Found 29th Apr 2010
Hello all i currently live in a high rise flat and have sky sd via a communal dish i wondered if any off you live in one as well and do you have sky hd?

My reson being the council want me to pay a company to install the second feed as we currently only have one feed and the company then wants on top of this (200 pounds to access the roof then i have to pay for the wire and there call out charge)

Just wanted your thoughts as without the second feed i am aware that i currently canot have sky multiroom or record a different channel.... Outrage

Any advice appreciated as always

1. Misc
  2. Sky
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Sky
13 Comments

You'll have to pay it, no reason for the council to. Why not check around some of your neighbours and see if any of them are wanting to do something similar, and you could split the cost?

do you have to go through the company? We now get sky from a communal dish and just directly went via sky to get hd installed. It's not high rise flats though so might be different either way I'd give sky a call and see what they say.

Original Poster

No reason for the council too... But they are ignoring key changes to technology lol

Thanks for your replies guys

Original Poster

Oh and ants yeah its different in a 17 storey block

Higgsy657;8485286

Oh and ants yeah its different in a 17 storey block

aah thought it might be. It was just that the company that installed the communal dish in our building kept trying to plug their "special deals" if we ordered anything via them.

Yeah I need to find out what the situation is with something similar for myself as we are purchasing a property and it has a communal dish but only one feed to the wall, which is a pity as its a brand new build as well.

Do you have a balcony?

If you do, then depending on which side of the building you are on you could just stick the dish on the balcony deck and you'd probably be ok! (Pointing in the right direction horizontally and Vertically of course)

You could have as many feeds as you like then :thumbsup:

Celticsun;8485734

Do you have a balcony?If you do, then depending on which side of the … Do you have a balcony?If you do, then depending on which side of the building you are on you could just stick the dish on the balcony deck and you'd probably be ok! (Pointing in the right direction horizontally and Vertically of course)You could have as many feeds as you like then :thumbsup:

I dont think we could get the correct angle from our balcony, I am actually certain we couldnt.
Furthermore, if it was just placed in the deck then it could easily get moved and also is an ugly item to be taking up space. Although I haven't had the property details/conditions yet but I'd imagine no satellite dishes will be allowed (as per most contracts funnily enough, although lots of people do it) and it will be upheld as its a new block (at least for now it will be upheld).

awoodhall2003;8485814

I dont think we could get the correct angle from our balcony, I am … I dont think we could get the correct angle from our balcony, I am actually certain we couldnt.Furthermore, if it was just placed in the deck then it could easily get moved and also is an ugly item to be taking up space. Although I haven't had the property details/conditions yet but I'd imagine no satellite dishes will be allowed (as per most contracts funnily enough, although lots of people do it) and it will be upheld as its a new block (at least for now it will be upheld).

Appreciated, really depends on what you have in terms of the space etc.

I had a friend who bought a guitar stand and just sat the dish on that in the corner of his balcony, few plants round it hardly noticeable. And becuase its sat on the deck and not fixed you aren't breaking any rules as Its not sticking out the side of the building.

Celticsun;8485876

Appreciated, really depends on what you have in terms of the space etc.I … Appreciated, really depends on what you have in terms of the space etc.I had a friend who bought a guitar stand and just sat the dish on that in the corner of his balcony, few plants round it hardly noticeable. And becuase its sat on the deck and not fixed you aren't breaking any rules as Its not sticking out the side of the building.

Ah the balcony is big enough, it is roughly 6m x 1.5m, either way we couldnt get the angle needed for it anyway. But suppose yeah hiding it would be fine if we could.

dcx_badass;8486013

They point close to horizontal.

The horizontal angle, as in:
Astra 2 satellite is 28 degrees east of South

:thumbsup:

dcx_badass;8487148

28° is not much of an angle at all!

28° East of South is impossible if your balcony faces (near enough) North...

awoodhall2003;8487162

28° East of South is impossible if your balcony faces (near enough) … 28° East of South is impossible if your balcony faces (near enough) North...

lol..'tis a valid point
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Misco about to go into administration913
    2. EA shuts down Visceral Games.56
    3. word association Game74244871
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322826

See more discussions