Expired

Sky broadband keeps cutting out

Found 10th Aug 2013
My sky broadband keeps cutting out about 10 times a day and so they sent me a new router if I sign up to 12 months with them which I have but the problem still exists so it is not the router.

I will have to ask for an engineer to come out as they have already done all the remote tests and nothing shows up as a problem.

I am trying to gauge if this problem is unique to me or does it affect other people with sky broadband? I wonder if I would be better off joining BT for example.

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.
Community Updates
45 Comments
My sister had a similar problem, not sure what exactly but I know she was getting sick of ringing them to try and sort it out, in the end she ended up going back to virgin media for Internet but keeping the sky TV.
id never have resigned the contract knowing there was an existing fault tho.......If the engineer comes out and finds nothing wrong they will charge you for it
Original Poster
pink-ka

My sister had a similar problem, not sure what exactly but I know she was … My sister had a similar problem, not sure what exactly but I know she was getting sick of ringing them to try and sort it out, in the end she ended up going back to virgin media for Internet but keeping the sky TV.

did that solve her problem? i would like to work out if it is my phone line that is causing the problem or whether it is sky that is the problem, in which case i can move to another provider.
there is a problem with the internet and so they actually sign you up to a new contract just to FIX there fault

Original Poster
jase.2

id never have resigned the contract knowing there was an existing fault … id never have resigned the contract knowing there was an existing fault tho.......If the engineer comes out and finds nothing wrong they will charge you for it

well, as my router was nearly 4 years old, it was feasible that it was faulty so they said i could buy a new one to see if that is the culprit but i could have it for free if i sign up for another 12 months. i thought it was worth a try.

are you sure about the engineer cost? they never mentioned any cost to me.
mutley1

well, as my router was nearly 4 years old, it was feasible that it was … well, as my router was nearly 4 years old, it was feasible that it was faulty so they said i could buy a new one to see if that is the culprit but i could have it for free if i sign up for another 12 months. i thought it was worth a try.are you sure about the engineer cost? they never mentioned any cost to me.

VIrgin just replace ya router or main box for nowt if its faulty
I had a similar problem with a different provider, turns out it was noise on the line. Have you done a quiet line test?
Original Poster
Havince

VIrgin just replace ya router or main box for nowt if its faulty

i have heard complaints about virgin broadband being very slow and customer service being terrible.
are they any good for broadband?
mutley1

did that solve her problem? i would like to work out if it is my phone … did that solve her problem? i would like to work out if it is my phone line that is causing the problem or whether it is sky that is the problem, in which case i can move to another provider.

I think it was just sky which was the problem with hers as she was with virgin before she went to sky and had no problems and since she's gone back to virgin the Internet is fine again.
mutley1

i have heard complaints about virgin broadband being very slow and … i have heard complaints about virgin broadband being very slow and customer service being terrible.are they any good for broadband?

I've been with virgin 7 years and never had any problems, never really needed their customer service up until the other day when I upgraded my tv box but they were very helpful.
Mine goes through phases. It can be fine for a fortnight, and then needs to be restarted 4/5 times a day for a week.
Original Poster
sancho1983

I had a similar problem with a different provider, turns out it was noise … I had a similar problem with a different provider, turns out it was noise on the line. Have you done a quiet line test?

what's the noise test?
they did ask me if my phone line was clear and it sounded ok, not as clear as crystal but it was working.
Original Poster
jaybear88

Mine goes through phases. It can be fine for a fortnight, and then needs … Mine goes through phases. It can be fine for a fortnight, and then needs to be restarted 4/5 times a day for a week.

are you with sky? ours seem worst on a saturday so i wonder if it is due to the volume of traffic.
do you have your phone line with sky too?

It's probably a phone line fault, there's not much can go wrong in the house that would cause an intermittent fault.
Chances are the 'engineer' will fix this at the exchange or up a pole rather than in your house now that the router has been ruled out.

I had an intermittent problem with my line and was told I'd be charged £60 call out if the engineer found the fault was down to my equipment? - carry on I said and the next day I had a telephone to say the fault was 'fixed'
I've no idea what they did but they said it was an exchange problem, it did fix the problem - and I never saw the engineer.
ring 17070 and follow voice for quiet line test

also Get your line stats from router to check SNR attenuation etc.

kitz.co.uk/ads…php
Edited by: "dontasciime" 10th Aug 2013
mutley1

i have heard complaints about virgin broadband being very slow and … i have heard complaints about virgin broadband being very slow and customer service being terrible.are they any good for broadband?

well in 5 years never had the problem you have got lol
Check your router log and see if it shows up anything of note
mutley1

Broadband, apart from the very occasional outage (which happens with any provider), I found to be practically faultless.
Switched to Sky yesterday though, just to save cash!
Seriously though Mutley. This may just be a line/broadband issue, but I was getting similar when my equipment was being hacked.

Check your firewall is at the highest level of protection. You need it for this site. And make sure that you are not allowing remote access of any kind. Or sharing any files or folders across the network.

If you are. Unplug and sort out your equipment before reconnecting.
mutley1

I dont know how i cope with virgins slow speeds

Edited by: "MrToast" 10th Aug 2013
Is this a new problem or has it always happened?
Are you're phones/faxs/digital boxes correctly filtered?
Do you hear any noises, crackiling, buzzing, humming on your phone line? Does broadband cut out when the phone rings, any pattern?
You've had an engineer visit, what did the engineer say?

Original Poster
we go through periods when it does not happen much then it happens 2 or 3 times a day but there are periods when it happens up to 10 times a day.

the phone line seems fine and when i did the quiet test it seems fine.

the engineer has not come out yet, i will have to ask for him to come and have a look i think.
Original Poster
fox2020

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

i get
download speed 12.9
upload speed 0.87
ping latency 39.25

not sure what this means though?
Explanation of results:

Basic Test Results

Download Speed (Mbps) - This is the actual download throughput speed achieved during the performance test and is measured in mega-bits per second (Mbps). This shows how fast your connection was able to download a file from the test server onto your device.
Upload Speed (Mbps) - This is the actual upload throughput speed achieved during the performance test and is measured in mega-bits per second (Mbps). This shows how fast your connection was able to upload a file from your device to the test server.
Latency(ms)-This is a measure of how long it takes to request a data item from a remote location. In this test, your device requests a file from the speed test server using HTTP and the delay is calculated on how long it takes for the file to arrive on your device. The time delay is measured in milliseconds.
Paddy_o_furniture

Is this a new problem or has it always happened?Are you're … Is this a new problem or has it always happened?Are you're phones/faxs/digital boxes correctly filtered?Do you hear any noises, crackiling, buzzing, humming on your phone line? Does broadband cut out when the phone rings, any pattern?You've had an engineer visit, what did the engineer say?

Are you a network engineer?

mutley1

i getdownload speed 12.9upload speed 0.87ping latency 39.25not sure what … i getdownload speed 12.9upload speed 0.87ping latency 39.25not sure what this means though?

Get your line stats from router then look for frequent / frequency of snr drops with a view to this possibly being repetitive electrical impulse noise (rein).

Possible / central heating coming on, a timed light, a timed anything in your vicinity.

See if you modem is compatible with routerstats which will plot your connection / snr over a given period

http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

Make sure your using one filter only at line in to premises, no extension cables, doublers, only just your modem for a few days to test then introduce things back. If you've got another filter replace the existing one with it. Replace the existing rj11 cable (modem cable) Move phone away from modem/router or better still if you can live without your house phone disconnect it for a few days to see if things improve.

Open up faceplate to get access to so called test socket plug in there http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/bt-master-socket-nte5.shtml

Maybe drop your sync a little with DMT tool if compatible with your modem or if your modem has a hidden feature to do this so that this in turn might raise your SNR so that your connection hopefully remains more stable over a longer period of time.

http://dmt.mhilfe.de/

Or ask ISP if they can and use a level of interleaving and set INP.

Edited by: "dontasciime" 10th Aug 2013
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKY-WIRELESS-ROUTER-Same-Day-Dispatch-/271185663841?pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Routers&hash=item3f23ecd761

buy one from ebay to eliminate..

very cheap
mutley1

i have heard complaints about virgin broadband being very slow

What? Don't make me post my speedtest result. I think you need a new source for your info
Original Poster
Chiptivo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKY-WIRELESS-ROUTER-Same-Day-Dispatch-/271185663841?pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Routers&hash=item3f23ecd761buy one from ebay to eliminate..very cheap

i already have a new router and the same problem so we have now established that it is not the router.
Original Poster
dontasciime

Get your line stats from router then look for frequent / frequency of snr … Get your line stats from router then look for frequent / frequency of snr drops with a view to this possibly being repetitive electrical impulse noise (rein).Possible / central heating coming on, a timed light, a timed anything in your vicinity. See if you modem is compatible with routerstats which will plot your connection / snr over a given period http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htmMake sure your using one filter only at line in to premises, no extension cables, doublers, only just your modem for a few days to test then introduce things back. If you've got another filter replace the existing one with it. Replace the existing rj11 cable (modem cable) Move phone away from modem/router or better still if you can live without your house phone disconnect it for a few days to see if things improve.Open up faceplate to get access to so called test socket plug in there http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/bt-master-socket-nte5.shtmlMaybe drop your sync a little with DMT tool if compatible with your modem or if your modem has a hidden feature to do this so that this in turn might raise your SNR so that your connection hopefully remains more stable over a longer period of time.http://dmt.mhilfe.de/Or ask ISP if they can and use a level of interleaving and set INP.

all this is beyond me. this is way above my head to follow.

My sky broadband keeps cutting out about 10 times a day and so they sent … My sky broadband keeps cutting out about 10 times a day and so they sent me a new router if I sign up to 12 months with them

So you signed up for another 12 months even though you did not know if it was the router that was at fault?

What if it is not the router? then you are signed up for another 12 months and the problem not resolved, a very expensive way of finding out the problem.

I have had two routers from Sky and both were sent free.
Edited by: "maccy1" 10th Aug 2013
WoolyM

Are you a network engineer?

I was, student now. Took my bit.
I had loads of problems at firstwith sky but between them and BT who own the lines, they kept blaming each other. It turned out to be a faulty socket. Then more problems. Every few weeks, broadband would cut off and sometimes even my landline. I phoned and told them. Again I was past from pillar to post. A BT engineer came out and said it must be the router. By then I had already eliminated the router as a problem. Finally after both being off for 3 days I managed to convince them to go to the exchange and find something there. It turned out to be some sort of card they plug in for connection D... something. Try that. I found out that other people connecting through this card had also reported the same issues.
Edited by: "hellbentondeals" 10th Aug 2013
plug directly in your master socket

sky 3rd line can view the switch at the local exchange to see line noise, drop outs etc..
dontasciime

Get your line stats from router then look for frequent / frequency of snr … Get your line stats from router then look for frequent / frequency of snr drops with a view to this possibly being repetitive electrical impulse noise (rein).Possible / central heating coming on, a timed light, a timed anything in your vicinity. See if you modem is compatible with routerstats which will plot your connection / snr over a given period http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htmMake sure your using one filter only at line in to premises, no extension cables, doublers, only just your modem for a few days to test then introduce things back. If you've got another filter replace the existing one with it. Replace the existing rj11 cable (modem cable) Move phone away from modem/router or better still if you can live without your house phone disconnect it for a few days to see if things improve.Open up faceplate to get access to so called test socket plug in there http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/bt-master-socket-nte5.shtmlMaybe drop your sync a little with DMT tool if compatible with your modem or if your modem has a hidden feature to do this so that this in turn might raise your SNR so that your connection hopefully remains more stable over a longer period of time.http://dmt.mhilfe.de/Or ask ISP if they can and use a level of interleaving and set INP.

Go easy on the poor guy, I have a degree in CS and I still found that a bit overwhelming lol.

OP, this isn't really my area but hopefully I can help you get the data that dontasciime etc requested;

Type in the sky router IP address (192.168.0.1) into your address bar. This will then ask for authorization, the default username is "admin" and password is "sky". This will get you onto the settings page for your router and at the bottom click "show statistics". From here you can see the line attenuation and noise margin (in dB).

Personally (remember that I don't really know this field), I'd change the refresh rate of these stats ("poll interval") to 1 second, then start testing all my different devices in the house (make phone calls etc) to see if anything on your end is causing a problem.
mutley1

On the 60 unlimited package for bb, been with vm for years, excellent service, cs is a bit frustrating at times but everything has always been resolved. Had two routers and a free super hub 2 recently with no hassles. I compemplate moving away from them, as I use sky for my tv, but I just don't think I would get such a good service elsewhere. FYI Infinty from bt is not in my area.
Original Poster
maccy1

So you signed up for another 12 months even though you did not know if it … So you signed up for another 12 months even though you did not know if it was the router that was at fault? What if it is not the router? then you are signed up for another 12 months and the problem not resolved, a very expensive way of finding out the problem. I have had two routers from Sky and both were sent free.

but i don't have your persuasive skills to get a free router for being charming.
i tried already and they said no and i can't find unlimited broadband for £7.50pm with other providers.
Banned
your were scammed

sky : if you sign up with us for 12 months we will send you a brand new spanking router

op : okay
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants