Sky signals an online alternative to its satellite service - BBC News

Found 25th JanEdited by:"m00head"
bbc.co.uk/new…603

Quote:
"Sky plans to make all its channels and content available online, giving customers the option of doing away with a satellite dish.

The pay TV company already offers some programming online on its Sky Go and Now TV services and through Sky boxes.

Sky said offering the option was a "major development" that would let it enter new markets.

It hopes that making its hundreds of channels more widely available will increase both revenue and profits.

Italy will be its first market to get all Sky channels online, followed by Austria, with the UK expected to follow later this year or in 2019.

Sky is not proposing to stop broadcasting by satellite. The move will allow customers who cannot have a dish or do not want one to get Sky, a spokesperson said. A Sky box will still be required.

The company's move is a response to greater competition from the likes of streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon."
Community Updates
18 Comments
I hope they give all their customers unlimited broadband.
I hope this is implemented soon, not that I really watch tv, just the more things that are reliant on the internet in the UK the more pressure there is to make it better, it's currently not as good as a few other countries in the European continent (obviously better than some but still). I would like to see it improved greatly though, things are already becoming reliant on a more stable connection and higher speeds than the average UK provides.
They announced this last year. Not sure when HUKD became a news site. Why just copy and paste the news and not have your own comments on it. We can all just look at the BBC site for the news if we want it.
mds125611 m ago

They announced this last year. Not sure when HUKD became a news site. Why …They announced this last year. Not sure when HUKD became a news site. Why just copy and paste the news and not have your own comments on it. We can all just look at the BBC site for the news if we want it.

We can look at the BBC site for opinion not news.
DKLS10 m ago

Ha, very true
DKLS1 h, 12 m ago

We can’t look at the BBC for us to debate opinion.
I winder how many redundancies that will be across Europe. Installers, maintenance, satellite manufacture, etc.
Banned
REMEMBER you still will need a BBC TV LICENCE to watch Kay Burley on Ruport Murdoch's TV network. £145 so cough up please ROLF HARRIS' pension won't pay itself!
👆 😴
@m00head Your headline says, "Sky signals the end of the satellite dish."

Then your contents state, "Sky is not proposing to stop broadcasting by satellite."

I know you copied and pasted from a source, surely you can see the quality fault: how can something be coming to an end when there there is no proposal to stop it (the dishes that are mounted)?
Winter is coming to an end but there's no proposal to stop that! There should be though.
Original Poster
splender1 h, 53 m ago

@m00head Your headline says, "Sky signals the end of the satellite …@m00head Your headline says, "Sky signals the end of the satellite dish."Then your contents state, "Sky is not proposing to stop broadcasting by satellite."I know you copied and pasted from a source, surely you can see the quality fault: how can something be coming to an end when there there is no proposal to stop it (the dishes that are mounted)?

Yeah, the headline should be "Sky signals the end of the current mandatory requirement to have a satellite dish installed" - but that is not as snappy.
m00head33 m ago

Yeah, the headline should be "Sky signals the end of the current mandatory …Yeah, the headline should be "Sky signals the end of the current mandatory requirement to have a satellite dish installed" - but that is not as snappy.

A concise one from me, "Sky signals an online alternative to its satellite service" (because there is no ending to any service, the headline is just plain stupid (and it was written by Chris Johnston BBC Business reporter). If you are going to pass on badly written news with content logical errors, though bad spelling and grammar could mostly be ignored as these do not necessarily spoil the truth or facts, you should try to correct the errors as there is an awful abundance of fake and badly reported news around.
Edited by: "splender" 25th Jan
splender2 h, 23 m ago

@m00head Your headline says, "Sky signals the end of the satellite …@m00head Your headline says, "Sky signals the end of the satellite dish."Then your contents state, "Sky is not proposing to stop broadcasting by satellite."I know you copied and pasted from a source, surely you can see the quality fault: how can something be coming to an end when there there is no proposal to stop it (the dishes that are mounted)?

If it's from the BBC, what do you expect?
Original Poster
splender5 m ago

A concise one from me, "Sky signals an online alternative to its satellite …A concise one from me, "Sky signals an online alternative to its satellite service" (because there is no ending to another, the headline is just plain stupid (and it was written by Chris Johnston BBC Business reporter). If you are going to pass on badly written news with content logical errors, though bad spelling and grammar could mostly be ignored as these do not necessarily spoil the truth or facts, you should try to correct the errors as there is an awful abundance of fake and badly reported news around.

Ok, I've changed the title of this thread to the one you suggested
m00head6 m ago

Ok, I've changed the title of this thread to the one you suggested

Great, that's very helpful, thanks, when I first read the headline, I got a fright with this fake news, as I just bought a new telly for Christmas with satellite input from my Sky dish.
Edited by: "splender" 25th Jan
Looking forward to this. I just hope the online platform is better and less restricted than what we currently have with Sky Go. How can a service not support Chrome/Firefox or even Edge? I hate having to use Internet Explorer and even then I usually get an error code telling me something is wrong.

Also, I wonder if current satellite subscribers will be given full access to the online platform without any extra charge. Can't see Sky offering both for one price, we'll probably be stuck with the current Sky Go.
this has been about for years due to the sale of kodi boxes and iptv that uses the boxes to a server and then shares the card keys.

NOTE its in 2019 and as a ex installer of sky and telewest/virgin i asked how is my sky q box going to record 6 channels if no dish...... answer, everything will be on demand so no need to record
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants