Sky channels looks bad on new 4K tv

Posted 11th May 2021
Hi
I just bought a new tv (Sony A8 Oled) and when I tune into a SD channel on my sky+ HD box, the picture can be really blurry and blocky to the point where it’s unwatchable. I’ve tried different settings on both the sky box and the tv itself but no luck. I am using the latest hdmi 2.1 .
I never had this problem when using my old crt tv using a scart cable.
I know Sony has the one of the best upscaling and motion handling in the business so why am I experiencing this?
Is there a technique to make SD content more watchable?
Community Updates
New Comment

26 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    SD TV in 2021 on an OLED
    get a CRT
    Author
    Gollywood12/05/2021 00:23

Or get it back from the local tip

Shouldn’t you be fixing your laptop which doesn’t turn on
    FatherTed12/05/2021 00:03

Your 4K TV can't perfectly upscale an SD image which your Sky HD box has …Your 4K TV can't perfectly upscale an SD image which your Sky HD box has already attempted to upscale to HD. It will always look poor but you'll get used to it.

Yep. Sony tvs are very good at upscaling sd broadcasts but you’ll need to use the inbuilt Freeview/ Freesat tuners. They can’t work miracles but sd material looks a lot better using the inbuilt tuner on my Sony tv compared to the output from my Humax Freeview recorder connected by HDMI.
    It’s the TV channel providers unfortunately, OP. They’re broadcasting low bitrate content across SD and HD. When that then gets blown up on newer flatscreens with higher resolutions, you see all the flaws.

The only “fix” as such, is to sit further away so your eyes don’t notice it as much. Other than that, there is nothing you can do. Upscaling can’t add or improve bitrates I’m afraid. People think higher resolutions are all you need but it’s no good having a higher resolution with poor bitrates. It’s polishing a turd and that’s what the picture quality of a lot of TV content is, in this country.

I’ve upscaled dvds on my 4K tv and they look a lot better than HD broadcasts on Sky. That says it all. Going to Sky Q won’t improve it either, so don’t let Sky drag you on board with that one. Just got to learn to live with it I’m afraid.
    Your 4K TV can't perfectly upscale an SD image which your Sky HD box has already attempted to upscale to HD. It will always look poor but you'll get used to it.
    AJ1012/05/2021 00:40

Shouldn’t you be fixing your laptop which doesn’t turn on

When I'm off from work, I will. Which I clearly stated in that thread
    Author
    Gollywood12/05/2021 01:09

When I'm off from work, I will. Which I clearly stated in that thread

I will try to find another laptop when I’ll visit the local tip for my crt because I have no faith in you trying to fix it
    AJ1012/05/2021 01:15

I will try to find another laptop when I’ll visit the local tip for my crt …I will try to find another laptop when I’ll visit the local tip for my crt because I have no faith in you trying to fix it

I've already replaced the laptop. But I'd like to get the old one going if I can. No need for a tip visit on my behalf
    This is normal with HDTV and plus (4k, uhd etc)
    People are getting too big of a tv for the room and cant sit far enough away
    Biddy212/05/2021 02:18

It’s the TV channel providers unfortunately, OP. They’re broadcasting low b …It’s the TV channel providers unfortunately, OP. They’re broadcasting low bitrate content across SD and HD. When that then gets blown up on newer flatscreens with higher resolutions, you see all the flaws. The only “fix” as such, is to sit further away so your eyes don’t notice it as much. Other than that, there is nothing you can do. Upscaling can’t add or improve bitrates I’m afraid. People think higher resolutions are all you need but it’s no good having a higher resolution with poor bitrates. It’s polishing a turd and that’s what the picture quality of a lot of TV content is, in this country. I’ve upscaled dvds on my 4K tv and they look a lot better than HD broadcasts on Sky. That says it all. Going to Sky Q won’t improve it either, so don’t let Sky drag you on board with that one. Just got to learn to live with it I’m afraid.

Author
    Toon_army11/05/2021 23:52

SD TV in 2021 on an OLED

Not going to watch 4K content all the time and the channel I watch only comes in SD
    CRT is best for sd. I regret getting rid of my CRT was basically equivalent of hd. What you can do is stop the upscaling which will improve it. But have to switch back each time you watch hd content so becomes annoying so best to get use to it.
    Might be worth checking your settings via the sky box…

Home
    Settings
    Setup
    Audio visual
    Picture resolution
    2160p UHD

Probably won’t change a thing on SD channels though
    SD is awful on most 4K tvs. The worst quality I have seen is via the itv player app
    The good news is that the SD image would be a lot worse on almost all other modern TVs
    ding12/05/2021 07:39

People are getting too big of a tv for the room and cant sit far enough …People are getting too big of a tv for the room and cant sit far enough away

Far enough away for SD channels, but there no point in buying a 4K TV and sitting so far away that you can't tell the difference between Full HD and 4K.
    Unfortunately this is a common thing when people get a new 4K tv. SD picture looks far worse than their old HD TV, and even in some cases the HD picture looks worse. Quality will also depend on the TV's upscaling ability and channel bitrate. I have my Sky Q box going through an AV receiver, it does a lot better at making SD pictures look decent than the upscale in my TV. I wouldn't say it ls worth shelling out money for it, but it is better. (edited)
    With TV's the better quality the input signal the better the picture. We have a BT Humax Youview recorder that upscales and we get a better picture using that for SD channels than direct from the TV's tuner and HD recordings on it are very near 4K quality. The TV's tuner is good for HD too but not that brilliant on some of the poorer quality SD channels.
    AJ1011/05/2021 23:55

Not going to watch 4K content all the time and the channel I watch only …Not going to watch 4K content all the time and the channel I watch only comes in SD

I got same problem I bought Sony kd55xh9505 and i upgrade free sky HD channels but the most Asian channels I watch in SD and it’s rubbish pictures quality compare to HD. I have to get used to off it.
    This may sound silly but have you tried changing some picture settings or looking online for a settings setup guide?

Sometimes options which you think will be better turned up such as sharpness are actually better lower down or at zero. As is the case with my 4k (non OLED) TV.
    The bigger the TV the worse it will look
    ouch, maybe i gotta cancel getting a 4k tv then lol, grandma watches SD content on a 46" 55 or even 65" its gonna look awful. ah this is gonna be problematic
    I find SD content perfectly watchable on my Samsung q90r. And that's at 65"
    I know when I watch some older sd content on my pc my TV shows it by default in a smaller size on the TV. As if it's showing it in its original form with alot of black around the edge. If I stretch the video to fill the screen it then looks rubbish. Maybe see if there's a option to not stretch the picture size and shrink it so that it's not stretching it. If that makes sense
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants