Sky q

Found 12th May
Hi

Does anyone know it’s it is worth changing over from the sky +box to sky q ? , and what are the benefits of changing over ?

Thanks
Sam
Community Updates
SkyEntertainmentAsk
20 Comments
Personally i think no. I bought a 2nd hand sky+ 2tb box off amazon.

With sky q you dont own the boxes so if you decide to leave sky in the future because you canr get a good deal you have to send them back.
Only issue is with the mini boxes as additional ones cost you money. Q box is better as you can pause on one box and resume on another.
If you have Sky multiroom in more than one other room /have a UHD tv / want to download programmes/films to watch on the go then yes. If not then no it’s not worth it.
Sky q 2tb box has 4K capability. If you don’t have a 4K tv or even movies or sports I wouldn’t bother
Definitely worth it imho. Couple of main benefits for me are: record upto 6 programmes, watch recorded programmes from any box (if you have multi room) or tablet, smartphones etc.
For me yes, but that’s because I have a 4K tv and a 2tb Q box watching stuff in 4K is incredible
Justsuperman49 m ago

For me yes, but that’s because I have a 4K tv and a 2tb Q box watching s …For me yes, but that’s because I have a 4K tv and a 2tb Q box watching stuff in 4K is incredible

What channels are available in 4K?
And once you have Sky Q getting a decent "deal" from Sky is nigh on impossible at the end of your contract . I suppose their view is they have you well and truly hooked ?
If you go from 2 x 2tb HD boxes you are halving your storage by changing to Sky Q.
Dont bother. Ever since we upgraded to SkyQ, our fibre broadband has been shocking
Slow speeds, randomly cutting out. I reckon its because SkyQ is constantly connected to the internet.
aturner1233 h, 1 m ago

Dont bother. Ever since we upgraded to SkyQ, our fibre broadband has been …Dont bother. Ever since we upgraded to SkyQ, our fibre broadband has been shocking Slow speeds, randomly cutting out. I reckon its because SkyQ is constantly connected to the internet.

Do you use their mesh network with mini boxes?
Installation fees are high, when considered with how much money you are already giving them. Plus, the kit is only rented and so if you leave and go back, you are going to pay again.
Bear in mind that most deals are now 18 months and throughout the contract, they will edge the prices up. If you are already on a discounted deal, you may end up paying full price for six months or so.
The technology is good, but quite an outlay. Unless I can get a better deal, I will stick with my existing boxes as I am not going to pay hundreds extra just for a bit of streaming technology.
Original Poster
Thank you every one for responses , I didn’t realise you had to return the boxes at the end of the contract , I will cancel the installation.
Edited by: "sam2828" 13th May
I managed to upgrade for £40 for multiroom. The box is good for space and the recording issue. We are a big family so loads of programmes on record at one time. For me it’s been good.
Pros and Cons

PROS
• Voice Search is awesome - Being able to say the name of a recording and have it play immediately is amazing. And when the commercials come, just say "Skip Five minutes" and you'll immediately jump to the end of them. It's a lot quicker than fast forwarding. It works really well, although 5% of the time it will go funny.
• Box is nice and compact with a lot less clutter
• On screen interface is pretty
• Much easier way of watching shows in different rooms without needing all the clutter of cables.
• 2tb has tons of space.

CONS
• Touch control is horrible to use. Sadly only the touch control has the voice microphone. As a result, I have to use two controls to operate the box - The touch control for the voice stuff and the regular remote for menus. It's silly.
• Remote control is very difficult to adjust to from Sky+ as many of the buttons have opposite functions. On Sky+ the SKY logo button is used to exit menus, but on Sky Q it is used to enter menus. Takes a long time to get used to.
• Interface is badly designed. The Sky Q interface might be visually pretty, but it isn't as functionally useful as the Sky Q one. For example, on Sky+ you can easily add "keep" to folders of shows. On Sky Q, you have to do it for each episode individually.
• Can't use mobile phone app to control the Sky Q box.

OTHER
If you use multi-room, there's a big thing to consider. With Sky+ each room had it's own box that stored it's own collection of programs. So if you had a Sky+ box in the kids room, for example, then it would only have the kids shows. With Sky Q, the extra boxes don't actually record anything and instead get programs from the main box. This means the main box has everyone's shows in the same 2TB of space. It can be a blessing because you can watch any show from any room. But it can also be a curse, especially if the kids, for example, overfill the main box with all their shows. (NB I have no experience of multiroom, as I only have one TV in the house, this is based on the experience of others)

Overall
I upgraded from Sky+HD 1TB. I love SkyQ because of the extra space and voice search. But there's a lot that's disappointing such as the fiddly interface and dreadful touch remote. Worth it if you need the extra space or UHD, otherwise avoid.
Dannyrobbo4 h, 7 m ago

Do you use their mesh network with mini boxes?

Yeah!
aturner12346 m ago

Yeah!

Try disabling it and see if that makes a difference. The sky mesh is pretty poor
You have to pay £12 extra for multiroom and to take advantage of UHD.
Dannyrobbo5 h, 58 m ago

Try disabling it and see if that makes a difference. The sky mesh is …Try disabling it and see if that makes a difference. The sky mesh is pretty poor

thank you my friend. appreciate it
If you have 4k maybe if not I can't see why you would need to. Sky plan to go dishless soon. So I bet they will need to switch everyone to q at some point. So hold out and I bet they will swap for free
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions