Sky ignore all government advice!

Posted 24th Mar
Michael Gove specifically used Sky technicians/engineers as an example of a non crucial service that should not be being called to homes during self isolation.
These engineers are sent to homes that may already contain people carrying the virus as there is no way to tell in advance and sadly, not all customers are honest when faced with the loss of services.
Not only will the engineers be risking contraction, but they also risk carrying the Covid19 virus into EVERY subsequent home they enter, of which there will be several each day.
These homes often contain high risk, vulnerable people such as the elderly, children and those with underlying health issues.

Despite Mr Gove specifically highlighting Sky Engineers in particular and regardless of engineers voicing their concerns for themselves, their own families and the customers, Sky have insisted their engineers continue to work and visit customers. Not only to fix faults and loss of service, but to also upgrade existing customers and install Sky for new customers who are now ordering Sky in the face of being quarantined at home.
Profit is their priority, not the health and safety of their employees, customers or the nation.
Although some engineers received protective wear, most have not as stock is low. They are short of gloves, masks and hand sanitiser and cannot protect themselves.

These engineers DO NOT deal with broadband or telephone issues that may be crucial lifelines for some, they merely deal with TV/set top services.

Sky are using the broad list of ‘key workers’ that was issued last week by the Government, under the umbrella of ‘telecommunications’ as justification for not sending their engineers home to self isolate.
Engineers have never been considered as ‘key workers’ before and are not recognised as such by local councils which are responsible for permitting children of key workers to continue schooling.

Please understand, having Sky television at the risk of anyone, including your own family is not a necessity.

Last year, Sky’s turnover reached £17.7b & Comcast (Sky’s owners) hit £109b. They can afford to do better for everyone during this difficult and scary time.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

40 Comments
Admin, pls delete if not allowed.
monkey_whiskers24/03/2020 22:08

Admin, pls delete if not allowed.

Totally agree, with your post no need for it too he deleted, it's going too save lives if sky accept this reasonable view.
This area is ever so confusing, what is essential and not essential.

The whole purpose of this movement restriction is to curtail transmission of coronavirus with outcomes in exponential growths in infections, severe cases, critical cases and death.

So down tool and stay at home!
Tough one as for some people, albeit very few, TV will be there only source of news/information which is crucial at this moment in time.

These people will likely to be the old and vulnerable so I think they should still be allowed to operate for maintenance only but certainly should be stop from going round doing new installs.
sky tv is definitely not essential
It might be defendable if engineers were merely fixing faulty services for existing customers, but Sky are still taking on new customers and sending engineers out for full installs daily. This is inexcusable.
Edited by: "monkey_whiskers" 24th Mar
splender24/03/2020 22:23

This area is ever so confusing, what is essential and not essential.The …This area is ever so confusing, what is essential and not essential.The whole purpose of this movement restriction is to curtail transmission of coronavirus with outcomes in exponential growths in infections, severe cases, critical cases and death.So down tool and stay at home!

There are around 3000/3500 engineers visiting an average of 6 homes each day but can be as many as 9. Every house potentially has multiple occupants. The level of exposure is huge.

Michael Gove’s comments
They will have measures in place to protect their staff. They probably allow self install only at the moment for new customers and anyone in isolation probably won't get a visit. Bt and others are operating the same.
Edited by: "MR1123" 24th Mar
MR112324/03/2020 22:44

They will have measures in place to protect their staff. They probably …They will have measures in place to protect their staff. They probably allow self install only at the moment for new customers and anyone in isolation probably won't get a visit. Bt and others are operating the same.

I’m writing this with full, up to date knowledge. This is not speculation. Strip thermometers were sent out, gloves were given to some engineers (before they ran out). Masks and hand sanitiser was promised but didn’t materialise due to shortages.
Self installation? How many times have you fitted a new dish and run cables into a home yourself?
The Heath Secretary announced tonight that if you can’t work from home you can go to work. Lockdown doesn’t mean what Boris said and most thought it meant. Companies have a responsibility to their staff and customers though so you will be able to get Sky installed, a plumber out etc at least until they do a proper lockdown.

bbc.co.uk/new…417
Edited by: "eslick" 24th Mar
eslick24/03/2020 22:48

The Heath Secretary announced tonight that if you can’t work from home you …The Heath Secretary announced tonight that if you can’t work from home you can go to work. Lockdown doesn’t mean what Boris said and most thought it meant. Companies have a responsibility to their staff and customers though so you will be able to get Sky installed, a plumber out etc at least until they do a proper lockdown.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52022417

But why take on new customers and send employees out to install? Even if you continue to serve existing customers and ignore the direct advice from Gove, there is no reason to amplify exposure and that is not ‘absolutely necessary’!

These are homes, not controlled, sanitised places of work.
Michael Gove essential says television is not crucial during a television interview. Does he realize how dumb that sounds, wouldn't expect anything different from him though.
monkey_whiskers24/03/2020 22:51

But why take on new customers and send employees out to install? Even if …But why take on new customers and send employees out to install? Even if you continue to serve existing customers and ignore the direct advice from Gove, there is no reason to amplify exposure and that is not ‘absolutely necessary’!These are homes, not controlled, sanitised places of work.

Because they can, Gove got himself in a muddle this morning, across two channels from what I read, but that’s the game the companies are playing, lockdown means nothing at the moment. Don’t know anyone except a few on here but then that thought Boris’s announcement meant anything other than a full lock down of anything truly non essential.

Fully agree with you, suspect you get called to some right places even when there isn’t a crisis never mind now
666FU24/03/2020 22:56

Michael Gove essential says television is not crucial during a television …Michael Gove essential says television is not crucial during a television interview. Does he realize how dumb that sounds, wouldn't expect anything different from him though.

He ultimately said calling a sky engineer into your home to fix a box is not a crucial emergency and you shouldn’t breach isolation guidelines. Installing new customers is blatant disregard for guidelines and national safety.
monkey_whiskers24/03/2020 22:46

I’m writing this with full, up to date knowledge. This is not speculation. …I’m writing this with full, up to date knowledge. This is not speculation. Strip thermometers were sent out, gloves were given to some engineers (before they ran out). Masks and hand sanitiser was promised but didn’t materialise due to shortages. Self installation? How many times have you fitted a new dish and run cables into a home yourself?

Haven't looked into it because there's so many people that assume things and all the company's are being advised with strict rules which is what they don't get. Some people go nuts over finding out gyms are still open, but it's not open to the public anyway if they are actually not sticking to the rules that's different and I'd agree with you. However I'm to tired and going bed will have a look tomorrow hopefully. Good night.

Michael Gove essential says television is not crucial during a television …Michael Gove essential says television is not crucial during a television interview. Does he realize how dumb that sounds, wouldn't expect anything different from him though.

He is correct. I can have TV off totally and listen to the radio for months. A TV was never an essential for state benefits. At one time, there were lots of haters of people on benefits who had TVs because TV was and is pure entertainment except for a tiny amount of content which is on the radio (BBC/LBC and local radio).
Edited by: "splender" 24th Mar
The sky attitude is deplorable but not surprising. Any loophole to keep making money. I wonder if they still insist engineers work in the USA which is more litigious, with much greater financial penalties?
Towelie24/03/2020 22:30

Tough one as for some people, albeit very few, TV will be there only …Tough one as for some people, albeit very few, TV will be there only source of news/information which is crucial at this moment in time.These people will likely to be the old and vulnerable so I think they should still be allowed to operate for maintenance only but certainly should be stop from going round doing new installs.

As ever, the issue is not providing information. It is about providing RELIABLE, WELL SOURCED, ACCURATE information. Sky does not value any of those measures as witness listening to Kay Burley for 60 seconds. Sky and Kay in particular value self promotion above all else and dhappily delude the viewer if it means an event or narrative can be turned into a scoop/exclusive.
The longer people ignore government advice, the longer it will go on and then harsher measures will come in. And the longer the lockdown goes on, the deeper the recession.

news.sky.com/sto…065

Sad, i get the irony of it, but it’s not essential. Look how many don’t work and use food banks but have sky..
monkey_whiskers24/03/2020 22:46

Self installation? How many times have you fitted a new dish and run …Self installation? How many times have you fitted a new dish and run cables into a home yourself?

Twice for me personally
Erudite25/03/2020 14:05

Comment deleted

Not as a new sky customer you haven’t. Sky don’t send out dishes, cable and equipment for you to self install.
AgentDaleCooper25/03/2020 08:21

The longer people ignore government advice, the longer it will go on and …The longer people ignore government advice, the longer it will go on and then harsher measures will come in. And the longer the lockdown goes on, the deeper the recession.https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-biggest-recession-in-modern-history-increasingly-likely-11963065

There will be harsher measures, the best managed deaths is 20,000 as modelled. The harsher measures are staged per milestone of death count.
666FU:
Michael Gove essential says television is not crucial during a television interview. Does he realize how dumb that sounds, wouldn't expect anything different from him though.

You dont need sky too watch the TV, don't even need a TV these days, so he is right sky shouldn't be doing home visits, then again I just seen bet 365 car park has lots of cars like we really need betting firms open stupid and greedy companies out there.
MynameisM25/03/2020 20:39

666FU:Michael Gove essential says television is not crucial during a …666FU:Michael Gove essential says television is not crucial during a television interview. Does he realize how dumb that sounds, wouldn't expect anything different from him though.You dont need sky too watch the TV, don't even need a TV these days, so he is right sky shouldn't be doing home visits, then again I just seen bet 365 car park has lots of cars like we really need betting firms open stupid and greedy companies out there.

Some very narrow minded views here, not everything is black and white.
example, an elderly person living in high rise flat does not have this new fangled broadband etc, possibly doesn't have a radio and is told to stay at home for months, no living family, no access to library etc
There are more of these than you think, still think the TV is non essential or possibly a reason to live?
maddogb26/03/2020 08:50

Some very narrow minded views here, not everything is black and …Some very narrow minded views here, not everything is black and white.example, an elderly person living in high rise flat does not have this new fangled broadband etc, possibly doesn't have a radio and is told to stay at home for months, no living family, no access to library etcThere are more of these than you think, still think the TV is non essential or possibly a reason to live?

Surely most people in that situation would already have TV? Plus, in that specific example, most high rise flats have cables already installed and a communal dish so wouldn't need an engineer.
julieallen26/03/2020 10:22

Surely most people in that situation would already have TV? Plus, in that …Surely most people in that situation would already have TV? Plus, in that specific example, most high rise flats have cables already installed and a communal dish so wouldn't need an engineer.

I was talking generically about what some people see as a luxury may not be so for others and the tunnel vision reflected in some comments.
Obviously some sky repairs can be done without entering the household or breaking the rules, many older high rises do not have communal dishes or some even aerials
replace sky with a TV repair, replace the high rise with a bungalow just outside town, there are many variations.
maddogb26/03/2020 10:45

I was talking generically about what some people see as a luxury may not …I was talking generically about what some people see as a luxury may not be so for others and the tunnel vision reflected in some comments.Obviously some sky repairs can be done without entering the household or breaking the rules, many older high rises do not have communal dishes or some even aerialsreplace sky with a TV repair, replace the high rise with a bungalow just outside town, there are many variations.

I don't disagree, but don't think Sky TV is essential. the OP states there are over 3000 engineers visiting 6 properties a day, thats 18000 installs a day, while some maybe in the situation you describe, I doubt it's more than a small percentage. More to the point, why would anyone want a Sky engineer in their house at the moment. I've just moved and theres loads of things I need doing, but anything I need someone out for can wait. The only thing I relented on was getting my gas cooker installed on Tuesday, but I would class a cooker as essential.
julieallen26/03/2020 10:50

I don't disagree, but don't think Sky TV is essential. the OP states there …I don't disagree, but don't think Sky TV is essential. the OP states there are over 3000 engineers visiting 6 properties a day, thats 18000 installs a day, while some maybe in the situation you describe, I doubt it's more than a small percentage. More to the point, why would anyone want a Sky engineer in their house at the moment. I've just moved and theres loads of things I need doing, but anything I need someone out for can wait. The only thing I relented on was getting my gas cooker installed on Tuesday, but I would class a cooker as essential.

I am no mathematician but those figures seems suspect, 18,000 installs a day in this day and age, maybe in the first 10 years of sky but no way now.
Even 3000 engineers seems hell of a lot, my own company which subcontracts for some very big players has a fraction of that.
maddogb26/03/2020 11:02

I am no mathematician but those figures seems suspect, 18,000 installs a …I am no mathematician but those figures seems suspect, 18,000 installs a day in this day and age, maybe in the first 10 years of sky but no way now.Even 3000 engineers seems hell of a lot, my own company which subcontracts for some very big players has a fraction of that.

They are not suspect. There are between 3-4000 engineers. This includes regular, SE and VIP engineers. They do not only install, they go into homes to perform upgrades (install new equipment), move connections and service. A service could be anything from a dish replacement/realignment to a box switch/reboot or replacing old cable. They have over 13m customers, so no, it really isn’t suspect.
Edited by: "monkey_whiskers" 26th Mar
monkey_whiskers26/03/2020 11:06

They are not suspect. There are between 3-4000 engineers. This includes …They are not suspect. There are between 3-4000 engineers. This includes regular, SE and VIP engineers. They do not only install, they go into homes to perform upgrades (install new equipment), move connections and service. A service could be anything from a dish replacement/realignment to a box switch/reboot or replacing old cable. They have over 13m customers, so no, it really isn’t suspect.

As stated i am not great at maths so please check my figures they could be horribly inaccurate but i am bored so will have a go anyway.
if we take the whole of the mainland uk with a coverage of 94,000 mi² that's an engineer every 30mi² which basically means you can't travel more than 6 miles in any direction without finding one.
That is based on your original figure of 3000 which now appears to have jumped by 25%, sky engineers, we are falling over them no wonder they charge so much
Edited by: "maddogb" 26th Mar
maddogb26/03/2020 11:29

As stated i am not great at maths so please check my figures they could be …As stated i am not great at maths so please check my figures they could be horribly inaccurate but i am bored so will have a go anyway.if we take the whole of the mainland uk with a coverage of 94,000 mi² that's an engineer every 30mi² which basically means you can't travel more than 6 miles in any direction without finding one.That is based on your original figure of 3000 which now appears to have jumped by 25%, sky engineers, we are falling over them no wonder they charge so much

My original figure was 3000/3500 forgetting their recent drives. Last year alone they started a new drive to increase by 500 and since 2017/18 they have worked hard to recruit female engineers.
You seem to be purposefully ignorant to the fact that cities and densely populated towns will require many engineers. SE engineers are always in a team of 2. Sky doesn’t just supply services to homes, but to businesses and new build blocks. The hospitality industry alone could require 100’s of hotel rooms to be hooked up.
Rather than continue inane questioning of numbers, perhaps focus on the point of the OP. Sky are insisting their engineers enter multiple homes daily despite government advice.

google.co.uk/amp…rs/
Edited by: "monkey_whiskers" 26th Mar
monkey_whiskers26/03/2020 11:36

My original figure was 3000/3500 forgetting their recent drives. Last year …My original figure was 3000/3500 forgetting their recent drives. Last year alone they started a new drive to increase by 500 and since 2017/18 they have worked hard to recruit female engineers. You seem to be purposefully ignorant to the fact that cities and densely populated towns will require many engineers. SE engineers are always in a team of 2. Sky doesn’t just supply services to homes, but to businesses and new build blocks. The hospitality industry alone could require 100’s of hotel rooms to be hooked up. Rather than continue inane questioning of numbers, perhaps focus on the point of the OP. Sky are insisting their engineers enter multiple homes daily despite government advice. google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2019/11/04/sky_hires_1000_new_staffers/

As stated am just curious and bored and lets face it if all views go unchallenged then we get in a sorry state with fake news etc

I am not ignoring or forgetting anything, yes towns and cities need more engineers but there are vast swathes of the uk which are unpopulated, Scotland for example carries approx 10% of the population but around 30% of the land mass, are you being purposefully ignorant of those facts?

The other points you raise seem to actually deteriorate from your case, eg 4000 engineers is likely to produce a major wage bill per month, where is that money to come from if they cease doing repairs etc?

I don't consider any of this inane and IMHO that is usually a comment thrown about by people so arrogant the thought of having their statements questioned is somehow inflammatory to them or, they are spreading fake news and wish to distract from that with highly defensive aggression.
Just because it's not essential to the op doesn't mean it's not to others. Our Virgin BB isn't essential to life but i'd be going crazy if i was stuck at home without it.
The government lock down of the country is a massive over reaction, even China didn't do this.
It’s really not difficult to comprehend that your pointless information of land mass in Scotland will obviously have many fewer engineers. What is your point????

If you doubt the number of engineers employed by Sky, I’m not here to prove it to you.

I would expect their wages to be dealt with in the same way as everyone else impacted by this crazy time or for Sky to dip into their massive annual turnover. It’s not as though the majority of their subscribers will stop paying their bills.

Calling me arrogant for trying to get you to focus on my OP rather than fill your time entertaining yourself with trolling arguments is all good. Have fun with your calculator and have a good day!
Feel free to Google any other queries or ask Sky help directly.
some of the comments here are laughable

users believing that people would have sky tv,

but wouldn’t have internet, or a radio, or a telephone, or a friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man
monkey_whiskers26/03/2020 12:36

It’s really not difficult to comprehend that your pointless information of …It’s really not difficult to comprehend that your pointless information of land mass in Scotland will obviously have many fewer engineers. What is your point???? If you doubt the number of engineers employed by Sky, I’m not here to prove it to you. I would expect their wages to be dealt with in the same way as everyone else impacted by this crazy time or for Sky to dip into their massive annual turnover. It’s not as though the majority of their subscribers will stop paying their bills. Calling me arrogant for trying to get you to focus on my OP rather than fill your time entertaining yourself with trolling arguments is all good. Have fun with your calculator and have a good day! Feel free to Google any other queries or ask Sky help directly.

my point is... why do you have such a massive axe to grind against sky and given your obvious lack of understanding about how forums work....who are you to judge?
like it or not sky are a telco and M Gove is an idiot for not realising that and adding to the confusion his obviously inept comrades have already laid down.
Mendoza26/03/2020 15:15

some of the comments here are laughable users believing that people …some of the comments here are laughable users believing that people would have sky tv, but wouldn’t have internet, or a radio, or a telephone, or a friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man

i have actually come across a lot more of these than even i thought existed, rural hilly areas are full of people who got sat tv twenty years ago and have not kept up with technology, the landscape often made it difficult to receive early DVBT and they never got round to changing.
maddogb26/03/2020 20:34

my point is... why do you have such a massive axe to grind against sky and …my point is... why do you have such a massive axe to grind against sky and given your obvious lack of understanding about how forums work....who are you to judge? like it or not sky are a telco and M Gove is an idiot for not realising that and adding to the confusion his obviously inept comrades have already laid down.

Sorry, your point is what? The question of what axe it is I have to grind? Well, several messages in about Scotland land mass and the number of engineers and you still hadn’t asked that question or made that point.
My axe is that 2 of my household are Sky engineers and I value them above someone else’s need to now purchase Sky. There’s only so far a civilised, intelligent conversation can go with someone that has no clarity, no point and is so bored that they choose to argue the irrelevant.
Give yourself a pat on the back for boring me too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants