sky q 4k picture

so i have just got sky q on a cracking deal... anyways !! ....i have a 42 inch lg 4k tv, im sure my hd was better on the old box than it is on the q ? i have tried each setting 1080 i 1080 p and upscaled to 4k and all seem the same ,still a great picture but just not as good as before ? or maybe im just paranoid hmmmmmmm another thing the ultra hd on sky is not too impressisve the sports and box sets films etc seem a bit below par so i was thinking hmmmm maybe its my tv !!

but then i went on to the youtube app through sky q and watched a few 4k videos including film trailors sports and documentrys and it all blew me away !! the 4k football on youtube i was just thinking why the hell is it not like this on the sky q broadcasts ?

23 Comments

the cameras used for demo 4k and on YouTube are different to sky sports and most box sets etc.

Most channels are worse pal because sky is only 1080i, so it's upscaled by the box and your tv.

I too thought sky+ looked crisper

The only content in 4K on sky q is sky sports (with the red button) BT sport.

Have you played with output settings to change the output to 2160?
Apparently the scaler of the q box is poor as well,

Original Poster

some movies and box sets are in uhd as well i have just watched bridge of spies which was filmed in uhd and has not been re-masterd by sky ....but the picture quality in my eyes was no where near uhd quality its so frustrating !!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AStonedRaichu

Most channels are worse pal because sky is only 1080i, so it's upscaled … Most channels are worse pal because sky is only 1080i, so it's upscaled by the box and your tv. I too thought sky+ looked crisper The only content in 4K on sky q is sky sports (with the red button) BT sport.

Sky Cinema is also available in 4K

Original Poster

GRSC

Have you played with output settings to change the output to … Have you played with output settings to change the output to 2160?Apparently the scaler of the q box is poor as well,

yeah but i found it not as good as the original hd so i have it on 1080i and just change it over back to uhd when football is on ...... our las thinks im going crazy she keeps saying its a perfect picture and im like NO NO its NOT !!

driving me insane

GRSC

Sky Cinema is also available in 4K

It's not native tho only sports is native, as far as I am aware nothing on sky cinema is full 4K as of yet it's all upscaled 1080p.
Edited by: "AStonedRaichu" 9th Oct 2016

andyleeds20

yeah but i found it not as good as the original hd so i have it on 1080i … yeah but i found it not as good as the original hd so i have it on 1080i and just change it over back to uhd when football is on ...... our las thinks im going crazy she keeps saying its a perfect picture and im like NO NO its NOT !!driving me insane

What model LG is it?

andyleeds20

yeah but i found it not as good as the original hd so i have it on 1080i … yeah but i found it not as good as the original hd so i have it on 1080i and just change it over back to uhd when football is on ...... our las thinks im going crazy she keeps saying its a perfect picture and im like NO NO its NOT !!driving me insane

My lass says the same thing! I thought it was my OCD ha ha

Original Poster

GRSC

What model LG is it?

LG 42UB820V

AStonedRaichu

It's not native tho only sports is native, as far as I am aware nothing … It's not native tho only sports is native, as far as I am aware nothing on sky cinema is full 4K as of yet

I think they have a few. The Martian, Spectre and Everest are all on there but couldn't say if they are native 4K.

andyleeds20

LG 42UB820V

Could be the limitations of the TV, I think that tv is a first or second gen 4K tv, could be worth testing your box on a different 4K tv(if you can access one).

Original Poster

GRSC

Could be the limitations of the TV, I think that tv is a first or second … Could be the limitations of the TV, I think that tv is a first or second gen 4K tv, could be worth testing your box on a different 4K tv(if you can access one).

yeah possibly i was thinking that, im thinking of upgrading to a 55 inch one maybe the sony one on here from argos at 700 the tv i have now has fantastic reviews mind

I don't have a 4K TV yet, I'm watching Sky Q on 1080P until I get my set closer to Christmas. So far, on 1080 I would say that the picture quality of my Q box is better than my old HD box. Yet to try UHD or 4K.

my sky engineer told me to switch to another supplied HDMI cable when I go to 4k...I'm guessing that's a load of tosh?

Original Poster

Apogee00

my sky engineer told me to switch to another supplied HDMI cable when I … my sky engineer told me to switch to another supplied HDMI cable when I go to 4k...I'm guessing that's a load of tosh?

Was he high

What deal did you get on Sky Q? I've not seen anything worth getting yet! Did you get it as a new customer, or did you manage to upgrade from existing package?
Thanks!

Original Poster

I got it for 35 a month for all sky tv box sets movies sports in hd plus 12 months free multi room with 10 pound installation through a code i got from av forums

If you're using a 99p HDMI 1st gen cable off the market I would swap it out for a more recent generation cable. I've heard they can cause issues...

Original Poster

Hallsie

If you're using a 99p HDMI 1st gen cable off the market I would swap it … If you're using a 99p HDMI 1st gen cable off the market I would swap it out for a more recent generation cable. I've heard they can cause issues...

Using the pink hdmi cable supplied by the engineer

Great ' I'm looking for a such deal if still available as new customer... any idea!?

andyleeds20

I got it for 35 a month for all sky tv box sets movies sports in hd plus … I got it for 35 a month for all sky tv box sets movies sports in hd plus 12 months free multi room with 10 pound installation through a code i got from av forums

andyleeds20

some movies and box sets are in uhd as well i have just watched bridge … some movies and box sets are in uhd as well i have just watched bridge of spies which was filmed in uhd and has not been re-masterd by sky ....but the picture quality in my eyes was no where near uhd quality its so frustrating !!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

How's the movie. It's on my watch list but how fast does the story move?

Original Poster

So I've just bought the 2016 lg 55uh661v55 maybe I'm obsessed but the sky q picture still ain't fantastic some may say yes it is ! But I've got netflix built in the TV and the 4k is fantastic some sky HD channels look good and I've just activated some couler thing in the main tv menu which looks great... but I'm appalled at sky q picture really am .... if anyone has some settings for this TV be much appreciated the TV has great reviews and was 800 quid so I know it's not the TV.... ahhhhh help!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)67
    2. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy34
    3. Any eBay final value fee promos?11
    4. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2342

See more discussions