Sky Magic Eye - Odd

Posted 5th Feb
I get problems every so often with my Sky Magic Eye where it doesn't pick up the remote control.
I managed to sort it out by putting a DVD or CD on top of the sensor, everything works fine then.
Why would putting a DVD/CD on top of the sensor make any difference?
It all seems a bit strange to me.
Ta.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Ceiling light blinding it?
esar05/02/2020 13:02

Ceiling light blinding it?

No, it wouldn't be that.

Don't ask me why, but it's an intermittent problem. Last time it happened was around 6 months ago. I did the same thing then, just put a DVD on the sensor. About a fortnight after, it was working without the DVD.

I just don't get it.
chimp14uk05/02/2020 13:51

No, it wouldn't be that.Don't ask me why, but it's an intermittent …No, it wouldn't be that.Don't ask me why, but it's an intermittent problem. Last time it happened was around 6 months ago. I did the same thing then, just put a DVD on the sensor. About a fortnight after, it was working without the DVD.I just don't get it.

How well is it plugged in at the other end?
esar05/02/2020 14:03

How well is it plugged in at the other end?

It's fine.
The first thing I do is check all the connections, but that makes no difference.
chimp14uk05/02/2020 14:13

It's fine.The first thing I do is check all the connections, but that …It's fine.The first thing I do is check all the connections, but that makes no difference.

Any chance a wisp of coax copper is shorting across anywhere?
esar05/02/2020 15:45

Any chance a wisp of coax copper is shorting across anywhere?

Wouldn't have thought so as putting the DVD on the sensor wouldn't fix that problem.
39842243-qHa1Z.jpg
Remote doesn't work ^^^^^

39842243-yv1fb.jpg

Remote works ^^^^^^^^

chimp14uk05/02/2020 15:53

Wouldn't have thought so as putting the DVD on the sensor wouldn't fix …Wouldn't have thought so as putting the DVD on the sensor wouldn't fix that problem.

Eliminate the possible, and you're left with the impossible!
The only other thing I can think of is a broken solder joint, give everything a good rattle and see if anything happens
Edited by: "esar" 5th Feb
Try a covering it with a non metallic item like a bit of cardboard.
Also turn off the room light, turn on your phone's camera and look around the room for a source of infrared radiation (you'll only see it on the phone)
Edited by: "esar" 5th Feb
Sounds like that CD is amplifying the IR to the sensor you checked remote as the issue?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants