Groups

Sky + memory upgrade

Hi,
    Does anybody know how to go about increasing the memory for my Sky+ box?
    The actual box we have has a USB slot on the front of it so would it be as simple as buying an external drive and plugging it in or is there more to it than that?
    Cheers for any help....
    (P.S. If it is that easy, what is the best deal for external memory at the moment?)

7 Comments

Moved to correct forum

You can't use the USB slot, you need to open the box up and replace the existing hard drive - what drives you can use and what capacities are available are dependent on the model of Sky box you have. Ther eis software that allows you to copy the data from the old drive to the new drive by mounting both drives on a PC to make it easier moving to the new one.

John

Original Poster

rayman;6404746

Moved to correct forum

Oops, thank you :oops:

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;6404771

You can't use the USB slot, you need to open the box up and replace the … You can't use the USB slot, you need to open the box up and replace the existing hard drive - what drives you can use and what capacities are available are dependent on the model of Sky box you have. Ther eis software that allows you to copy the data from the old drive to the new drive by mounting both drives on a PC to make it easier moving to the new one.John

Thank you John. Where can I get the drives from and where can I research which one to get? Does the USB slot have any other use apart from connecting to the PC?

you cant connect the sky box to the pc via USB, you would have to take out both drives and put them in a pc, as far as i know the only use the USB port has is to charge devices such as ipod or xbox controllers.

Original Poster

mattbisme;6405223

you cant connect the sky box to the pc via USB, you would have to take … you cant connect the sky box to the pc via USB, you would have to take out both drives and put them in a pc, as far as i know the only use the USB port has is to charge devices such as ipod or xbox controllers.

Thank you. That's a bit pointless isn't it? I suppose they were planning on adding peripherals to it or something. Weird. Cheers for the explanation though, rep left.

You can put in a 500gb straight into the box and it will work , anything over and you need to use Copy+ and a PC to transfer programs off your old hard drive and this will format the drive to the correct type of format at the same time, (Sky boxes autonatically format drives 500gb and under, anything over the firmware wont reconise the extra space)

It also uses the old type of connection i cant remember the name now but its not ESTA as thats on the new HD boxes
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2439
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764486
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …55101
      4. Can i return jewellery to Argos? + quick rep98

See more discussions