Groups

Sky Sports to replace numbered channels and slash prices in revamp - The Guardian

Sky to launch themed channels for football, golf and cricket, with cheapest package costing £18 a month.

theguardian.com/med…ket

Sky is scrapping its numbered sports channels and replacing them with themed offerings focused on specific sports – led by football, golf and cricket – as it combats falling viewer numbers with a branding revamp and a cheaper viewing package.

The retirement of Sky Sports 1,2,3,4 and 5 and the introduction of a new package two-thirds cheaper than current prices represents a major shakeup of the strategy that has made Rupert Murdoch’s Sky a pay-TV powerhouse.

The new offering will result in the launch of themed channels, like Sky’s existing dedicated Formula One channel, for its top-flight sports including football – which will get two channels – golf and cricket. A new channel, Sky Sports Arena, will host other content including rugby and tennis.

A key part of the strategy is that it will let Sky entice new pay-TV subscribers reluctant to fork out up to £49.50 for its cheapest sports package. The new strategy will allow Sky to charge £18 for its cheapest package – although the whole Sky Sports bundle will remain a costly option.

16 Comments

This way they will really see what people are subscribing to and decide what sports to drop. Football channel will still remain a fortune

bradoneill

This way they will really see what people are subscribing to and decide … This way they will really see what people are subscribing to and decide what sports to drop. Football channel will still remain a fortune

yup, that's the idea. it will help them to see certain sports popularity and then help them to value it when it comes to bidding. but, if that means people can save money because they only sub to sports channels they want as opposed to a all in one package, then can only be a good thing.

bradoneill

This way they will really see what people are subscribing to and decide … This way they will really see what people are subscribing to and decide what sports to drop. Football channel will still remain a fortune

But they can do that anyway by seeing what people watch and when? Hence viewer ratings etc

bradoneill

The prices will be the same for the sport channel "bundles", irrespective on what sport channel is in 'what' bundle. Your theory of "football channel will still remain a fortune" isn't the slightest bit accurate, as it'll be cheaper compared to subscribing to the whole entire sport bundle altogether. Thus "football channel" will be cheaper to watch just football

A step closer to club season passes. Wonder how many years it'll be before I can stop using dodgy streams in order to see all of my favourite team's games live.

@ 5un60po. If you think they will reduce the cost of football only channel subscription you are on a different planet. 4.2 billion pounds and you think a reduction is on the way. Not in this lifetime. If you only want to watch golf you will be in for a saving!

The BBC are getting 100 hours of (not) cricket from 2020
    euronews.com/201…bbc

theguardian.com/spo…020

hope you lot are right and the 'proper' cricket becomes cheaper
    rather than this awful soccerball stuff

Wonder if this will be open to virgin media customers

Do people really think Sky are going to make sports cheaper for us mug punters? ....?..?.

Bo0td4 h, 36 m ago

A step closer to club season passes. Wonder how many years it'll be before …A step closer to club season passes. Wonder how many years it'll be before I can stop using dodgy streams in order to see all of my favourite team's games live.

I get to watch all of my teams games in HD, but again using streams from America. I would be much happier to paty the money to my club for this.

I would happily pay £10 - £15 per month for a live golf channel. Unfortunately Sky Sports 4 isn't available on BT TV so I miss out.
    Have a friends password for Sky Go at work though which helps

' £49.50 for its cheapest sports package'

Wtf!

Problem is they rotate the football through about 4 different channels. I have to say their prices are daylight robbery pushing people I know to illegal streams, drop everything except football, cricket and golf and charge £15 a month

barnehurst

Problem is they rotate the football through about 4 different channels. I … Problem is they rotate the football through about 4 different channels. I have to say their prices are daylight robbery pushing people I know to illegal streams, drop everything except football, cricket and golf and charge £15 a month

And this announcement addresses your concerns that football is being shown through 4 different channels. No longer.

Original Poster

Sky Sports dedicated sport channels now from £18.00 - HotUKDeals
    hotukdeals.com/dea…742

Bo0td30th Jun

A step closer to club season passes. Wonder how many years it'll be before …A step closer to club season passes. Wonder how many years it'll be before I can stop using dodgy streams in order to see all of my favourite team's games live.

Good question. I think the clubs themselves will start doing it in house. All home games streamed on their own sites, season pass or individual games (so away fans can see their matches too) Movie rental prices per game, money going straight to the clubs themselves.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831328
      2. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism813
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846228
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6561254

See more discussions