Sky+ Record Only

Posted 13th Oct
My Sky contract is nearly up and the cost is going to double from £31 to £62pm.
I've currently got Entertainment, Sports and Boxsets.
£62 is way too much and there's basically nothing I really want to watch except for the sports, so I'm going to cancel and get Now TV and buy cheapo week passes for £3 odd.
Does anyone know whether I can keep the record function on the Sky box for 'Freeview' channels and how much it costs?
I have been offered Sky Q for £12pm, but my SKY wi-fi keeps disconnecting, so I don't know whether it would be a good idea getting it.
Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
I pay about £11/month for a Sky+ HD box with the Entertainment pack that allows recording.
Gollywood13/10/2019 06:15

I pay about £11/month for a Sky+ HD box with the Entertainment pack that …I pay about £11/month for a Sky+ HD box with the Entertainment pack that allows recording.

Ah, ok. Hopefully I'll be able to get a deal like that.
£62 is just obscene.
chimp14uk13/10/2019 06:32

Ah, ok. Hopefully I'll be able to get a deal like that.£62 is just obscene.

I think a quick phone call should avert the double price increase!
Just buy a Humax FreeviewHD recorder and be done with rip off Sky all together.
We binned Sky about 8 years ago and have never had any regrets.
If you really want to keep sky give them you cancellation notice and you'll be bombarded with offers, even after 12 months after we binned them they were phoning and sending us letters with discounts galore.
Edited by: "porsche911turbo" 13th Oct
Gollywood13/10/2019 06:34

I think a quick phone call should avert the double price increase!

I gave them a ring, but I'm not within the 30 day cancellation period for another week, so they couldn't offer me anything.
Suppose I'll try again, but if it's not close to what I'm paying now, I'll bin them off.
porsche911turbo13/10/2019 06:36

Just buy a Humax FreeviewHD recorder and be done with rip off Sky all …Just buy a Humax FreeviewHD recorder and be done with rip off Sky all together.We binned Sky about 8 years ago and have never had any regrets.If you really want to keep sky give them you cancellation notice and you'll be bombarded with offers, even after 12 months after we binned them they were phoning and sending us letters with discounts galore.

The problem is that the main room we view in can only get Freeview though an i/o link (or whatever it is) through the Sky box which is in the other room.
Would I be able to make a link from the Sky box to the Humax?
Go on chat with them and chances are, (if you're happy paying £31pm) they'll match as long as you sign up for another contract length.

My package was going to go up from £31 to £52...10 minutes later the chat host matched my expiring deal for another 18 months.
chimp14uk13/10/2019 07:11

The problem is that the main room we view in can only get Freeview though …The problem is that the main room we view in can only get Freeview though an i/o link (or whatever it is) through the Sky box which is in the other room.Would I be able to make a link from the Sky box to the Humax?

Buy a Humax sat recorder?
AndyRoyd13/10/2019 12:06

Buy a Humax sat recorder?

Not getting you.
I have no Freeview feed to the main room except from the Sky box.
If I bin Sky, would I still be able to get the feed through the i/o thingy?
chimp14uk13/10/2019 12:18

Not getting you.I have no Freeview feed to the main room except from the …Not getting you.I have no Freeview feed to the main room except from the Sky box.If I bin Sky, would I still be able to get the feed through the i/o thingy?

A “sky eye” should work with anything that has a ariel style output. A sky Q box for example does not, so you would need a mini box also or get sky to run new cabling, they will need to add a new dish anyway.
chimp14uk13/10/2019 12:18

Not getting you.I have no Freeview feed to the main room except from the …Not getting you.I have no Freeview feed to the main room except from the Sky box.If I bin Sky, would I still be able to get the feed through the i/o thingy?

What is the source of your access to Freeview? Do you have a functional terestrial TV antenna, or exclusively just a sat dish?
AndyRoyd13/10/2019 16:05

What is the source of your access to Freeview? Do you have a functional …What is the source of your access to Freeview? Do you have a functional terestrial TV antenna, or exclusively just a sat dish?

I have a TV antenna, but the cable runs into another room.
It goes into the i/o thingy that goes into the Sky box and that is relayed into the viewing room via a Sky eye.
chimp14uk13/10/2019 18:37

I have a TV antenna, but the cable runs into another room.It goes into the …I have a TV antenna, but the cable runs into another room.It goes into the i/o thingy that goes into the Sky box and that is relayed into the viewing room via a Sky eye.

Implies the Sky box is in a different room to your viewing room so anything you (may?) currently watch in your viewing room via the Sky eye feed is exclusively in SD.
chimp14uk13/10/2019 07:11

The problem is that the main room we view in can only get Freeview though …The problem is that the main room we view in can only get Freeview though an i/o link (or whatever it is) through the Sky box which is in the other room.Would I be able to make a link from the Sky box to the Humax?

Where do you want to watch recorded programmes? Your viewing room and / or room that has the Sky box?
You could use the existing interconnecting Sky Eye coax cable to split/extend the FV antenna signal output from the Sky box room to the viewing room for full access to all terrestrial FV channels (inc real HD) for the viewing room, but in doing so you would lose access to the Sky box and its content in the viewing room.
If you wanted to watch and record FV in your viewing room to be only watched in the viewing room you would need a FV recorder (e.g. Humax FV twin tuner recorder about £40 with 2yr warranty).
You should still be able to use the Sky box as a simple Freesat tuner for one-off £25, but not for recording Freesat. For recording Freesat to be watched in the Sky box room you would need a non-subscription Freesat recorder (e.g. Humax FS twin tuner recorder about £65 with 2 year warranty), but you would not be (easily) able to watch the Freesat live or recorded content in your viewing room, not that you may want to if the viewing room has a FV recorder. Or just get a FV recorder for the Sky box room and forget sat-sourced TV completely; most decent terrestrial TV aerials can happily satisfy two devices simultaneously.
Random example refs to above ramble:
sky.com/sho…me/
uk.webuy.com/pro…gb
uk.webuy.com/pro…5ga
There are other permutations but it becomes a little complex, and dull.
Be aware of some minor channel variances between FV and FS.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants