Sky Go - free in the e.u from April 1st (existing customers)

LocalFound 1st Apr
Community Updates
30 Comments
This is the truth. Sky Go will be available in all E.U member states from today.
Same goes with virgin tv go
Ts18994 m ago

Same goes with virgin tv go

It is an EU thing, just like the mobile roaming so will (should) apply to all of your subscription streaming services.

Internet streaming services must now be available wherever you go and not geoblocked.
Edited by: "plebbygiraffe" 1st Apr
skybuller7 m ago

This is the truth. Sky Go will be available in all E.U member states from …This is the truth. Sky Go will be available in all E.U member states from today.

Only until next year.
What is EU does it involve Bangladesh, Bermuda, Guinea, India, Pakistan, South Africa and other African, Asian country’s as well
I’ve had the EU champions telling me this. In short. You’re wrong. Rights around sports means that the EU ruling wouldn’t have applied fully to Sky Go. Notice the actual outline said now tv and NOT sky go for a reason. Also why haven’t BT sport announced it?
19DembaBa195 m ago

What is EU does it involve Bangladesh, Bermuda, Guinea, India, Pakistan, …What is EU does it involve Bangladesh, Bermuda, Guinea, India, Pakistan, South Africa and other African, Asian country’s as well

Is that a genuine question?
cantonbean5 m ago

I’ve had the EU champions telling me this. In short. You’re wrong. Rights a …I’ve had the EU champions telling me this. In short. You’re wrong. Rights around sports means that the EU ruling wouldn’t have applied fully to Sky Go. Notice the actual outline said now tv and NOT sky go for a reason. Also why haven’t BT sport announced it?

You're wrong mate.

Brother in law works for SKY.

This basically means that if you subscribe to content in the UK, you'll be able to access it fully when in other EU countries.

If you don't subscribe you obviously won't.

Same goes for anything digital you have in the UK. You'll be able to access it in the EU without any restrictions.

May well change when we leave of course, but I expect we're likely to keep almost all current and incoming EU legislation.
CaptainSocks22 m ago

You're wrong mate. Brother in law works for SKY. This basically means that …You're wrong mate. Brother in law works for SKY. This basically means that if you subscribe to content in the UK, you'll be able to access it fully when in other EU countries.If you don't subscribe you obviously won't. Same goes for anything digital you have in the UK. You'll be able to access it in the EU without any restrictions. May well change when we leave of course, but I expect we're likely to keep almost all current and incoming EU legislation.

No. Sport broadcasting rules means it would only have to be the movies etc. So sky would have to offer those devices. Same way we can’t have legally have 3pm kickoffs here even if you paid for those services included from abroad such as Greek satellites. You can access them but not legal. There are special exceptions! It’s good of sky to allow full service when they haven’t. Again. If YOU were right then BT Sport would be doing the same. They may do to the same because Sky have. I read the regulations. Maybe your brother in law (someone always works for sky ) might want to learn more about sports broadcasts!
Edited by: "cantonbean" 1st Apr
TheUrbis37 m ago

Yes
What a day to announce it!
19DembaBa191st Apr

What is EU does it involve Bangladesh, Bermuda, Guinea, India, Pakistan, …What is EU does it involve Bangladesh, Bermuda, Guinea, India, Pakistan, South Africa and other African, Asian country’s as well

Try Google it will tell you what is EU
This link provides more info sky.com/hel…-eu?DCMP=emb-skycom:na_stream_in_the_eu
deleted579591st Apr

I believe this covers Netflix and Amazon Prime Video in fact any digital …I believe this covers Netflix and Amazon Prime Video in fact any digital streaming service. This is good for Three users with Go binge.

You can only use 12GB of data whilst abroad, they then start charging you per mb used.
Good job you didn't submit this as a "Deals" thread:

"Netflix now available to watch throughout Europe (no VPN needed) on top of your package or free trial"
[ hotukdeals.com/dea…810 ]

Brrrr... icy.
19DembaBa1914 h, 43 m ago

TheUrbis14 h, 37 m ago

19DembaBa1914 h, 0 m ago

Yes

So, you are asking if the twenty eight Member States of the European Union suddenly just included countries from Africa & Asia?
fanpages12 m ago

Good job you didn't submit this as a "Deals" thread:"Netflix now available …Good job you didn't submit this as a "Deals" thread:"Netflix now available to watch throughout Europe (no VPN needed) on top of your package or free trial"[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/netflix-now-available-to-watch-throughout-europe-no-vpn-needed-on-top-of-your-package-or-free-trial-2919810 ]Brrrr... icy.

Just below that is the sky go deal 260+

hotukdeals.com/dea…802
Edited by: "eslick" 2nd Apr
eslick27 m ago

Just below that is the sky go deal …Just below that is the sky go deal 260+https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sky-tv-now-available-in-most-of-europe-concurrently-to-your-package-in-the-uk-2919802#comment-33561690

We'll expect the threads for the other digital TV/video-on-demand services to follow then.
I’m currently in Spain

Watched the spurs vs Chelsea game yesterday on skygo app without any issues

Plus I also watched the BT sport app too without any issue

Brill
fanpages3 h, 46 m ago

Good job you didn't submit this as a "Deals" thread:"Netflix now available …Good job you didn't submit this as a "Deals" thread:"Netflix now available to watch throughout Europe (no VPN needed) on top of your package or free trial"[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/netflix-now-available-to-watch-throughout-europe-no-vpn-needed-on-top-of-your-package-or-free-trial-2919810 ]Brrrr... icy.

eslick3 h, 34 m ago

Just below that is the sky go deal …Just below that is the sky go deal 260+https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sky-tv-now-available-in-most-of-europe-concurrently-to-your-package-in-the-uk-2919802#comment-33561690

This was originally posted to Deals, so, heh.
cantonbean18 h, 2 m ago

No. Sport broadcasting rules means it would only have to be the movies …No. Sport broadcasting rules means it would only have to be the movies etc. So sky would have to offer those devices. Same way we can’t have legally have 3pm kickoffs here even if you paid for those services included from abroad such as Greek satellites. You can access them but not legal. There are special exceptions! It’s good of sky to allow full service when they haven’t. Again. If YOU were right then BT Sport would be doing the same. They may do to the same because Sky have. I read the regulations. Maybe your brother in law (someone always works for sky ) might want to learn more about sports broadcasts!

You can 100% view Sky Sports and Sky Movies whilst in the EU.

This is about viewing your home subscriptions whilst temporarily in another location - ie. on holiday. It is not about viewing them on a permanent basis.

BT won't do the same "because Sky have", they will do the same because it is the law.
plebbygiraffe50 m ago

You can 100% view Sky Sports and Sky Movies whilst in the EU.This is about …You can 100% view Sky Sports and Sky Movies whilst in the EU.This is about viewing your home subscriptions whilst temporarily in another location - ie. on holiday. It is not about viewing them on a permanent basis.BT won't do the same "because Sky have", they will do the same because it is the law.

Yes you can but sports have been included by choice NOT by this law. Good on Sky and BT. They could have not allowed that as sports do have individual regulations they can use to exempt EU law.
cantonbean12 m ago

Yes you can but sports have been included by choice NOT by this law. Good …Yes you can but sports have been included by choice NOT by this law. Good on Sky and BT. They could have not allowed that as sports do have individual regulations they can use to exempt EU law.

I think you're confusing two parts of this group of regulations.

This regulation is part of a wide set of regulations. The group of regulations is setting out to create a single market for non-physical items. Mobile roaming for example is part of this group, and we saw that introduced last year.

This particular regulation is about being able to access any content from your country of residence without hindrance. So every single streaming provider, regardless of what they're broadcasting, must allow you to view your purchased (subscription or otherwise) content in any EU country.

The whole 3PM black out has no effect on this. Sky don't broadcast 3PM games, so you going on holiday and opening Sky Go doesn't mean you can suddenly watch 3PM games.

What you're confusing yourself with is the ability to purchase something from another country when you are not a resident of said country.

This is another part of the group of regulations.

The idea is that you should, without hindrance, be able to purchase anything (physical or digital) from any EU country, regardless of your resident location.

And, as you are trying to point out, geographical restricted rights content such as sports, moves etc have had concessions made for this regulation. But this regulation is completely separate from what has just come into force.

TL;DR - this is about viewing the content of your country of residence in a country you don't reside in, not viewing content from a country you don't reside in, whilst in the country you do reside in.
plebbygiraffe2 m ago

I think you're confusing two parts of this group of regulations.This …I think you're confusing two parts of this group of regulations.This regulation is part of a wide set of regulations. The group of regulations is setting out to create a single market for non-physical items. Mobile roaming for example is part of this group, and we saw that introduced last year.This particular regulation is about being able to access any content from your country of residence without hindrance. So every single streaming provider, regardless of what they're broadcasting, must allow you to view your purchased (subscription or otherwise) content in any EU country.The whole 3PM black out has no effect on this. Sky don't broadcast 3PM games, so you going on holiday and opening Sky Go doesn't mean you can suddenly watch 3PM games.What you're confusing yourself with is the ability to purchase something from another country when you are not a resident of said country.This is another part of the group of regulations.The idea is that you should, without hindrance, be able to purchase anything (physical or digital) from any EU country, regardless of your resident location.And, as you are trying to point out, geographical restricted rights content such as sports, moves etc have had concessions made for this regulation. But this regulation is completely separate from what has just come into force.TL;DR - this is about viewing the content of your country of residence in a country you don't reside in, not viewing content from a country you don't reside in, whilst in the country you do reside in.

Yeah I understand all of that. I read the act. What I’m saying is (using the 3pm as an example) is there are reasons they could get round this regarding sports but that they haven’t is good.
cantonbean15 m ago

Yeah I understand all of that. I read the act. What I’m saying is (using t …Yeah I understand all of that. I read the act. What I’m saying is (using the 3pm as an example) is there are reasons they could get round this regarding sports but that they haven’t is good.

Then you clearly haven't read it, or my post, properly.

That is a separate part.

This particular regulation is about accessing content you've already purchased (or have access to via subscription) in your home country, whilst temporarily in another.

What you're on about is another regulation - geo-blocking purchasing. The idea what me sitting here in my home in the UK should be able to buy anything from say, Austria. That passed in February and excludes copyrighted materials, finance products and others. So yes, you can't go and purchase a Nova Sports package.
plebbygiraffe5 h, 41 m ago

You can 100% view Sky Sports and Sky Movies whilst in the EU.This is about …You can 100% view Sky Sports and Sky Movies whilst in the EU.This is about viewing your home subscriptions whilst temporarily in another location - ie. on holiday. It is not about viewing them on a permanent basis.BT won't do the same "because Sky have", they will do the same because it is the law.

That very much depends on who your provider is. Mines virgin and although I subscribe to sky sports I can't watch the sky sports app outside of the UK and I can't log on to sky go as I'm not a sky subscriber... even though I am...
Flodd9 m ago

That very much depends on who your provider is. Mines virgin and although …That very much depends on who your provider is. Mines virgin and although I subscribe to sky sports I can't watch the sky sports app outside of the UK and I can't log on to sky go as I'm not a sky subscriber... even though I am...

This only started yesterday. So unless you are on holiday right now you're talking about past experience.

You can watch with Virgin Media. Sky even has an FAQ question about it, confirming such.
plebbygiraffe44 m ago

This only started yesterday. So unless you are on holiday right now you're …This only started yesterday. So unless you are on holiday right now you're talking about past experience.You can watch with Virgin Media. Sky even has an FAQ question about it, confirming such.

im actually sat typing this on a balcony in Spain... you might why im sat on the balcony and not on the razz and thats cause the little one is poorly...

So... bizarrely i got it to work on the ipad but it wont have it on my s2... it doesnt seem to like the 3g/4g settings...
Flodd1 h, 40 m ago

im actually sat typing this on a balcony in Spain... you might why im sat …im actually sat typing this on a balcony in Spain... you might why im sat on the balcony and not on the razz and thats cause the little one is poorly... So... bizarrely i got it to work on the ipad but it wont have it on my s2... it doesnt seem to like the 3g/4g settings...

Get well soon little Flodd, but not too quickly that your parents miss out on their new TV viewing experience
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions