Sky or Virgin?

Found 29th Jul 2017
Hello, I wanted peoples opinions on Virgin Media. My Sky bill has rocketed up after 12 months and I am thinking of switching to virgin. What is the 'V6' box like and generally are people happy with their speeds and TV services? We are thinking of the 'full house' package. Cheers.

1. Ask
  2. Sky
  3. Virgin
19 Comments

People will go with what they have naturally for the best.

We have VM, Internet speeds cannot be beaten, 200mb. Want the v6 box, but not willing to pay for it so going to wait until out of contact then get it thrown in to keep me.

I'm with Virgin, only 50 mb, but I'm sure they throttle it these days. Always gets a good speed test result, so maybe they don't throttle those sites?
Would ditch Virgin, but for who? ADSL is pants, I just want a solid 50mbps for 30 quid or less, they can stuff their landline...I just don't use it.

I'm jaded with Virgin, but don't believe any of them are ant better. People talk about the big 6 energy suppliers dominating the market, there is less choice of media providers.

The internet speed with Virgin is dependent on area and how many people use it, think of it as a pipe running down the street and everyone is leeching off it (See watchdog on BBC iPlayer for recent complaints). Sky uses openreach cabling but have their own backend the speed will be consistent but limited to your distance from the exchange or cabinet if FTTC.

Point is you can't go by other peoples experience to know what to expect.

Just ring Sky up and cancel - you'll get a deal to stay with them pretty much immediately on your account or hold out for a better deal if you're happy with Sky in general (other than the price). Personally I can't go anywhere near Virgin even though it's available for me as really bad utilisation where I live.

We changed from Sky to Virgin last November. BIG MISTAKE. Cannot wait for the contract to end so we can go back to Sky. The Virgin box is so slow, although people say the latest box is quicker. It's not only that though, it's the monotonous pressing of buttons to do anything, you cannot simply set just a reminder for a program, you have to record and remind. The only (and I mean only) thing I like about it, is when you view a recorded program and you fast forward through the adverts, you will most likely go past them and start play back into the program, but with Virgin it will automatically start at the end of the adverts when you press play.

Want the best TV experience?
Sky, all the way.
Reasons:-
1) UHD is getting bigger and better: Sky is the only place for it, content wise both live and On Demand.
- Any one want to challenge this? I'll fight you :-)
2) Future proof: It's still at the infancy stage. It's capable of SO much more and things are only JUST starting to get better
- Dolby Atmos, Voice Function, Sky/Devialet collaboration with the Sky Sound box, and soon EVERYTHING will be plugged in to the Sky box (except your wanger), and apps: They're already being developed ;-) I shall name no names.
3) *digressed point* VIP service launching: Tenure based loyalty rewards. Tickets to concerts, big sporting events (top big football games perhaps), a free buy and keep every month, free upgrades toother platforms & services, Annual gifts, and priority line when you need to call in....
Just to name a couple...
All the above is worth paying MORE for: Not LESS :-)

Stay with the best, pay for the best, be with Sky

Sky.

Virgin is horrible at solving issues. We were left without internet for more than a month. In the most well connected part of the country (London Zone 1)! It was apparently a very easy technical problem to solve. But they waited to do so for weeks because a car was in the way. No update was provided. We had to keep chasing.

I'm with vm and the internet speeds are amazing. I get the speeds I pay for at all times and I never have any issues. Sky and Bt always offer speeds but never seem to attain them. I can't fault the internet with virgin except maybe the upload speeds could be higher.

Their tv on the other hand is the biggest pile of s*ite ever. It doesn't look as clear as sky and the box just is nowhere near as good. It was cheaper in their introductory rate but once this expired they put the price up about 4 times a year, I cancelled the tv package then

Virgin box is a horrible experience but they can't be beaten for their net speeds.
Sky box is magnificent but net is garbage.

Say to sky, you will cancel. Then go on live chat, and say you got an email for 50 or 75% discount. Also vm internet is bad these days,.

Original Poster

Thanks all. I'll call Sky again tomorrow. I called Virgin sales and had such a bad experience yesterday. I said in the beginning of the call that I just wanted to see what they could do with the 'full house' bundle which was already discounted at £55. She went on to give £2 recurring discount...to £3 then eventually £5 saying only if I take it there and then. I had to hang up as she was bordering on aggresive...she then called back 3 times and left lenghy blank voicemails...w.t.h!!!

arjanvirdi4 h, 8 m ago

Say to sky, you will cancel. Then go on live chat, and say you got an …Say to sky, you will cancel. Then go on live chat, and say you got an email for 50 or 75% discount. Also vm internet is bad these days,.

Never had an issue with virgin media internet I pull between 170-220 Mbps and I've had zero downtime in over 3 years.

I hated my Virgin Media/Tivo box, that GUI is ugly, slow and the colours even worse, searching is horrid as it fetches Netflix and Youtube results.
BB was ok, I got my package speeds but that does depend on area, so yours could vary, I used to trigger the traffic management most days, I upload a lot and their hub would die with 6 or more connections at the same time.

I would use them again though but only for internet use.

5in60po

1) UHD is getting bigger and better: Sky is the only place for it, … 1) UHD is getting bigger and better: Sky is the only place for it, content wise both live and On Demand.- Any one want to challenge this? I'll fight you :-)

BT offer BT Sports in UHD and did so before Sky
So they're not the only ones and were 2nd to broadcast it, also Netflix has 4k content.

Dannyrobbo29 m ago

Never had an issue with virgin media internet I pull between 170-220 Mbps …Never had an issue with virgin media internet I pull between 170-220 Mbps and I've had zero downtime in over 3 years.

I used to have it, and also never had a problem. But I have seen that lots of people have problems these days with the speed, and slowness during peak times.

Sky
They provide a better service, if you call them up they will be able to sort you out a deal if you say how they should value you as a customer as you've been with them for a while and say virgin media are offering you better discounts and they will try and match or do better

PKRichie5 h, 7 m ago

I hated my Virgin Media/Tivo box, that GUI is ugly, slow and the colours …I hated my Virgin Media/Tivo box, that GUI is ugly, slow and the colours even worse, searching is horrid as it fetches Netflix and Youtube results.BB was ok, I got my package speeds but that does depend on area, so yours could vary, I used to trigger the traffic management most days, I upload a lot and their hub would die with 6 or more connections at the same time.I would use them again though but only for internet use. BT offer BT Sports in UHD and did so before Sky :pSo they're not the only ones and were 2nd to broadcast it, also Netflix has 4k content.

Your argument is BT Sport and Netflix
O.k.... let's quantify it along side Sky...

Rest my case. Take a seat

Beebee18

We changed from Sky to Virgin last November. BIG MISTAKE. Cannot wait for … We changed from Sky to Virgin last November. BIG MISTAKE. Cannot wait for the contract to end so we can go back to Sky. The Virgin box is so slow, although people say the latest box is quicker. It's not only that though, it's the monotonous pressing of buttons to do anything, you cannot simply set just a reminder for a program, you have to record and remind. The only (and I mean only) thing I like about it, is when you view a recorded program and you fast forward through the adverts, you will most likely go past them and start play back into the program, but with Virgin it will automatically start at the end of the adverts when you press play.

You must have the TiVo. Upgrade to the v6. It's much better box.

Original Poster

An update to this. Sky called again mid cancellation and offered 40% off but this still doesn't beat Virgin. On top of that I realised I have access to Virgin partner deals. I am considering the full house package + 200mb VIVID for £51 (12 month). I think this is a good deal and have also seen a Tivo vs V6 comparison on YT and there is no lag on the V6 box. Any more final advice welcome before I decide tomorrow. Sky are not budging any further and they are trying to get me to commit for 18 months.

Original Poster

I have finally decided to go for £59/12 months for 200mb VIVID, full house package + movie channels. I have cancelled Netflix and saving £8 in that, and Sky movies always show great films anyway. Alongside this I have access to 1000s of movies on the Sky website and app for streaming. Thanks all for help
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions