Sky Q Mesh System

Posted 20th Apr
I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you have sky fibre with sky q (and a sky q mini box) that it all acts as it’s own mesh network around the house. Does anyone know if this is correct? If so will other devices benefit from it or does it only help the sky boxes? Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Yes that is correct. It is supposed to provide mesh for all devices not just the sky boxes. However in my experience it is poor, better systems out there for mesh
mds125620/04/2020 19:50

Yes that is correct. It is supposed to provide mesh for all devices not …Yes that is correct. It is supposed to provide mesh for all devices not just the sky boxes. However in my experience it is poor, better systems out there for mesh

Cheers for the info. Am I right in thinking though that other mesh systems won’t work with sky fibre as it’s hub doesn’t have a modem only mode?
nicholasgatti20/04/2020 19:57

Cheers for the info. Am I right in thinking though that other mesh systems …Cheers for the info. Am I right in thinking though that other mesh systems won’t work with sky fibre as it’s hub doesn’t have a modem only mode?

Kind of, you can get an openreach modem that will allow you to use any router (however the router must support DHCP option 61).
You can't have a mesh topology between only two wi-fi access points. It's only a meaningful description when you have three or more.
I had the whole shebang and the wifi coverage was appalling.
Prosamuraiman21/04/2020 03:23

I had the whole shebang and the wifi coverage was appalling.

“Had”? So I’m guessing you’ve replaced it with something better now? What did you go for?
nicholasgatti21/04/2020 08:08

“Had”? So I’m guessing you’ve replaced it with something better now? What d …“Had”? So I’m guessing you’ve replaced it with something better now? What did you go for?

Went over to Plusnet and purchased my own router (Nighthawk) and then added a second Plusnet router into the mix so now I have two routers pumping Wifi around the house to give me full coverage.
Prosamuraiman21/04/2020 10:13

Went over to Plusnet and purchased my own router (Nighthawk) and then …Went over to Plusnet and purchased my own router (Nighthawk) and then added a second Plusnet router into the mix so now I have two routers pumping Wifi around the house to give me full coverage.

That all sounds far too complicated for me Would I need an additional phone point for a second router?
nicholasgatti21/04/2020 10:31

That all sounds far too complicated for me Would I need an …That all sounds far too complicated for me Would I need an additional phone point for a second router?

Oh no, it can be easily done.
I was lucky as they sent me a second router by accident. What you need to do is just set up your first router like you normally would and then just connect the second router to the first by cable. There are a few easy enough settings to change in the router menu and that was pretty much it, two wifi zones.

As I'm crap with all things internet, both zones have different names as I didn't know how to make the two wifi zones share the same name so devices could move between zones seamlessly - if anyone knows how to do this please share!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions