Sky lead to short... Advice please

20 replies
Found 20th Jun 2009
We have just had Sky fitted in our son's room, however the lead is about 2ft short for where we would like to place the Tv in his room.

Is there an extension that we can buy and what would it be called and where would we get it from?

Thanks in advance, for what i'm sure is a stupid question.

1. Misc
  2. Sky
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Sky
20 Comments

Sky connections are 'F-type', so you'll need compatible cables.

Maplins sell F-type extension cables at 1.5m for £5 each:

maplin.co.uk/Mod…537 (part number QQ78K)

This should do the job. just screw the socket end to the existing plug and then the plug end to the sky box.

If you have two feeds, you'll obviously need two of these!

Original Poster

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, appreciated.

Rep left :thumbsup:

Might be worth asking your question on this thread........ :thumbsup:

hotukdeals.com/ite…-u/

Lots of sky/satellite geeks (guv) will be glad to help you....... ;-)

smithyp1;5542389

Might be worth asking your question on this thread........ … Might be worth asking your question on this thread........ :thumbsup:http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/416368/all-things-satellite-roll-up-roll-u/Lots of sky/satellite geeks (guv) will be glad to help you....... ;-)

And if he says something different to me I would be VERY surprised. :roll:

Banned

smithyp1;5542389

Might be worth asking your question on this thread........ … Might be worth asking your question on this thread........ :thumbsup:http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/416368/all-things-satellite-roll-up-roll-u/Lots of sky/satellite geeks (guv) will be glad to help you....... ;-)

Geek!!!!

Xb0xGuru;5542452

And if he says something different to me I would be VERY surprised. :roll:

I did! :w00t: But the solution is the same.:thumbsup: If it is as you've read it, your reply would be easier to impliment. (ie no messing about with F Connectors!)

To be fair, I wasn't really sure of the question in the post I just answered!

guv;5542604

Geek!!!! I did! :w00t: But the solution is the same.:thumbsup: If it is … Geek!!!! I did! :w00t: But the solution is the same.:thumbsup: If it is as you've read it, your reply would be easier to impliment. (ie no messing about with F Connectors!)To be fair, I wasn't really sure of the question in the post I just answered!

:giggle:

guv;5542604

Geek!!!! I did! :w00t: But the solution is the same.:thumbsup: If it is … Geek!!!! I did! :w00t: But the solution is the same.:thumbsup: If it is as you've read it, your reply would be easier to impliment. (ie no messing about with F Connectors!)To be fair, I wasn't really sure of the question in the post I just answered!

Initially I was going to suggest a coupler and F type cable, but after seeing the one in Maplins only being a fiver, it seemed to be better value and a lot less trouble.

On the subject of faceplates, I've never seen a Sky installation with fitted faceplates :thumbsup:

Banned

Xb0xGuru;5543525

Initially I was going to suggest a coupler and F type cable, but after … Initially I was going to suggest a coupler and F type cable, but after seeing the one in Maplins only being a fiver, it seemed to be better value and a lot less trouble.

Yeh, I agree, as long as the cable is the right length. Thats the thing with a coupler - easy to extend or shorten. But I think you have called correctly.

On the subject of faceplates, I've never seen a Sky installation with … On the subject of faceplates, I've never seen a Sky installation with fitted faceplates :thumbsup:

True... worth asking though.

I'm just about to use a Diplex faceplate on my setup. My Quad LNB has a Terrestrial Input, so I can easily get the signal from satellite or Terrestrial using just one cable into each of the bedrooms and living room.

Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks to everyone that responded.

We went to Maplins and bought what was suggested in the first response.

To clarify what i meant, the sky guy drilled a hole through our wall to put a new box in our son's room. The cable that he ran through it, reaches across the room and stops about 2 feet short of where we would like it to.

When you say it will weaken the signal, do you mean just in his room? We have sky boxes fitted in three rooms, all with there own box and control, will they all be weakend?

Sorry for all the rambles, as i said before i am sure these are stupid questions to anyone with half a brain!!!

It'll only be in the room lisaloo and it shouldn't be enough for you to notice a change in quality

Original Poster

Thanks, its only for our 3 year old to watch Mickey Mouse so im sure he won't notice at all.:thumbsup:

I never had such things when i was younger, and yes i know i only have myself to blame for allowing it. I just need a rest from watching Mickey on repeat and the only way to do that is to get it set up in his room. :oops:

Banned

Robotochan;5544175

It'll only be in the room lisaloo and it shouldn't be enough for you to … It'll only be in the room lisaloo and it shouldn't be enough for you to notice a change in quality

Almost a fully trained sky monkey! ^^^^^^^^^^^:w00t::p

And he's spot on! :thumbsup:

BTW Robo.... have gone CS multiroom now! :whistling:

lisaloo;5544266

Thanks, its only for our 3 year old to watch Mickey Mouse so im sure he … Thanks, its only for our 3 year old to watch Mickey Mouse so im sure he won't notice at all.I never had such things when i was younger, and yes i know i only have myself to blame for allowing it. I just need a rest from watching Mickey on repeat and the only way to do that is to get it set up in his room.

Indeed. I know exactly what you are saying. When I were a lad, mum n dad used to send me down pit...:-D

lisaloo;5544139

Hi,Thanks to everyone that responded.We went to Maplins and bought what … Hi,Thanks to everyone that responded.We went to Maplins and bought what was suggested in the first response.To clarify what i meant, the sky guy drilled a hole through our wall to put a new box in our son's room. The cable that he ran through it, reaches across the room and stops about 2 feet short of where we would like it to. When you say it will weaken the signal, do you mean just in his room? We have sky boxes fitted in three rooms, all with there own box and control, will they all be weakend?Sorry for all the rambles, as i said before i am sure these are stupid questions to anyone with half a brain!!!

It's a digital signal and I very much doubt an extra metre and a half of cable will make any difference at all. You can check signal strength and quality in the digibox setup, but I doubt it's even worth it for this length of cable.

guv;5544313

Almost a fully trained sky monkey! ^^^^^^^^^^^And he's spot on!BTW … Almost a fully trained sky monkey! ^^^^^^^^^^^And he's spot on!BTW Robo.... have gone CS multiroom now!Indeed. I know exactly what you are saying. When I were a lad, mum n dad used to send me down pit...:-D

Almost? I'll have you know I'm trained in a variety of Sky products! Hurry up and find me people to invite so I can get my lovely vouchers :whistling:

Banned

Robotochan;5544483

Almost? I'll have you know I'm trained in a variety of Sky products! Almost? I'll have you know I'm trained in a variety of Sky products! Hurry up and find me people to invite so I can get my lovely vouchers :whistling:

Haha... Forgot all about that!

I rang them in the week to cancel in the hope they'd offer me a good deal. They didn't. Know anything ATM?

Have you had any offers recently? They won't offer you anything if you've had an offer recently, also need to have a good looking finance tab or they'll want to be rid of you

Robotochan;5544483

Almost? I'll have you know I'm trained in a variety of Sky products! Almost? I'll have you know I'm trained in a variety of Sky products! Hurry up and find me people to invite so I can get my lovely vouchers :whistling:

lol, I've got three left myself :-D

Xb0xGuru;5544581

lol, I've got three left myself :-D

I've already invited everyone I know :thinking: I have 3 lined up for the next offer though :thumbsup:

I take it you work at Sky?

Robotochan;5544630

I've already invited everyone I know :thinking: I have 3 lined up for the … I've already invited everyone I know :thinking: I have 3 lined up for the next offer though :thumbsup:I take it you work at Sky?

Yep :thumbsup:

Well if you know of anyone else who wants it now and doesn't want to wait, punt them in my direction

Xb0xGuru;5544760

Yep :thumbsup:Well if you know of anyone else who wants it now and … Yep :thumbsup:Well if you know of anyone else who wants it now and doesn't want to wait, punt them in my direction

Sure buddy :whistling:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Aliexpress - To be trusted?45
    2. BBC4 Vietnam War43
    3. With or without cream?56
    4. Mobile WiFi calling?44

See more discussions