Sky Fibre or Plusnet Fibre?

Found 18th Apr
Hi, my Sky subscription has just expired and they increased the price from £31.99 to £38.99 (line rental with 32-40mb fibre internet, line rental, no extra calls). They have a slightly faster fibre internet for £10 extra).

Needless to say, I'm shopping around and the best alternative seems to be Plusnet. Virgin don't reach my property and BT is more expensive.

I've checked the reviews on Trustpilot and on MSE for Plusnet. Plusnet score higher than Sky on those sites even though reviews are bad but then again the only people motivated to compalin are those with negative reviews. My personal experience with Sky was fine aside from the inevitable occasional issue with the router or line.

I'm wondering if I could also move my current Sim over to Plusnet (currently with Three PAYG - low user) and get an all in deal.

Price with Plusnet is £28.99 and possibly cheaper if I pay line rental upfront. There's also cashback possibility.
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
I use Plusnet for BB and mobile. Each SIM (x3) and BB are on a different account and its a right old pain in the backside. Plusnet don't seem to have reached that level of maturity HOWEVER; it means you can move individual services around and not get tied up in knots.

BB day to day is no better or worse than other major suppliers due to Openreach cables being aged not as good at volume high downloads.
Op, perhaps try and see what deal you can get from Sky using their online chat for your Sky Fibre: advisor.sky.com/cha…bal

Its better than calling, as the online chat somehow has more leeway in offering discounts.

I got £18pm line rental and 38MB unlimited fibre for 12 months using chat, after following tips from several posters and deals here back in March. Its not combined with any tv/cinema package. The standard "deal" around is £25 pm for unlimited fibre and line rental, and most posters got offered less than that. Cant comment on other providers though.
Have you considered Now Broadband, £20 per month for 12 month contract. £10 for the router, possible £70 ish cashback via topcashback or quidco.

Same service as Sky.

You might also want to look at what offers BT has going for infinity 1.
My personal view is to keep Phone/ BB , Mobile and TV apart and from different providers unless there is an overwhelming saving to be made by combining.

My view is that when negotiating discounts it seems only the threat of cancellation gets you to the best deals , push it right to the end and you get the best deals. I can do without any of these for a few days - but not the whole lot .

I would feel very uncomfortable come renewal time if all my eggs were, for instance , in the SKY basket - they would have you very nearly by the g**lies (and they know it !) .

I have Vodafone for mobile (best coverage in my area), SKY for tele , PlusNet for BB/Phone + BT Sport and have managed to successfully negotiate decent deals with all three over the past few years without having to change suppliers .
Edited by: "rogparki" 18th Apr
Just found out I can get fibre wahay, anyhow I went with the bt offer the other day but am unsure about commencing as my original order somehow got cancelled and when I try to speak to them I get passed about between 4-6 advisors each time which to me is a joke, i spoke to sky yesterday who offered me 38mb fibre on a 12m contract with no fees for £23.99pm, that's after they were offering an 18m at £29.99 with the fees a few days previous. I do t mind paying a few £ more if customer service is good and so far sky have been decent to me with regards to customer service. Might be worth trying them again via a phone call then live chat t
As they all offer different things
Like I said, I've been with Sky a long time and, overall, can't complain about their service in spite of what one may think about Murdoch.
I pay £29.99 for the fastest fibre on a 18-month contract with Plusnet.
No problems so far. Partner has the sim with them too.
Plusnet gets my vote too. If you have the youview TV then you can negotiate with them. Their customer service has been brilliant when I had a problem, phoning me back at a pre arranged time. You will get bad reviews but a lot of people have unreal expectations ( In reality if you complain about slow speeds is it unfair of them to ask you to carry out a few checks? Most of the complaints are from people who want it fixed there and then).
Cancelled Sky altogether a few weeks ago. Did not receive any offers or discounts. Glad to be shot of them and their double standards. Broadband, etc now with First Utility and have Netflix for box sets. Suits me fine.
Recently renewed with Sky, negotiated the same package as you (presuming you had fibre unlimited), £25 a month, £100 credit on the account, 12 month contract, I got offered it for £28 a month and no credit at first, then I asked to cancel as i didn't feel they valued me as a customer etc etc they then offered the Credit and then the further discount. Try and use my deal as a bench mark\target. Like you, I was fully prepared to go elsewhere.
I got my deal via live chat. Good luck
What's the £100 credit?
My plusnet is the worst broadband I've had since dial up, changed from BT which was the best I've had.
lookatmywadd31 m ago

What's the £100 credit?

They literally credited my account, I didn't pay a penny for 4 months.
Any reason why?
jordanleno18th Apr

Op, perhaps try and see what deal you can get from Sky using their online …Op, perhaps try and see what deal you can get from Sky using their online chat for your Sky Fibre: https://advisor.sky.com/chat-window.html?category=SAL_WB_BB&pageId=743929f2-a4c1-4b14-902a-fe04d2c10b3c&sitecatAccounts[0]=bskybdtmskycomprod&sitecatAccounts[1]=bskybmyskyhomeprod&sitecatAccounts[2]=bskybmyskyprod&sitecatAccounts[3]=bskybnetworkglobal&sitecatAccounts[4]=bskybeexperienceglobalIts better than calling, as the online chat somehow has more leeway in offering discounts. I got £18pm line rental and 38MB unlimited fibre for 12 months using chat, after following tips from several posters and deals here back in March. Its not combined with any tv/cinema package. The standard "deal" around is £25 pm for unlimited fibre and line rental, and most posters got offered less than that. Cant comment on other providers though.

I followed your advice. They gave me £28.99 for Unlimited Fibre + line rental.
I tried negotiating with the Sky rep on the chat but all they offered me was £28.99 for Fibre Unlimited including line rental. Not bad but nothing like the deals people have talked about on here.
jordanleno18th Apr

Op, perhaps try and see what deal you can get from Sky using their online …Op, perhaps try and see what deal you can get from Sky using their online chat for your Sky Fibre: https://advisor.sky.com/chat-window.html?category=SAL_WB_BB&pageId=743929f2-a4c1-4b14-902a-fe04d2c10b3c&sitecatAccounts[0]=bskybdtmskycomprod&sitecatAccounts[1]=bskybmyskyhomeprod&sitecatAccounts[2]=bskybmyskyprod&sitecatAccounts[3]=bskybnetworkglobal&sitecatAccounts[4]=bskybeexperienceglobalIts better than calling, as the online chat somehow has more leeway in offering discounts. I got £18pm line rental and 38MB unlimited fibre for 12 months using chat, after following tips from several posters and deals here back in March. Its not combined with any tv/cinema package. The standard "deal" around is £25 pm for unlimited fibre and line rental, and most posters got offered less than that. Cant comment on other providers though.

Thanks for your link, got straight through and got the same deal as you cheers!
jordanleno18th Apr

thanks for the advice, they told me they only deal with existing broadband customers and cant help me. think I'm still look for a good deal.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants