Groups

Sky dish for freeview on smart with skybox?

Hi
    I am planning to get a sky tv. they do free dish installation but after 12 months contract they said I have to return the sky box. I have a smart tv with free view n freesat built in.

can I connect sky dish direct to my tv?
    will I be able to watch free view channel without sky box?

thanks all in advance.. waiting for your feedbacks

cheers

14 Comments

Yes

I doubt sky will ask for the box back after a year anyway, also you can buy a cheap sky box from ebay for a few pounds if you change your tv or it does not work as well as the box.
    Edited by: "waterloo" 13th May

If you're getting sky q, I doubt the new LNB would be compatible with your TV.

I think the new sky q boxes do have to be returned if you don't continue with them.

It will be sky q I'm guessing. As mentioned the lnb is incompatible with older systems and Freeview. So ask, for a hybrid lnb. Then ask them again. Then ask the engineer when he turns up. They will try and fudge you off - this is so you can't get Freeview when contract runs out. And you will have to install a compatable lnb at your sat dish.

Don't think the op is after sky q just a basic install to use with the tv after the year is up.

nannafish

I think the new sky q boxes do have to be returned if you don't continue … I think the new sky q boxes do have to be returned if you don't continue with them.

Yes, your actually renting this box,so you need to return it, otherwise, their charge you !!

Original Poster

ptdborth

If you're getting sky q, I doubt the new LNB would be compatible with … If you're getting sky q, I doubt the new LNB would be compatible with your TV.

​what is LNB sorry I m not too clever with all these techie things..

Original Poster

waterloo

Don't think the op is after sky q just a basic install to use with the tv … Don't think the op is after sky q just a basic install to use with the tv after the year is up.

​Not sure with the box but I will have whatever they are supplying at the moment. whether it is Q box or the basic.

Original Poster

ptdborth

If you're getting sky q, I doubt the new LNB would be compatible with … If you're getting sky q, I doubt the new LNB would be compatible with your TV.

​how can I check if my TV is LNB compatible? I have Hi sense 65" curved bought in Dec 2015

Sort answer os yes. I left Smy & bought Goodmans Freesat recording box. Simply took satellite connection out of Sky box and placed onto Goodmans. Beware as Freesat & Freeview do not offer same channels so check what you want first. I only have satellote aeroal hence my choice was made for me. If you simply connect dosh to Freesat tv you will not have any recording facilities but then again in thesr days of instant streaming that's not much of an isdue.

I pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong though) that there isn't any freesat tvs that will work with the standard Sky Q LNB so you will have to ask for a hybrid one. If it's a sky HD install though (be surprised if it was mind) then your TV will be compatible.

The LNB is the bit you see on a satellite dish, it picks up the signal and amplifies it basically.
    So yes your TV will decode it if you put a sat dish up as its fully standard.

The sky q lnb sends all horizontal signals down one wire and verticals down the other wire, so nothing but a sky q box can decode it, that's my understanding of it.

It will work on your TV perfectly as long as you DONT get sky q.
    If you get sky q, you can only watch on a sky q box, as that's the only thing which understands the signal. After the year you would have to go to the satellite dish and install a normal LNB.

Or make the installation guy fit you a hybrid LNB like ptdborth says.
    If he won't, ask to phone his supervisor or something and kick off.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Amsterdam Booking.com advice33
      2. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2752
      3. Virgin Media - what is a good price?38
      4. plusnet mobile terrible35

See more discussions