Groups

Sky HD+ questions, any experts out there please!

Hi all, just bought the big HD TV and would like a way of watching some HD TV.

I was going to go for Freesat until I realised how limited their broadcasts are.

I was in Asda today ( same one that was mentioned in a deal- then expired for inaccuracy) and the salesman gave me a good speil.

£29 for Sky HD+ box installed in one room and a normal sky box in another room.

Plus then the basic package at £17 ish and HD at £10 a month.

My questions are these....

I have to keep the package for 12 months - what happens after that?

Do I own the boxes?

Therefore can I sell them if freesat takes off and improves?

Can I cancel my sky subsription and watch the free to air HD stuff? BBC etc

Will I still get any satelite channels if I cancel?

Finally do people think this is a decent new Sky viewer package or are there better deals about than £29 installed.

Cheers

8 Comments

Banned

I have to keep the package for 12 months - what happens after that?

You can cancel or you can continue. Your choice.

Do I own the boxes?

Yes.

Therefore can I sell them if freesat takes off and improves?

Yes, but if you sold within 12 months, you'd still have to pay the sub you agreed.

Can I cancel my sky subsription and watch the free to air HD stuff? BBC … Can I cancel my sky subsription and watch the free to air HD stuff? BBC etc

Yes. BBC HD

Will I still get any satelite channels if I cancel?

Yes

Finally do people think this is a decent new Sky viewer package or are … Finally do people think this is a decent new Sky viewer package or are there better deals about than £29 installed.

Personally, I'd say getting a proper multi-satellite system is a better option. However only you can decide if you think the package you mention is good value or not.

I concur with guv

Original Poster

Mnay thanks guv, new to this business, never even heard of a multi-satellite system - any pointers very welcome.

Rep added.

As far as I am aware after 12 months you can cancel your sky subscription and keep the box and will recieve free to air channels like bbc1 itv etc.
    these would not be HD channels then so you wouldnt get the benefit of HD and anything you had recorded on your HD+box would be lost.
    if you close the account before the 12 months you would be liable to pay the remaining payments, but if in doublt phone sky or look at the small print on your agreement.

Banned

neilc;4305184

Mnay thanks guv, new to this business, never even heard of a … Mnay thanks guv, new to this business, never even heard of a multi-satellite system - any pointers very welcome.

To purchase - online (and offline) retaillers like Spectrum, Wizard Satellite are usually a good starting point.

Best place to learn is within satellite forums like "JFK"

There are varying levels on what you can do. ie a single satellite to track the arc and pick up all satellites (more channels) or a fixed dish with several LNBs placed to pick up more than one satellite.

For channels, FTA is pretty basic. You would really be advised to use one of 3 options. 1. A system that can be flashed. 2. Using a cam (conditional access module), though i'd not recommend this (though Dog Cop can give you more detail them me as he uses one) or 3. Using a rather naughty route that enables access to pretty much all channels. Needless to say, if you used this route to access sky TV, Setanta or any other package available in the UK , it would be illegal. Just google Cardsharing! Thats as much as I will say on the subject!

Banned

nunny53;4305271

As far as I am aware after 12 months you can cancel your sky subscription … As far as I am aware after 12 months you can cancel your sky subscription and keep the box and will recieve free to air channels like bbc1 itv etc. these would not be HD channels then so you wouldnt get the benefit of HD and anything you had recorded on your HD+box would be lost. if you close the account before the 12 months you would be liable to pay the remaining payments, but if in doublt phone sky or look at the small print on your agreement.

Yeh good point. After 12 months if you dont suscribe, you lose access to your PVR. ie any recordings made, or the ability to record anything more. You can pay £10 to get that back, but tbh is a con.

You will however still receive BBC HD. (Definately none of the sky HD channels or ITV HD and I dont think CH4 HD will be available either.)

Original Poster

thanks jaybird, nunny and guv.

Good advice, I will dig a bit deeper intot he murky world of satellite before parting with my cash.

Thanks again.

Am tempted by the sky hd option myself, can any existing owners recommend the best combo of channels - am a big movie lover and the idea of HD movies is very tempting.

Also my current set up is freeview (no pvr) and I have a standard BT line with Beunlimited broadband so currently I pay £11ish plus 17.50 per month for the broadband.

Is sky line rental the same as BT? And am I right that sky broadband is free if landline is taken.

How much is all of this gonna add up to per month?

Cheers,

J
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sold item on eBay from UK - buyer from USA810
      2. What do I do if item is damaged I bought on eBay.69
      3. Finally got a Xbox one s33
      4. Rain effect window. The one from FRIENDS! Please help!910

See more discussions