SKY price rise on 18 month free LG TV offer

Posted 18th Mar
Hey guys, anyone else have the sky bill increased with the 18 month free sky offer from LG? I have argued it and got nowhere and can't see how the offer could be 18 months free when price rise was coming. I can't find anywhere in T's & C's to advise either way. Anyone managed to fight this?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
I left sky eventually due to all these gradual price increases throughout the term of contract
I didn't accept that particular offer but will make the general observation related to a standard Sky TV term that has been present for literally years in any contract accepted by a Sky TV customer. Not suggesting the following term is right / wrong / fair / unfair or not, just that it is present and has been for years:
"...Paying for your Sky services and your bill
• Prices may increase and services may vary, including during the minimum term. We will let you know about any material changes and your options before we make them.
• In your minimum term, Sky TV prices may increase once every 12 months by up to 10%. These limits do not apply to other Sky services..."

web.archive.org/web…ew/

Additionally, assuming correct offer ref, the offer t&c includes the phrase:
"...prices may change during your minimum terms..."
web.archive.org/web…ons
If the advert said free for 18 months, then it should be free. If you get nowhere with them, complain to the ASA.
julieallen18/03/2020 12:19

If the advert said free for 18 months, then it should be free. If you get …If the advert said free for 18 months, then it should be free. If you get nowhere with them, complain to the ASA.

that is exactly my thinking thank you
julieallen18/03/2020 12:19

If the advert said free for 18 months, then it should be free. If you get …If the advert said free for 18 months, then it should be free. If you get nowhere with them, complain to the ASA.

If the promo is as prev mentioned that openly stated was free (base cost) but subject to in-term price rises, there is nothing to complain about unless the price rise(s) are not related to whatever term(s) the customer accepted at time of order.
But yes: no harm in complaining to ASA.
I signed back up for 18 months (£38 PM for Sky Ent with Fibre) and just had a £2 PM increase letter this morning. It says I can leave broadband without penalties.
AndyRoyd18/03/2020 13:59

If the promo is as prev mentioned that openly stated was free (base cost) …If the promo is as prev mentioned that openly stated was free (base cost) but subject to in-term price rises, there is nothing to complain about unless the price rise(s) are not related to whatever term(s) the customer accepted at time of order.But yes: no harm in complaining to ASA.

You are right but that's the thing no T's & C's regarding any price rise I have gone over it and over and can't find anything to say it would so I am hoping someone has gone through same as me. I am fully expecting to pay the extra few quid a month but hoping someone has managed to blag it.
AndyRoyd18/03/2020 13:59

If the promo is as prev mentioned that openly stated was free (base cost) …If the promo is as prev mentioned that openly stated was free (base cost) but subject to in-term price rises, there is nothing to complain about unless the price rise(s) are not related to whatever term(s) the customer accepted at time of order.But yes: no harm in complaining to ASA.

Yes, that's what meant, if the advert said free for 18 month with no terms regarding an increase, or the terms weren't clearly displayed, then a complaint would be in order
afc4eva18/03/2020 14:08

You are right but that's the thing no T's & C's regarding any price rise I …You are right but that's the thing no T's & C's regarding any price rise I have gone over it and over and can't find anything to say it would so I am hoping someone has gone through same as me. I am fully expecting to pay the extra few quid a month but hoping someone has managed to blag it.

What about the Sky price rise refs as mentioned in previous post? Did you not (have to) accept those Sky terms that included price rise ref(s) when you accpted the offer?
afc4eva18/03/2020 14:32

Comment deleted

If they increase it can't you leave penalty free?
MR112318/03/2020 14:36

If they increase it can't you leave penalty free?

I can but I am now paying £5 a month for sky (entertainment, HD and multi room) because of the offer for the just over the next year, so won't be leaving just yet ha ha. I am just annoyed that the offer was advertised as free and it isn't and wonder how they get away with that. if they said subject to price rise I would not be annoying you good people with my petty problems ha ha.
afc4eva18/03/2020 14:32

Comment deleted

I haven't seen the specific terms you accepted, but in both the standard Sky terms for minimum last 3 years and the terms of the referenced offer there is a price rise clause.
I assume you are being asked to pay just the price rise cost, meaning the difference between the original offer base cost (free) and the price rise? That would plausibly comply with the accepted t&c.
If any element of the free base cost has been removed and Sky is demanding full monthly cost with no allowance for the free offer then that would be unreasonable and definitely worthy of dispute / complaint.
AndyRoyd18/03/2020 14:14

What about the Sky price rise refs as mentioned in previous post? Did you …What about the Sky price rise refs as mentioned in previous post? Did you not (have to) accept those Sky terms that included price rise ref(s) when you accpted the offer?

Don't think I accpeted anything I already had sky, I have had it for years, they just took my code for the offer and they changed my contract to free with the exception of sports. My biggest argument is how can they run this massive promotion for 18 months free with the LG TV and within a few months its no longer free and nothing in the terms about a price increase
AndyRoyd18/03/2020 14:45

I haven't seen the specific terms you accepted, but in both the standard …I haven't seen the specific terms you accepted, but in both the standard Sky terms for minimum last 3 years and the terms of the referenced offer there is a price rise clause. I assume you are being asked to pay just the price rise cost, meaning the difference between the original offer base cost (free) and the price rise? That would plausibly comply with the accepted t&c. If any element of the free base cost has been removed and Sky is demanding full monthly cost with no allowance for the free offer then that would be unreasonable and definitely worthy of dispute / complaint.

I have a feeling you are right mate and that is pretty much what I expected to hear, I was hoping someone had managed to get them to honor the "free".
afc4eva18/03/2020 14:50

I have a feeling you are right mate and that is pretty much what I …I have a feeling you are right mate and that is pretty much what I expected to hear, I was hoping someone had managed to get them to honor the "free".

Here's your angle, based on you accepting both Sky's standard t&c and the information on the previously referenced offer page:

the offer is described as free. You reasonably interpret this as zero cost as there is no mention in the t&c of the offer being applied as a fully discounted credit of the usual service fee, i.e. there is no mention of the equivalent standard cost of (say) £35 being routinely credited with £35 to effect the "free" benefit.
You accepted the standard t&c that your base price (free / zero cost) may be increased by up to 10% within any 12m period.
10% of zero is still zero, therefore a price increase of zero added to a cost of zero is still zero, meaning that you are obligated to pay zero per month for the duration of the zero-cost offer period.
The above would apply to whatever service you received at zero cost and is charged at zero cost.
If you have other services, they may attract whatever price rise(s) are due subject to whatever t&c you accepted for the additional services.

Then there is the separate non-TV service(s) OFCOM-regulated phone / BB price rise early cancellation at no penalty option if prices rise by more than annual RPI, although not clear how that affects packaged-with-free-TV service and whether you really want to leave Sky as that would obviously mean you lose the pseudo-"free" benefit.
AndyRoyd18/03/2020 15:14

Here's your angle, based on you accepting both Sky's standard t&c and the …Here's your angle, based on you accepting both Sky's standard t&c and the information on the previously referenced offer page:the offer is described as free. You reasonably interpret this as zero cost as there is no mention in the t&c of the offer being applied as a fully discounted credit of the usual service fee, i.e. there is no mention of the equivalent standard cost of (say) £35 being routinely credited with £35 to effect the "free" benefit.You accepted the standard t&c that your base price (free / zero cost) may be increased by up to 10% within any 12m period. 10% of zero is still zero, therefore a price increase of zero added to a cost of zero is still zero, meaning that you are obligated to pay zero per month for the duration of the zero-cost offer period.The above would apply to whatever service you received at zero cost and is charged at zero cost. If you have other services, they may attract whatever price rise(s) are due subject to whatever t&c you accepted for the additional services.Then there is the separate non-TV service(s) OFCOM-regulated phone / BB price rise early cancellation at no penalty option if prices rise by more than annual RPI, although not clear how that affects packaged-with-free-TV service and whether you really want to leave Sky as that would obviously mean you lose the pseudo-"free" benefit.

you make a really good point of the 10% on £0 I will try that one on with them.
afc4eva18/03/2020 15:29

you make a really good point of the 10% on £0 I will try that one on with …you make a really good point of the 10% on £0 I will try that one on with them.

How is the "free" service presented on your monthly bill ?
AndyRoyd18/03/2020 15:30

How is the "free" service presented on your monthly bill ?

it says free where the cost would be then in the drop down part it has multi room £13 then same again below £-13
afc4eva18/03/2020 15:39

it says free where the cost would be then in the drop down part it has …it says free where the cost would be then in the drop down part it has multi room £13 then same again below £-13

I'd be comfortable bluntly disputing a rise to any line item identified as free.
Any t&c-complying rise exclusively applicable to an item not included in the free offer (presumably multiroom) I'd be inclined to accept without dispute, unless I had some time to kill, which is approaching in current climate
AndyRoyd18/03/2020 15:48

I'd be comfortable bluntly disputing a rise to any line item identified as …I'd be comfortable bluntly disputing a rise to any line item identified as free.Any t&c-complying rise exclusively applicable to an item not included in the free offer (presumably multiroom) I'd be inclined to accept without dispute, unless I had some time to kill, which is approaching in current climate

I will push them on it and see where I get, I tried the other day but just hit a brick wall with them. Thanks for taking your time out mate really appreciate your insight
afc4eva18/03/2020 16:08

I will push them on it and see where I get, I tried the other day but just …I will push them on it and see where I get, I tried the other day but just hit a brick wall with them. Thanks for taking your time out mate really appreciate your insight

Suggestion: download the formal bill (PDF?) rather than just view bill online. Look at how the "free" element is presented on the formal bill. Any increase to a line item subject to the offer and originally identified on the formal bill as free (i.e. without a recurring credit) should be straightforward to dispute with a CS jockey with direct reference to the formal bill presentation.
AndyRoyd18/03/2020 16:17

Suggestion: download the formal bill (PDF?) rather than just view bill …Suggestion: download the formal bill (PDF?) rather than just view bill online. Look at how the "free" element is presented on the formal bill. Any increase to a line item subject to the offer and originally identified on the formal bill as free (i.e. without a recurring credit) should be straightforward to dispute with a CS jockey with direct reference to the formal bill presentation.

cool will try that when I get home later, I don't think they have updated my bills yet with increase, I have just had an email
was this it?

tvoffer.sky.com/ter…ons

If so then I think you are well within your rights to expect it free for the 18 months, theres nothing in there to say otherwise or allowing them to put the prices up.
julieallen18/03/2020 16:44

was this it?https://tvoffer.sky.com/terms-and-conditionsIf so then I think …was this it?https://tvoffer.sky.com/terms-and-conditionsIf so then I think you are well within your rights to expect it free for the 18 months, theres nothing in there to say otherwise or allowing them to put the prices up.

Yeah that is the one and I think you are right
Hmm, so the day after receiving my £2 increase in fibre I have received a letter stating £1 increase in HD and £2 increase in Sky Entertainmen.

So a £5 increase is happening even though I only signed up to my renewal 6 weeks ago.

I am now currently paying £38 per month so there is no way I am paying that (well over 10%). They will probably try and tell me it is less than 10% of the full price before discount but I won't accept that.

It has annoyed me enough to consider ditching it altogether. Just need to find an alternative for a bit of live TV. (Freesat requires a box though which will be annoying as well as a reduction in channels). Will see.
smashed20/03/2020 14:40

Hmm, so the day after receiving my £2 increase in fibre I have received a …Hmm, so the day after receiving my £2 increase in fibre I have received a letter stating £1 increase in HD and £2 increase in Sky Entertainmen.So a £5 increase is happening even though I only signed up to my renewal 6 weeks ago.I am now currently paying £38 per month so there is no way I am paying that (well over 10%). They will probably try and tell me it is less than 10% of the full price before discount but I won't accept that.It has annoyed me enough to consider ditching it altogether. Just need to find an alternative for a bit of live TV. (Freesat requires a box though which will be annoying as well as a reduction in channels). Will see.

They did the same with my Broadband last year I was with them less than a month when they put it up so I left straight away as that is taking the piss, you can leave your contract without any charges if you wish to do so
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants