanks for that comment, but you have lost me, can you point me in the direction of how to gain more information on how to do this? So are you saying that going to fibre will boost connection speeds for just general browsing throughout the house, or is it likely to be signal issues as oppose to download speed?
So what is the actual problem you are having OP? Losing connection or slow connection? Fibre won't help if you are losing connection but should if the internet is too slow.

A lot of people do not rate sky routers but personally I have never had a problem. I get 4meg now but am going onto fibre. I got the hub delivered today and fibre goes live on the 8th. I'm paying £20 for bb but got half price line rental so it's £27.70 a month, ask if you ca get that deal or maybe better.
Djd1981

wolf359 thanks for that comment, but you have lost me, can you point me … wolf359 thanks for that comment, but you have lost me, can you point me in the direction of how to gain more information on how to do this? So are you saying that going to fibre will boost connection speeds for just general browsing throughout the house, or is it likely to be signal issues as oppose to download speed?

If you have an extender try changing where you place it. You want it near enough to your router so that it is in a location where your speed is still relatively good, if it is too far it will only extend the poor signal it is receiving if you know what I mean.
Original Poster
Hi rdtorres, my current package with sky is £42.50 per month, £2.50 line rental, £7.50 unlimited broadband and the rest is my TV package of entertainment with sport. Recently I have been finding that loading standard web pages (this one, bbc, amazon etc has been really slow, particularly in rooms away from where the router is situated. I have used a broadband speed test and it regularly shows 4meg plus in all rooms, so I am confused as to why this has now become an issue, whereas it has not been like this for the last 18 months (it has always been slightly slower in the furthest rooms away).

I took advantage of the wifi extender offer (got it for free), but this seems to interfere if anything with the main router and makes the browsing worse.

Basically they have offered me fibre unlimited for £7.50 per month for 6 months (so my bill will still be £42.50 for 6 months) then £20 a month. They will also send me the black router (I have the same looking one in white) and activate it free of charge.

I just want to know if A) it will improve my browsing speed throughout the house B) is it worth the extra???

Thanks
Original Poster
Oh rdtorres.....I have been putting the wifi extender in the room where the signal is the weakest eg study or bedroom.....am I supposed to place it by the router (eg in the living room???) this may explain why it seems to make the signal worse when I use it?!
Djd1981

Oh rdtorres.....I have been putting the wifi extender in the room where … Oh rdtorres.....I have been putting the wifi extender in the room where the signal is the weakest eg study or bedroom.....am I supposed to place it by the router (eg in the living room???) this may explain why it seems to make the signal worse when I use it?!

You basically want it not too close but not too far. Too close and it won't extend much but too far and it would be extending a weak signal, so if you have a decent signal 1-2 rooms along place it there.

It is strange that you are getting problems but all your speed tests are showing fine, 4meg you shouldn't be having problems loading pages. Have you tried multiple computers/ devices to make sure it isn't a slow laptop etc? Is your WiFi signal icon on laptop or whatever low when it's slow loading?
Original Poster
Yes it is the same on smartphone, nexus, ipad etc....The wifi image in the corner of the screen always shows as half or less when it is slow loading (in fact most of the time when I am more than one room away from the router!) Do you have any experience of sky fibre broadband?
Original Poster
I have just placed the wifi extender 3 foot away from the router in the lounge to test and gone upstairs and the pages on my ipad appear to load MUCH faster, hope this is not just a fluke!. (Just seen Christian Benteke is out for 6 months!).
Djd1981

Yes it is the same on smartphone, nexus, ipad etc....The wifi image in … Yes it is the same on smartphone, nexus, ipad etc....The wifi image in the corner of the screen always shows as half or less when it is slow loading (in fact most of the time when I am more than one room away from the router!) Do you have any experience of sky fibre broadband?

Well I'd just try bringing the extender closer to your router first and see if that helps- try it one room or so away, preferably where you still have quite high signal on WiFi icon.

It seems like the problem is signal so I don't know whether fibre would solve the problem, the new hub router might be slightly better but I do know that sky routers are known for poor signal and are not dual band- probably why they give out free extenders.

I haven't used sky fibre myself yet, it goes live Tuesday I can let you know then what I think but I'm in a relatively small 2 bed flat and haven't experienced any problems with signal at all, so probably not the best comparison.
Original Poster
Thanks for all the help rdtorres.....can I be cheeky and ask why you decided to go with fibre broadband over the standard then, as this may sway my decision into whether to upgrade?
Djd1981

Thanks for all the help rdtorres.....can I be cheeky and ask why you … Thanks for all the help rdtorres.....can I be cheeky and ask why you decided to go with fibre broadband over the standard then, as this may sway my decision into whether to upgrade?

The main reason is while 4 meg is fine when 1 device is downloading/ streaming, we have problems if for example I am streaming a football match and my son is playing on his xbox, or if he is trying to watch a YouTube video when something else us downloading etc. I was paying £7.50 for bb and £15 odd for line rental but after calling sky got £20 for fibre and half price line rental so paying £27.70 for fibre instead of about 23£ for 4 meg. For less than a fiver extra I thought I'd go for it.

Also I had to wait ages to view any on demand in HD where as with fibre I should be able to start viewing-hopefully- instantly.
Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments,to be fair me and my wife only tend to use the internet for browsing on our tablets and smartphones most of the time. I do stream a lot of music from my cloud storage but not had an issue with this and my sky box, apple tv and ps3 are hard-wired into the router and always been spot on. I will see how we get on with moving the wifi extender around before giving anymore money to sky!

Thanks again
Try a wifi home plug using the electric circuit to improve connection. I get excellent coverage in my lounge which is about 50 feet away from the router in the study.
I had a similar thing - my speed dropped to under 2mb when it had previously been fine (around 11mb) and when I spoke to Sky about it they kept suggesting fibre. I didn't particularly want to spend anymore money with them so after much argument they eventually sent out an Openreach engineer who found about half a dozen faults between my house and the exchange. When they were sorted my speed went back up.

As regards the wifi extender, the set up advice always baffles me:
If the wireless light is flashing white this means your Wireless Booster is out of range of your router...If you move your Wireless Booster too close to your router i.e into the area where you already have Wi-Fi coverage, it will cause interference.
Keep in mind too the time of day your browsing when it starts slowing down. You will find normally in the evenings it will be slower as most people are using the net who are connected to the same telephone exchange as yourself.

Fibre might help that for a while, but I assume as more people switch to fibre the same situation will arise.
stay well clear of sky fibre optic, I had regular BT broadband was ok, went to sky fibre it is slow and drops out every couple of minutes, they are not really interested in sorting the problem,spent many hours on the phone to them.they say will send an engineer but will get a hefty bill if they think is not their problem,like id know anyways,leaving them once 12 months contract ends
pixiekid

stay well clear of sky fibre optic, I had regular BT broadband was ok, … stay well clear of sky fibre optic, I had regular BT broadband was ok, went to sky fibre it is slow and drops out every couple of minutes, they are not really interested in sorting the problem,spent many hours on the phone to them.they say will send an engineer but will get a hefty bill if they think is not their problem,like id know anyways,leaving them once 12 months contract ends

Almost 3 years and you bump the thread oO
Anyways, as Sky have just raised their prices, you can cancel without charge, you should of been notified.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants