Sky Broadband working but No Dial Tone on the phone - Anyone else had this?

Found 10th Apr 2012
My Sky Broadband is working but No Dial Tone on the phone.

Therefore I am unable to use the home phone to call out.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same fault and if so if it was a Sky fault or ours and what did they do to correct the fault.
Community Updates
21 Comments
Banned
what do you need a dial tone for? do you have a phone connected?

im having naked adsl fitted in but dont require a dial tone nor a phone
Original Poster
casparwhite

what do you need a dial tone for? do you have a phone connected?im having … what do you need a dial tone for? do you have a phone connected?im having naked adsl fitted in but dont require a dial tone nor a phone

I have no dial tone to use my house phone.
Banned
send them an email then, sounds like a fault of some description

or use ur mobile
Did anyone ring you befor this happened?
iv`e had this happen to me 3 times over two years on virgin someone did not hang up, the orther times was virgin was at fault (had to ring them up to test line)

Just a thought can you ring your house phone, does it ring.
Edited by: "timtom13" 10th Apr 2012
Original Poster
casparwhite

send them an email then, sounds like a fault of some descriptionor use ur … send them an email then, sounds like a fault of some descriptionor use ur mobile

I have called them and they are sending an Openreach engineer out to us over the next 72 hours but we are liable if the fault is found to be us.

I have tried the test socked and still nothing which makes me think the fault is external and therefore a SKy/BT fault
Original Poster
timtom13

Did anyone ring you befor this happened?iv`e had this happen to me 3 … Did anyone ring you befor this happened?iv`e had this happen to me 3 times over two years on virgin someone did not hang up, the orther times was virgin was at fault (had to ring them up to test line)Just a thought can you ring your house phone, does it ring.

No one rang have been away a couple of days and the weather has been very bad.

If I call the house no phones ring but the call is going through as you can hear is calling on my mobile.
Try a diffrent phone in the socket, if you have one, might be a fault with your phone, ask next door or a mate.
Banned
have you tried another house phone just to make sure?
We've got sky broadband n our land line is fine.
Original Poster
timtom13

Try a diffrent phone in the socket, if you have one, might be a fault … Try a diffrent phone in the socket, if you have one, might be a fault with your phone, ask next door or a mate.

Yes tried a different phone and still not working and tried it in the test socket
Original Poster
casparwhite

have you tried another house phone just to make sure?

Yes tried all house phones, and different phone and nothing is working home phone wise
Banned
leave it to the engineer and forget about it then
Original Poster
aunty jane

We've got sky broadband n our land line is fine.

Have read abouts others having this fault as broadband can work on one wire whereas the home phone needs two wires but not sure how they fixed the fault or fault wise.
Original Poster
casparwhite

leave it to the engineer and forget about it then

Just curious on who is liable for the cost!
Does this cover you at all?
http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

I've had a similar issue and it was indeed BT side, Sky was working fine as far as broadband
And they were liable for costs. Hate all this cost business...we pay over-priced rental and they still want to use the liability line
Original Poster
aj84

Does this cover you at … Does this cover you at all?http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_statusI've had a similar issue and it was indeed BT side, Sky was working fine as far as broadbandAnd they were liable for costs. Hate all this cost business...we pay over-priced rental and they still want to use the liability line

Thanks for that, we are in the Rossendale area, code is 01706 but this isnt shown on the BT service fault areas at the moment.
If you've tried a 2nd phone at the test socket and your still not getting a dial tone then there's a fault from behind the test socket to green box. This would have showed up when sky do line tests. The cost of this will e covered by sky.

I had exactly the same issue when i moved from TalkTalk to Sky - basically, when the engineer came on site, he found that the phone number associated with the line was totally different to the one which was supposed to be ported over from TalkTalk.

The engineer did his wizardry and got the original number re-associated with the line and everything went back to normal.
Original Poster
KingAzzA

If you've tried a 2nd phone at the test socket and your still not getting … If you've tried a 2nd phone at the test socket and your still not getting a dial tone then there's a fault from behind the test socket to green box. This would have showed up when sky do line tests. The cost of this will e covered by sky.

Tried the 2nd phone and Sky did a test saying there was a fault which they felt was internal but she did say this was not usually the case.
it is quite usual for broadband to work and the telephones not to work, or vice versa.

Try 2 x phones (not cordless ones) into the internal test socket of your main telephone socket (NTE5, also known as linebox), check guide at front of BT phonebook or at bt.com/faults (click on test your own equipment).

By removing the bottom half of the front plate to get to the test socket, you are disconnecting any internal extensions and the apparatus on those extensions that may be causing the problem. If you still have the same problem on 2 corded phones into the test socket then you will need to contact your provider who will arrange an Openreach engineer to call.

Openreach maintain the network up to and including the NTE5 (main socket) and will repair that free of charge as long as its not been damaged within the boundaries of your property. The Openreach engineer will charge if the problem is caused by your own apparatus or faulty internal wiring, or if the main socket has been damaged or the network damaged within the boundaries of your premises, will also charge for the callout if no fault is found.
Original Poster
Thanks for all the help, BT came out yesterday and replaced wiring into the house and the main socket for the house also.

No fee to pay as it was a BT fault.

THanks again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants