SKY suggesting buying Sky+ box from ebay!!

Called sky today to get some info about sky+ and I was told that they don't sell Sky+ box anymore and that I could either get a SKY HD+ box from them or go on ebay and buy the box there and install it myself ! They will then register my viewing card to the box.

Surprised me as I thought these boxes were quite closely regulated.

Thought will share this with people here.

20 Comments

I think with Sky this may be possible as their encryption is rock-solid so difficult to mess about with. I know of people using the Dreamboxes with Sky as alternative receivers and they have no problem. Difference between Sky and Virgin is with Sky you own the hardware, but Virgin is essentially on an ongoing rental basis.

Yeah, get sky hd, unless you got some kind of a clockwork telly.

The " box " isn't closely regulated, the card is.;-)

I purchased my Sky+ box from Satbuyer and fitted it myself. I got an ]install kit from another place to run a second feed which i just fitted alongside the existing one.

I've since put up a second larger dish with an octo lnb I got from ebay and the only difficult part of that was finding the satellite.

Supermod

I do have a spare Sky+ box that I would be happy to sell. If you are interested we can follow the correct channels on the site and take it from there.

I had it for multi-room and just no longer need it. Only been used for about 4 months.

Get friendy with a sky installation engineer, they're told to dispose of the original sky + boxes when people upgrade to HD...

Banned

Flodd;8220373

Get friendy with a sky installation engineer, they're told to dispose of … Get friendy with a sky installation engineer, they're told to dispose of the original sky + boxes when people upgrade to HD...

really i thought they didn't take anything away with then

Banned

Flodd;8220373

Get friendy with a sky installation engineer, they're told to dispose of … Get friendy with a sky installation engineer, they're told to dispose of the original sky + boxes when people upgrade to HD...

So much wrong with this post!

I LOL'd at "engineer" and then the suggestion the installers were instructed to steal, not to mention the thought that sky want to give out more new equipment!

Flodd;8220373

They are told to leave them with the customer, they belong to the customer, not Sky.

Beat me to it Guv.;-)

Banned

guv;8220424

So much wrong with this post!I LOL'd at "engineer" and then the … So much wrong with this post!I LOL'd at "engineer" and then the suggestion the installers were instructed to steal, not to mention the thought that sky want to give out more new equipment!

Inactive;8220428

They are told to leave them with the customer, they belong to the … They are told to leave them with the customer, they belong to the customer, not Sky.

yep to the above

Hi op
i was told rather much the same thing last week when i contacted them about multiroom but they told me to try currys for some strange reason. Sky do not supply any type of box except the hd boxes now so if you want multiroom you have to pay £20 extra a month £10 for hd subsciption and £10 multiroom subscription.

They are still saying u can get a sky+ box( not hd ) on the sky.com website.

kiraangel;8221709

They are still saying u can get a sky+ box( not hd ) on the sky.com … They are still saying u can get a sky+ box( not hd ) on the sky.com website.

from what im told in reality you get the hd box with recording feature only!

unless you upgrade to hd.

do still have to pay the £10 HD SUBSCRIPTION

kiraangel;8221768

i dont think so!

Original Poster

kiraangel;8221768

kronas;8221792

i dont think so!

no £10 subscription if u want the hd+ box without hd channels, But.. the box is £99 + £59 for installation, otherwise if u get the hd package (£10/mth) the box is free...

Spoke to sky today

Original Poster

how much r willing to sell it for? postage?

You can fit an HD box and get sky to activate it as a Sky+ box but the person on the phone will do their best to get you to take out an HD sub.

I think if you don't take the HD sub you still get BBC-HD and CH4-HD but i'm not 100% on that.

guv;8220424

So much wrong with this post!I LOL'd at "engineer" and then the … So much wrong with this post!I LOL'd at "engineer" and then the suggestion the installers were instructed to steal, not to mention the thought that sky want to give out more new equipment!

Inactive;8220428

They are told to leave them with the customer, they belong to the … They are told to leave them with the customer, they belong to the customer, not Sky.

Inactive;8220435

Beat me to it Guv.;-)

fragaliciousbob;8220440

yep to the above

Wonder why my mates got a van full of them then? never had him down as a master criminal... oh and Guv, middle aged men shouldn't "LOL" at anything...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424214487
    2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553777
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047090
    4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826351

See more discussions