Groups

SKY HD ADVICE - will having sky HD improve the quality of non HD channels

I appreciate the HD channels on sky HD are good

but is there any improvment in the non HD channels as they are now through a HD cable and not a standard scart?

just wondering as looking at getting sky HD but there isnt many channels

will HD be free soon, similier to the way sky plus went after a few years

5 Comments

I would think that the difference would be negligible unless your SCART cable is really naff.

Banned

No not really, and some SD channels looks worse on a LCD HD TV because the errors and artifacts are clearer - especially on ITV during football.

vibeone;5331256

No not really, and some SD channels looks worse on a LCD HD TV because … No not really, and some SD channels looks worse on a LCD HD TV because the errors and artifacts are clearer - especially on ITV during football.

+1 I hate football on ITV, thank god its on sky sports HD tonight.

you'd be supprised how many HD channels there are now.

You can get ITV HD from SKY HD now (assuming you have the new guide).
    Tonights football is on SKY SPORTS and ITV HD.

Can't recommend getting the HD enough, once you get it you will wonder how you survived without it!
    24, Lost, Prison Break, Heroes, sport, nature programs, movies.... all look amazing!

Some standard definition (SD) channels actually look noticeably worse if you upscale them to HD using your sky HD box. Also bear in mind that a lot of LCD and Plasma TVs do not perform that well when handling SD even though they handle HD very well and you will notice that they have worse picture quality with SD than a normal CRT TV...the only exceptions to this are the Pioneer Kuro series and some more up-market models of Panasonic and Samsung.

I would recommend not upscaling anything using your sky hd box and just viewing it as it is, that is to say setting up the sky box so that it does not upscale non-hd channels (which it does by default) and view them in their normal definition (576p) as this ensures optimum picture quality with both hd and sd signals.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.513
      2. One for the mathmeticians2539
      3. Cat Chat77744
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047177

See more discussions