Groups

Sky or Virgin?

I'm with Sky at the moment and have the entertainment package, the top broadband (although we don't use that much) and have a BT line. Just had a HD tv so looking at possibly getting HD and using the phone line. I am happy to move my BT phone line to one of the other companys but just wondering what Virgin were like.
    To be honest I am not over impressed with Sky broadband but Sky seem to be cheaper by about £10 (without HD). Although with the 2 months free and quidco I get HD for about the same price.
    I have phoned Sky and although I have agreed to take a new 12 month contract I will get nothing extra, not even a HD box unless I pay the £10 a month.
    Hmmmm what to do...... I was hoping for some words of wisdom from my helpful HUKD pals.
    BTW I'm not interested in sports or movies.

10 Comments

how long you been with sky and are you currently in a contract?

SuperEd

i went with virgin. worst thing i ever done finally got out my contract with virgin after 3 months and went back to sky. NEVER touch Virgin again

Sky are better, Unless you want the full 50mb broadband.

Banned

Virgin media is a little sluggish although so is sky since the OS update. Personally prefer virgin media because of the BBC iplayer, 40D, ITV player etc... support. Sky have the upper hand with HD, but may soon have to give that up anyway. I would recommend virgin media, but depending on what you want sky may be a better choice for you.

Virgin media internet is actually what they sell it as not half of what your supposed to get due to the fibre optic cabling they have. Seems internet isnt a concern for you though

sky all the way. virgin is so slow to respond

I have both. Sky for my hd tv, and virgin for the internet. Works out we have 2 landlines, but we got the sky one free for a year anyway. I swear by virgin internet, its so fast compared to when I had sky previously.

Ps.... if your not intrested in sports or movies, have you considered 'freesat' and get a basic package from virgin for net and phone?

I phoned up 2 weeks ago and said i wanted to cancel in full, they then offered me a free sky hd box, free installation and 9 months free subscription,.
    So im only paying for 3 months at the end,, by that time im out of the contract too

Original Poster

simplex;8504817

how long you been with sky and are you currently in a contract?

No not in a contract. Been with them for 5 years probably longer

goonertillidie;8504850

i went with virgin. worst thing i ever done finally got out my contract … i went with virgin. worst thing i ever done finally got out my contract with virgin after 3 months and went back to sky. NEVER touch Virgin again

Why???

shauneco;8504883

Sky are better, Unless you want the full 50mb broadband.

No was only looking at getting the 10mb to be honest. I only use it for browsing and my OH for gaming

4lyons09;8504918

I have both. Sky for my hd tv, and virgin for the internet. Works out we … I have both. Sky for my hd tv, and virgin for the internet. Works out we have 2 landlines, but we got the sky one free for a year anyway. I swear by virgin internet, its so fast compared to when I had sky previously.Ps.... if your not intrested in sports or movies, have you considered 'freesat' and get a basic package from virgin for net and phone?

Our sky broadband isn't much good. We lost it for 2 days this week with the rest of Great Barr.
    Freesat no good as I need Nick Jnr etc for the children. I looked at it yesterday when getting the new tv

[QUOTE=goonertillidie;8504850]i went with virgin. worst thing i ever done finally got out my contract with virgin after 3 months and went back to sky. NEVER touch Virgin again[/QUOTE

We're with Virgin, never had a problem, had loads when with Sky and the cheeky ******s wanted to charge us to come out and fix their problem.

We recently rang Virgin and told them we were thinking of switching (we we'rnt), they offered to fit 3 HD V+ boxes for free in our games room, family room and living room, and they reduced our bill by £16 per month. We are on the XL package with phone, TV and Broadband.

Banned

KazzyD;8505114

[QUOTE=goonertillidie;8504850]i went with virgin. worst thing i ever done … [QUOTE=goonertillidie;8504850]i went with virgin. worst thing i ever done finally got out my contract with virgin after 3 months and went back to sky. NEVER touch Virgin again[/QUOTEWe're with Virgin, never had a problem, had loads when with Sky and the cheeky ******s wanted to charge us to come out and fix their problem.We recently rang Virgin and told them we were thinking of switching (we we'rnt), they offered to fit 3 HD V+ boxes for free in our games room, family room and living room, and they reduced our bill by £16 per month. We are on the XL package with phone, TV and Broadband.

hey kazzy my mum is with virgin too,the large package, would you know how long customers are tied into contracts for? assumeing 12 months?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767418
      2. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?67
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17876394
      4. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…3180

See more discussions