Sky HD Channels - standard

Posted 3rd Nov
Hello so I tried to reduce my Sky bill and unfortunately because I am still on contract the only thing that I could save was on the HD package being removed. Sky haven't been very helpful in telling me what standard HD channels that I will get. Anyone know which one's I'll be left with?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Sky sports HD you no longer will have.

And maybe the cinema HD/UHD.

All rest may stay the same.
You'll generally be left with these:
BBC 1 / 2 / 4 / News / CBBC / CBeebies
ITV 1 / Channel 4 / Channel 5

If you log in to your account you can check which packages and channels are still available: sky.com/mya…/tv

It's slim pickings, due to the way their packages are structured it reaches a point where it's worse than Freeview.
I need to try and negotiate a better deal myself, providing terrible value for money at the moment.
Edited by: "MBeeching" 3rd Nov
Munch198103/11/2019 07:39

Sky sports HD you no longer will have.And maybe the cinema HD/UHD.All rest …Sky sports HD you no longer will have.And maybe the cinema HD/UHD.All rest may stay the same.

I thought that Sky Sports HD was compulsory?
Just to add to the list "Quest"
I also think an issue is that your channel line up may remain the same but without access.

i.e. BBC 1HD remains 101 but you get the blue screen, you actually need to watch it on 800 and something where they've hidden it away for now.

Definitely not renewing in December 2020 when my package runs out. I'm only paying £14 a month (£11 entertainment and £1 a piece for Kids, HD and Boxsets on an old box) but don't ever watch 'Sky' itself.

I picked up a FreeSat with recorder from CeX so will be using that with a Firestick.

The fact that Sky have now bundled Netflix in to their packages shows how little they understand their problems. It's about two years too late for them.
360finder03/11/2019 08:24

I also think an issue is that your channel line up may remain the same but …I also think an issue is that your channel line up may remain the same but without access. i.e. BBC 1HD remains 101 but you get the blue screen, you actually need to watch it on 800 and something where they've hidden it away for now.Definitely not renewing in December 2020 when my package runs out. I'm only paying £14 a month (£11 entertainment and £1 a piece for Kids, HD and Boxsets on an old box) but don't ever watch 'Sky' itself.I picked up a FreeSat with recorder from CeX so will be using that with a Firestick.The fact that Sky have now bundled Netflix in to their packages shows how little they understand their problems. It's about two years too late for them.

Not true for our subscription-free Sky box channel lineup. 101 is our local area BBC1.
Sub-free HD news channels also
Edited by: "jco83" 3rd Nov
jco8303/11/2019 08:30

Sub-free HD news channels also

I bet they don’t include Sky News as HD without paying, it’s not on Freesat for example
360finder03/11/2019 08:24

I also think an issue is that your channel line up may remain the same but …I also think an issue is that your channel line up may remain the same but without access. i.e. BBC 1HD remains 101 but you get the blue screen, you actually need to watch it on 800 and something where they've hidden it away for now.Definitely not renewing in December 2020 when my package runs out. I'm only paying £14 a month (£11 entertainment and £1 a piece for Kids, HD and Boxsets on an old box) but don't ever watch 'Sky' itself.I picked up a FreeSat with recorder from CeX so will be using that with a Firestick.The fact that Sky have now bundled Netflix in to their packages shows how little they understand their problems. It's about two years too late for them.

I would agree with you, I would be interested in what their churn rates are, I am sure that they are at an all time high. I think that they have underestimated how large streaming is these days. Indeed it’s very rare that I will watch Sky programmes and if desperate then use a Now Tv subscription and then cancel. I got Sky Cinema as well, which I regret, it’s no where near as good as they make it out to be. I’ll be going back to FreeSat next year when my contract runs out in June. Also they are only doing 18 month contracts so trying to tie people in for longer.
Craig201803/11/2019 08:42

I bet they don’t include Sky News as HD without paying, it’s not on Fre …I bet they don’t include Sky News as HD without paying, it’s not on Freesat for example

Sky News [SD] isn't subscription free so no. Although they do live stream it on YouTube Anyhoo there are plenty of different and quality news channels. Sometimes I like to watch the Japanese news channel, not just news but programmes about different aspects of the culture too
ding03/11/2019 08:20

Just to add to the list "Quest"

Forgot about Quest, FreeSports HD is another. Sky's channel order is terrible so I'd recommend using the Favourites function to try and sort the wheat from the chaff.
Does anyone else find it ridiculous that these HD channels require a sub?: Dave / W / More 4 / E4 / Film 4 / ITV 2-4.
Craig201803/11/2019 08:47

I would agree with you, I would be interested in what their churn rates …I would agree with you, I would be interested in what their churn rates are, I am sure that they are at an all time high. I think that they have underestimated how large streaming is these days. Indeed it’s very rare that I will watch Sky programmes and if desperate then use a Now Tv subscription and then cancel. I got Sky Cinema as well, which I regret, it’s no where near as good as they make it out to be. I’ll be going back to FreeSat next year when my contract runs out in June. Also they are only doing 18 month contracts so trying to tie people in for longer.

I think their real issue lies in their reliability on a dish.

If you try to take out a new Q deal you can be waiting upto 4 weeks (or more at this time of year) for an install date - that they make you pay for!

I can buy a Firestick from Amazon today have it delivered tomorrow and working in 5 minutes.

Same for NowTV stick (which I use without a sub as my multiroom device)

They really need to develop a SkyX like they have in other countries taking the need for the dish away.

They're going to get left behind, tech is moving faster than ever and they don't appear to be trying to keep up anymore. Just rebranding and rehashing the same format hoping to keep or obtain custom but feel it's failing them.
MBeeching03/11/2019 08:55

Forgot about Quest, FreeSports HD is another. Sky's channel order is …Forgot about Quest, FreeSports HD is another. Sky's channel order is terrible so I'd recommend using the Favourites function to try and sort the wheat from the chaff.Does anyone else find it ridiculous that these HD channels require a sub?: Dave / W / More 4 / E4 / Film 4 / ITV 2-4.

Yeah it's crazy but are they HD on standard Freesat? Is it Sky that demand the sub or the channel?

I find it worse that they charge customers a premium for their Boxsets then fill them with adverts!! And those adverts are targeted if you haven't changed your settings so they're making plenty of money off you.
360finder03/11/2019 08:59

I think their real issue lies in their reliability on a dish.If you try to …I think their real issue lies in their reliability on a dish.If you try to take out a new Q deal you can be waiting upto 4 weeks (or more at this time of year) for an install date - that they make you pay for!I can buy a Firestick from Amazon today have it delivered tomorrow and working in 5 minutes.Same for NowTV stick (which I use without a sub as my multiroom device) They really need to develop a SkyX like they have in other countries taking the need for the dish away.They're going to get left behind, tech is moving faster than ever and they don't appear to be trying to keep up anymore. Just rebranding and rehashing the same format hoping to keep or obtain custom but feel it's failing them.

I had to wait over three months for a Sky Q engineer to arrive, pay an installation fee and take an hour or two off work. Nice chap but a complete waste of time and money for all involved, all he had to do was plug it in and demonstrate how to use it. Sky insisted this was all necessary and refused to send the box directly.

Also forced to take that stupid multi-room box which I didn't want, then post it back unused 12 months later.
MBeeching03/11/2019 10:14

I had to wait over three months for a Sky Q engineer to arrive, pay an …I had to wait over three months for a Sky Q engineer to arrive, pay an installation fee and take an hour or two off work. Nice chap but a complete waste of time and money for all involved, all he had to do was plug it in and demonstrate how to use it. Sky insisted this was all necessary and refused to send the box directly.Also forced to take that stupid multi-room box which I didn't want, then post it back unused 12 months later.

Yeah I don't understand the you must have this box to get the 4K element.

But I don't want the box...
No sir/madam it is necessary.

Ultimately we the consumer pay the cost of this stupidity on their part. Why not just charge a 4K sub for £8 and then offer with multiroom for a little more?
Spoke to one matey when looking to haggle/cancel and said the reason Sky charge for HD is cos of old folk who don’t like change barmy!
What you need to do is find out when your contract is up, then threaten to leave. Then you can negotiate a better deal. I only pay extra £1 pm for the HD channels.
MBeeching03/11/2019 10:14

I had to wait over three months for a Sky Q engineer to arrive, pay an …I had to wait over three months for a Sky Q engineer to arrive, pay an installation fee and take an hour or two off work. Nice chap but a complete waste of time and money for all involved, all he had to do was plug it in and demonstrate how to use it. Sky insisted this was all necessary and refused to send the box directly.Also forced to take that stupid multi-room box which I didn't want, then post it back unused 12 months later.

Sky Q require the lnb on the dish to be replaced, unless this has already been carried out?
scottishpunter03/11/2019 17:21

Sky Q require the lnb on the dish to be replaced, unless this has already …Sky Q require the lnb on the dish to be replaced, unless this has already been carried out?

Admittedly wasn't aware of that, although it was a communal dish which the building management assured me was Sky Q capable.
Just looks on your planner
The mere fact that it's almost 2020 and you STILL have to pay extra for HD is baffling.

Although, the missus 'can't tell the difference'. Probably why she's with me I suppose...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants