Expired

Sky Overcharging Me

Found 22nd Feb 2014
I accepted an offer of £30 per month for Sky broadband, entertainment extra and sky line rental for 12 months. I agreed to this offer after my first year contract ended. I moved home in December (around 9 months into second year contract) and now my bill has gone up to £45 per month. I told sky and they said i had lost the offer of £30 per month because i moved home.

Can they do this?
Community Updates
AskChargerSky
10 Comments
They can do anything they want, sometimes they will credit the account with a lump sum which lowers the monthly payment, so the structuring of the deal may mean you have already saved, but it's confusing so you need to have all the paperwork.

If you moved home, you would have had to pay for an installation, so they see this as a cost, meaning you lose the deal.
Not really.

Find out if when you moved home did they put you into a new contract or on your existing contract?

Find the contract - information they sent you and read the small print.

Ring Customer services and tell them you are unhappy as no one told you this when you first took it out and you feel you've been miss sold this product. Say you will go to OffCom etc.

Tell them are you still in contract?

Ask them to listen to the call when you placed your order. They didn't tell you information about moving home?

Again, read and re-read the contract and terms and conditions they sent you as it will be in there whether the contract continues if you move home. If it doesn't then you should be out of contract and free to go elsewhere. In this case ring retentions and get a new deal.
krazyasif786

Not really. Find out if when you moved home did they put you into a new … Not really. Find out if when you moved home did they put you into a new contract or on your existing contract?Find the contract - information they sent you and read the small print.Ring Customer services and tell them you are unhappy as no one told you this when you first took it out and you feel you've been miss sold this product. Say you will go to OffCom etc. Tell them are you still in contract? Ask them to listen to the call when you placed your order. They didn't tell you information about moving home?Again, read and re-read the contract and terms and conditions they sent you as it will be in there whether the contract continues if you move home. If it doesn't then you should be out of contract and free to go elsewhere. In this case ring retentions and get a new deal.

And good luck with that.
aircanman

And good luck with that.

Yeah I forgot to add that lol

TBH Sky is all about customer service at the moment. They are really trying to keep their customer base. The agents are targeted for their customer service skills. They still get bonus for sales but it's more customer service that they are targeted to. I know this as I recently applied to them.

Anyway. Try it out.

Good Luck:)

OH and the main thing with these types of companies is persistence. Once advisor will say one thing and then you'll get another one. Phone then, email them, write them a letter. annoying the living daylights out of them with your comments and see what happens. Someone will just say ohhh F it here have this offer lol. Always works. Well 8/10.
Edited by: "krazyasif786" 22nd Feb 2014
krazyasif786

Yeah I forgot to add that lolTBH Sky is all about customer service at the … Yeah I forgot to add that lolTBH Sky is all about customer service at the moment. They are really trying to keep their customer base. The agents are targeted for their customer service skills. They still get bonus for sales but it's more customer service that they are targeted to. I know this as I recently applied to them.Anyway. Try it out. Good Luck:)

If you applied to work with them, I am not surprised this is how they want people to represent their company, but in reality, I have had way more negative dealings than positive, and have been a Sky customer for about 7 years, god knows how many Sky boxes have gone wrong and how many times they wanted me to pay £100-200 for the pleasure, I have even had 2 agents literally swear their heads off at me, they are all about ££££ - But good luck if you get work with them.
aircanman

If you applied to work with them, I am not surprised this is how they … If you applied to work with them, I am not surprised this is how they want people to represent their company, but in reality, I have had way more negative dealings than positive, and have been a Sky customer for about 7 years, god knows how many Sky boxes have gone wrong and how many times they wanted me to pay £100-200 for the pleasure, I have even had 2 agents literally swear their heads off at me, they are all about ££££ - But good luck if you get work with them.

Nah I didn't get the job. From what they said they are all about customer service and wanting us to interact with the customer and be all gooey. Basically Customer is King. You do get bonus for selling things like HD or a movie pack etc but I don't believe they have retention bonus. It's all about customer service at the moment.

I've worked in a lot of call centres like this and there's always IDIxxts about who will hang up on customers or swear etc. I used to work with one guy who told a customer the reason why her broadband wasn't working was because there was a cheese burger on the line! He made he look outside her window to check! lol. It was his last day.

Anyway, what you'll find is each advisor you get has a different approach even though they feed from the same pit. The have their rules to follow but some people will stick to it like butter sticks to bread and others will be like the lube - all over the place.
Just had a bill increase cos they've moved me over from 02 where i had line rental, unlimited calls and broadband for £20 discounted as my other half worked in o2 dept. we had sky tv separate. They are now charging me for an advanced payment. The phone line had not worked for 2 month. There customer service was pathetic. They want to credit me for loss of service after they've took the increased payment out for services i didn't receive what a joke. We're thinking of cancelling all services now.
I am assuming you spoke to them over the phone -

when you informed them you were moving home, did they inform you of any change in cost/month? or any additional costs you would incur as a result of which? Have you checked your original contract to see if theres a caveat providing for extra charges should you move home?

They offer as a company the facility to take your services and the only thing that should change on your contract is the supply address.
The contract is void should they not be able to service your new property.

Unless you have agreed to and been informed of, any additional costs/charges they cannot charge you an erroneous charge.
This is a breach of contract, and also against the Direct debit guarantee. And you can make a claim against them for this.

They record their phonecalls, so make a complaint first over the phone taking note of who you speak to, and taking any complaint reference you can. The cust. service. adv will fob you off, at which point make it clear you want to speak to their manager/supervisor.

Its normal for them to give 24 hr callback or more... whatever timescale they give you (if they cannot speak to you on the day) confirm it back to them to show you understand.

Should this callback not be received write to them, advising your making an 'executive complaint', state your complaint. And give them 14 days to respond - send this recorded delivery - dont send an email, you may never get a response ....

Should they fail to give you a satisfactory answer/response - advise them you want to take the complaint to 'deadlock', and you wish to take this up with ofcom.

It will cost them in the region of a few hundred £££ should you go to ofcom, and they will need to prove to ofcom that you understood the terms of any 'new contract' (if thats the claim they make against the charge)

Complaining's a long and arduous process and you will be fobbed off before you get anywhere. But as long as your sure that youve never agreed to any new charges, and you were not informed of these on the call you made then you have a case.

Ofcom take a harsh view of companies that fail the direct debit guarantee and can be fined by them.

I daresay with 3 months left on your contract, and instalation costs at appx £50, they have added this onto your bil 3x £15 = 45...
If this is the case though it should clearly be marked as such and also have been agreed by yourself.

Wish you good luck - its worth it though!
Edited by: "Lucifer_UK" 23rd Feb 2014
FYI when you move home it's not a new contract the old one just carries over. If you ring back and try again they will be able to reapply the original offers.

SKY are a nightmare, they don't refund when they promise and when they do it is 10 days late and they have the nerve to charge 2 Chargeback fees. To make sure they make the most of it the divide your payment in two so they can charge you twice. They refuse to deal with me unless I phone them, they won't do it via email or Twitter or Private Message because using the phone they can deny all the lies they tell and there is nothing in writing . I was going to join them in 6 months time when my VM ends but it is a case better the devil you know and this devil is worse
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants