Sky Service Engineer Jobs

Posted 13th Nov
Looking a change in career direction, I applied for the BT Engineer Jobs and was successful but just before the interview day they stopped recruitment in my area, gutted, I am on file but its a case of waiting and most likely for a long time, but I have just past the initial interviews with Sky and have been invited to an experience day.

Does anyone know what its like working for Sky as an engineer? or any advice for the experience day?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Just a little update I passed the assesment day 😁
28 Comments
I've been thinking similar.
Do your have any relevant experience?
I've seen that they will train you up but thought I wouldn't even stand a chance getting through to the interviews as I've not done anything like that before.
stefromuk13/11/2019 13:57

I've been thinking similar.Do your have any relevant experience?I've seen …I've been thinking similar.Do your have any relevant experience?I've seen that they will train you up but thought I wouldn't even stand a chance getting through to the interviews as I've not done anything like that before.

Nope never done anything like it, they said they prefer that as they can train you their way
MrSprkle13/11/2019 14:13

Nope never done anything like it, they said they prefer that as they can …Nope never done anything like it, they said they prefer that as they can train you their way

Sounds good.
Good luck !
I just looked and they don't have my postcode listed but it says that Manchester is which is only 8 miles away.
I wonder if that makes a difference in the application, or it's just where you'd be working.
stefromuk13/11/2019 14:29

Sounds good.Good luck !I just looked and they don't have my postcode …Sounds good.Good luck !I just looked and they don't have my postcode listed but it says that Manchester is which is only 8 miles away.I wonder if that makes a difference in the application, or it's just where you'd be working.

Yeah you have to be within 30 miles of the postcode, and thanks
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 13th Nov
How much they pay 💰
Starts at 23k a year + bonus.. perks are pretty good, free Sky Q, Broadband, Talk, iPhone, iPad, free personal use of van etc..
ashmac13/11/2019 17:24

How much they pay 💰

MrSprkle13/11/2019 18:07

Starts at 23k a year + bonus.. perks are pretty good, free Sky Q, …Starts at 23k a year + bonus.. perks are pretty good, free Sky Q, Broadband, Talk, iPhone, iPad, free personal use of van etc..

Not bad
ashmac13/11/2019 18:22

Not bad

BT was a bit better starting at 27K a year..

& Ive heard working for Sky is hard work esp in winter and wetter months, but im not afriad of that.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 13th Nov
If there is a group activity at the experience day, don't behave like a candidate for the Apprentice. Listen to everyone else and if there are any disputes make a point of trying to find common ground. They will be looking for rounded human beings who can fit in a team, not egomaniacs. Best of luck
sorry to hijack thread ,ive just applied and now at the video assesment stage,1.Im really nervous and hate being on camera and 2 ive got a face for radio not tv .My 1st job at 18 was installing dishes before you even had to pay for sky and health and safety regulations came into play,so im almost turning full circle 30 years later,but i think i could do it and enjoy it more importantly.Any tips from people who have done it?
jamstaruk197213/11/2019 20:03

sorry to hijack thread ,ive just applied and now at the video assesment …sorry to hijack thread ,ive just applied and now at the video assesment stage,1.Im really nervous and hate being on camera and 2 ive got a face for radio not tv .My 1st job at 18 was installing dishes before you even had to pay for sky and health and safety regulations came into play,so im almost turning full circle 30 years later,but i think i could do it and enjoy it more importantly.Any tips from people who have done it?

The video interview is just to see you for who you are, I actually read the first question wrong on my video assessment and answered it according to what I thought I read and still passed..

Just answer honestly try to give longer answers, using words like communication and team work etc..

I didn't get invited to the experience day until after 4 days, so dontt worry if you havent got a reply the next day.
MrSprkle13/11/2019 20:30

The video interview is just to see you for who you are, I actually read …The video interview is just to see you for who you are, I actually read the first question wrong on my video assessment and answered it according to what I thought I read and still passed..Just answer honestly try to give longer answers, using words like communication and team work etc..I didn't get invited to the experience day until after 4 days, so dontt worry if you havent got a reply the next day.

thank you.
Sky is a great place to work, yes it’s hard work and yes expectations are high, pay is very competitive and benefits are excellent. Winter months are a real test for some. With Sky you get out what you put in, work hard and you’ll reap the benefits of that, the help and support will be in place from the moment you start your career. The interview and recruitment process is designed to find out the real you and each phase will have an element of what the job will entail. Good luck
Just a little update I passed the assesment day 😁
Are they tough on weight limits? Im like 9 pound over the weight limit
JordanHookem09/12/2019 10:50

Better ease off those mince pies!

Yeah very strict, its to do with ladders etc.. They do a full medical on the day so no way to avoid it either.
MrSprkle09/12/2019 14:56

Yeah very strict, its to do with ladders etc.. They do a full medical on …Yeah very strict, its to do with ladders etc.. They do a full medical on the day so no way to avoid it either.

how you finding it? are you out installing yet?
jamstaruk197209/12/2019 20:21

how you finding it? are you out installing yet?

No not yet, I have to await a start date whcih wont be until the new year yet.

You couldn't lose 9lb?
deeky09/12/2019 22:41

You couldn't lose 9lb?

My experience day is on wednesday
JordanHookem09/12/2019 22:46

My experience day is on wednesday

Have you only just found out or have you been trying to get below the limit and just come up short?

What's the limit ?
ukmonkey09/12/2019 22:52

What's the limit ?

150KG.. whcih is 23 1/2 Stone.. for comparison I was 90KG and I think I was one of the heavier guys there that day.
MrSprkle09/12/2019 23:19

150KG.. whcih is 23 1/2 Stone.. for comparison I was 90KG and I think I …150KG.. whcih is 23 1/2 Stone.. for comparison I was 90KG and I think I was one of the heavier guys there that day.

Its gone down to 130KG now which is what caught me out
deeky09/12/2019 22:49

Have you only just found out or have you been trying to get below the …Have you only just found out or have you been trying to get below the limit and just come up short?

Just found this out
JordanHookem09/12/2019 23:28

Its gone down to 130KG now which is what caught me out

Ahh yeah sorry, I think I was looking at the wrong info..

9lb by Wednesday is pushing it..

Once I passed the assessment they took people out one by one to let them know if they got the job or not, what they actually did was take out the people who didn't make it and then everyone left in the room at the end they advised them they had passed.

You will do 3 tests, one is a team based test where you construct something out of Meccano and then get the other team to blind build it from descriptions.. and Visa Versa, this all about team work, delegation, leadership, communication etc.. speak up be seen but try to help others and take criticism in your stride.

2nd is a multiple choice on your strengths and weaknesses followed by a one to one interview to explain your answers, just use common sense be honest and above all be friendly.

3rd is a role play, where you are presented with an install and your ability to adjust you planning to the customers needs.

its all simple enough, speak up be seen and use your common sense..

But the reality is here at the end when your left int he room if you pass, they advise you that its not a guaranteed job

sure they want you to start with them but its conditional

you have to 100% pass the medical, pass a Credit Check (strictly no CCJs) as well as police and DVLA checks.

once all that passed there is a wait for up to 3 months before the y offer you a contract and then its conditional on you going away to train for a couple of weeks followed by a couple of months shadowing..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions