Groups

Sky Link help please!!

I have just purchased a 32 inch Bush LCD digital TV and set it up fine, except I have SKy Link in that room and cannot see how to change the channels from Freeview to Sky. I have plugged the Sky Link into the aerial socket and the red light is on, but can only seem to change the TV source through SCART or side panels and not through aerial. Can anyone help PLEASE!??

11 Comments

I am struggling to cognise what you are saying but a Sky Link is NOT for changing channels on Freeview because the aerial input on a Freeview box is unidirectional. You havn't specified which aerial socket you have also tried connecting the Sky Link to either.

The Sky Link connects to the RF2 connector at the back of your Sky digibox. The RF2 connector needs the 9V voltage switched on via the Sky Services Menu (I recall that it may be a hidden menu by pressing services, 4, 0, 1, select in that order and going into the RF outlets menu). If you also wish to extend the Sky Link to send the Sky feed via RF2 to another TV you may also want to change the frequency output of the RF2 connector to prevent interference.

Original Poster

My apologies, for not being able to explain properly. I have freeview built into the TV, so do not have a seperate digibox to plug into (I did have before I bought this TV, so that worked O.K). I have only one aerial socket at the back of the TV, so have plugged the SKy Link into that. I realise that Sky Link is not for changing Freeview channels, but cannot work out how to get Sky (via the sky link) on the new TV.
    Many Thanks for your reply. I look forward to any other help you or anyone else can give. Rep added

Banned

You need to tune one of your TV channels to the aerial frequency, remember good old VCR days? We have ours set to channel 0 on the TV, hope this helps :thumbsup:

firina;4446642

My apologies, for not being able to explain properly. I have freeview … My apologies, for not being able to explain properly. I have freeview built into the TV, so do not have a seperate digibox to plug into (I did have before I bought this TV, so that worked O.K). I have only one aerial socket at the back of the TV, so have plugged the SKy Link into that. I realise that Sky Link is not for changing Freeview channels, but cannot work out how to get Sky (via the sky link) on the new TV.Many Thanks for your reply. I look forward to any other help you or anyone else can give. Rep added

The Sky Link cannot be used to change Freeview channels. It is used for connection to RF2 at the back of a Sky Digibox where it receives remote control codes from Sky's remote control to control the Sky Digibox. Freeview boxes or TVs do not accept the same code and your TV aerial socket won't accept remote control codes anyway.

The way around your issue is to use a separate remote control receiver and transmitter. Many A/V senders will have this functionality built in (as well as send and receive TV audio and video wirelessly too) such as:

play.com/Ele…tml

Cheaper options that only control the remote control (with no wireless video and audio transmission) are available to such as this (I know it's out of stock but the link is purely to serve as an example of the type of device you require):

play.com/Ele…der

If you choose the AV sender option you may experience interference with wireless devices using the same frequency of transmission (for example 802.11b and g, DECT phones use the same frequency as most AV senders) but there are other options though.

I'm not sure what you mean by "getting Sky on your TV" because you mentioned that you don't have a digibox.

Banned

firina;4446642

I realise that Sky Link is not for changing Freeview channels, but … I realise that Sky Link is not for changing Freeview channels, but cannot work out how to get Sky (via the sky link) on the new TV.

ElliottC;4446750

The Sky Link cannot be used to change Freeview channels.I'm not sure what … The Sky Link cannot be used to change Freeview channels.I'm not sure what you mean by "getting Sky on your TV" because you mentioned that you don't have a digibox.

Read what they wrote

lumoruk;4446866

Read what they wrote

I have! Please read what I wrote. I fail to understand how changing of Sky channels is possible without a digibox. Firina mentioned connecting the Sky Link directly to the UHF input of the TV (which is how I understand it). Maybe Firina does have a Sky digibox but that isn't made evident given the documentation provided so if this is inveterated, then the answer is in Post number 2 of this thread.

Oh I see what you mean now! Your reply had 2 sentences in the quotation of which I only read the last one!

lumoruk;4446648

You need to tune one of your TV channels to the aerial frequency, … You need to tune one of your TV channels to the aerial frequency, remember good old VCR days? We have ours set to channel 0 on the TV, hope this helps :thumbsup:

Yep - that's your answer

set the sky box to tv guide or something that you will know when you see it and tune the TV until you see it...

Just a tuning issue :thumbsup:

ElliottC;4446898

I have! Please read what I wrote. I fail to understand how changing of … I have! Please read what I wrote. I fail to understand how changing of Sky channels is possible without a digibox. Firina mentioned connecting the Sky Link directly to the UHF input of the TV (which is how I undertand it).

If you don't understand - don't post
    it just confuses things

Banned

ElliottC;4446898

I have! Please read what I wrote. I fail to understand how changing of … I have! Please read what I wrote. I fail to understand how changing of Sky channels is possible without a digibox. Firina mentioned connecting the Sky Link directly to the UHF input of the TV (which is how I undertand it).

Digital Box (Digibox) is for freeview
    Sky box is for Sky???

The sky link goes directly into the UHF input which allows you to change the channel of the sky box elsewhere as long as the other end is connected and the power to the RF2 on the sky box is switched on

Original Poster

Many Thanks for al your replies. I apologise for any confusion. I meant I don't have a digibox connected to the new TV, but obviously there is a digibox for Sky in the main room. I will try the tuning the new TV, as suggested above. Rep added to all.

firina;4446975

Many Thanks for al your replies. I apologise for any confusion. I meant I … Many Thanks for al your replies. I apologise for any confusion. I meant I don't have a digibox connected to the new TV, but obviously there is a digibox for Sky in the main room. I will try the tuning the new TV, as suggested above. Rep added to all.

OK, you connect the Sky Link to RF2 of the Sky Digibox as per post 2 (yes it is a digibox, Lumoruk).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73844449
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047075
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767161
      4. one thing you're scared of4065

See more discussions