Found 23rd Feb
Hi everyone...

I think I may know the answer to this but I'm gonna ask it anyway in case anyone had actually tried it.
So, I have Sky Q in the living room (main box) and one additional Mini Box upstairs in the bedroom. Would the Mini Box still work if I took it to a different address and connected it to their WiFi?
I'm guessing it's all connected over the same network but I just wondered if anyone had success trying it...

Thanks.

1. Ask
  2. Sky
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Sky
6 Comments

Won't work, have to be connected to the same network

Agreed won't work. The mini's are practically dumb terminals to the main box.

As the other guys have said already it won't work. The mini box needs to be attached to the same network as your main Q box as this is where it gets all its info from such as subscriptions etc.

Isn't it on its own network also with the main box?
So normal wifi range
Edited by: "Qrunch" 24th Feb

Qrunch

Isn't it on its own network also with the main box? So normal wifi range

Yes they create their own mesh, so like you said they have to be within normal wifi range of each other. TP links/3rd party boosters won't work either.

Qrunch

Isn't it on its own network also with the main box? So normal wifi range

​Yep mini boxes connect to the main box wifi. You can also wire it by ethernet to a sky hub and I think there's powerline tech built in as well.
Still got to reset the stupid things whenever there's an update and they lose sync.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226655
    2. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3475
    3. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz1013
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769620

See more discussions