Expired

Sky taking the pee with Sky Go Extra

Found 27th Jan 2013
Got a letter through from sky yesterday to say that they will be charging an extra £5 a month for sky go extra which is the new service that they are bringing in to replace sky go which allows download to your pc.

Currently sky go allows streaming as well as download to pc but this download facility will stop and will only be available on the new Sky Go Extra for an extra £5 pm. The current Sky go will then only allow streaming.

I am thinking of calling their bluff and threaten to leave if they are going to charge me this extra £5 pm.

Are there any other sites that allow movie download to your pc? BBC iplayer does now but any rental sites that allow download?

37 Comments

Takes a full sub up to around £80? Nearly £1000 a year...

Broken Britain... My ****!

When's this starting?

I was looking at this on friday funnily enough. Therre are 2 versions SKY GO which is Free and SKY Go Extra, for which the fee is £5.

The reason it is £5 extra ( pardon the pun) is because you can download movies etc.

sky.com/sho…go/

I'll be cancelling it too if they start charging £5!

its only £5 if you use extra eg the download and the extra 2 devices
http://djnaff.com/pics/53826ba9b89d752aac1f1c8909fe66b6.JPG
Edited by: "djnaff" 27th Jan 2013

I didn't think it was compulsory, especially as there will be people that don't use sky go

Banned

Sky Go = Free
Sky Go Extra = £5pm

So no change to the current service

dimebars

Sky Go = FreeSky Go Extra = £5pmSo no change to the current service

I disagree, at present you can download to your pc/laptop to watch at a later date or when you have no connection ie a train journey. Extra removes this feature and wants to charge you a fiver a month for it (plus 2 additional devices and the ability to download to more devices no just pc/laptop).

Actually, I'd pay a fiver to have 1 of someone's extra devices if they have a sports n movies package
Edited by: "DudeyGeeza" 27th Jan 2013

The reality of having a TV service with no competition, they can charge what they like and people will pay it

I bet you wont be able to pay £5 for go extra and get movies without a movie subscription.

Aeschylus

The reality of having a TV service with no competition, they can charge … The reality of having a TV service with no competition, they can charge what they like and people will pay it

Unfortunately this is the problem.

aircanman

I bet you wont be able to pay £5 for go extra and get movies without a … I bet you wont be able to pay £5 for go extra and get movies without a movie subscription.

Nope it's still only playback for the package u have

Aeschylus

The reality of having a TV service with no competition, they can charge … The reality of having a TV service with no competition, they can charge what they like and people will pay it

Hopefully BT's foray into the pay sports market taking ESPN's 38 matches next year as well as European footy and rugby, may change things. Sky's wholesale prices are crazy, virgin and BT sell them at around cost and look what you pay.
Edited by: "Paddy_o_furniture" 27th Jan 2013

DudeyGeeza

Nope it's still only playback for the package u have

Which is sick, ITV and BBC, Channel 5 and 4 have provided this service at their own cost for nothing, but Sky have basically said no, we want to charge for it. Why don't they just put ads on there and make it free?

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture

I disagree, at present you can download to your pc/laptop to watch at a … I disagree, at present you can download to your pc/laptop to watch at a later date or when you have no connection ie a train journey. Extra removes this feature and wants to charge you a fiver a month for it (plus 2 additional devices and the ability to download to more devices no just pc/laptop).

^^^ THIS. I use skygo to download movies to my laptop to watch on the train where there are no wifi signal or signal breaks. I also download onto laptop to take on holiday abroad to watch where i have no wifi.

This is all part of my package cost at the moment but I will have to pay the extra £5 pm for this privilege in future. It is the reason I choose sky over netflix USA or lovefilm at the moment as these two are better value than sky movies any day of the week.

Original Poster

baxterboy

When's this starting?

i think immediately but they are giving current customers 3 free months' trial out of their great generosity. so you will be charged £5pm from 21.4.2013 if you want to continue to use the download facility.

can you currently download on sky go? if so then they are taking this part of the service away and putting it into sky go plus at an extra cost of £5 i think this is what op is ****ed about
Edited by: "larrylightweight" 27th Jan 2013

mutley1

i think immediately but they are giving current customers 3 free months' … i think immediately but they are giving current customers 3 free months' trial out of their great generosity. so you will be charged £5pm from 21.4.2013 if you want to continue to use the download facility.

There is a free trial but only 2 months this is from the sky site,

Sky Go Extra Offer: Sky Go Extra available free for Sky TV customers for the first two months. After two months you will continue to receive Sky Go Extra at £5pm extra unless you call us to cancel at least 31 days before the end of the two month period. Offer ends 31 March 2013.

This is why footballers are on such high salaries!!! Sky continuing to rinse their already rinsed subscribers (I know no one is forced to pay ...). Its a good opportunity to call up, get put through to 'retentions', express disappointment and get money off your monthly bill.

So is the extra 2 devices on top of the 2 devices you can already have?

wagster

So is the extra 2 devices on top of the 2 devices you can already have?

Yes, but another case of skying charging you for something that used to be free. Prior to skygo when it was anytime you could have 6 devices registered to an account.

Aeschylus

While I agree with that, regarding sport, if different providers have it all then some folk will have to pay more to watch it all. Doesn't bother me like, getting rid once my year is up, dreamboxing it.

Original Poster

we are paying £40pm for sky tv which includes sky sports and free sky movies as i rang up to cancel sky sports so they said that they will give me sky movies for free.

my in-laws are pay £85pm for the same package. at these extortionate prices for long standing customers, i think it is a bit of a cheek to take a service away and ask that we pay extra for what had been free.

Yes card sharing seems the way forward, though if everyone jumped on that bandwagon I'm sure sky would invest in more ways to prevent it somehow... But till then....

DudeyGeeza

Yes card sharing seems the way forward, though if everyone jumped on that … Yes card sharing seems the way forward, though if everyone jumped on that bandwagon I'm sure sky would invest in more ways to prevent it somehow... But till then....

Soon to be another pirating method that is to bite the dust.
New ECM methods that are in testing will put an end to CS.
Until the pirates find another way.

Its rubbish I took it out as family were going away hubby wanted to watch cup final 2 kids a different programme each on laptop's tabs could they NO because for the fiver you can still only stream live to 2 devices. The resulting argument wasn't a pretty site.

Floorahorse

Its rubbish I took it out as family were going away hubby wanted to watch … Its rubbish I took it out as family were going away hubby wanted to watch cup final 2 kids a different programme each on laptop's tabs could they NO because for the fiver you can still only stream live to 2 devices. The resulting argument wasn't a pretty site.

I hope you put the kids in their place.

Nobody pay it.

Then they won't be able to charge for it, as nobody will pay it.

Simple.

Original Poster

unreality

Nobody pay it.Then they won't be able to charge for it, as nobody will … Nobody pay it.Then they won't be able to charge for it, as nobody will pay it.Simple.

but then you could say this about any services. it's not that simple.

Spent the best part of my evening arguing with Sky about this and they would not budge an inch. Tomorrow they will get formal complaint and letter to MD. Ah yes, broadband and phone switching back to BT and canceling movie package to start using Netflix , Apple TV and Lovefilm, which I already have. I hope the 5 pounds and arrogant customer service was worth losing my business. It is the only way these companies will understand the customer is always right and we have choice!!!!

Chelseaboy70

Spent the best part of my evening arguing with Sky about this and they … Spent the best part of my evening arguing with Sky about this and they would not budge an inch. Tomorrow they will get formal complaint and letter to MD. Ah yes, broadband and phone switching back to BT and canceling movie package to start using Netflix , Apple TV and Lovefilm, which I already have. I hope the 5 pounds and arrogant customer service was worth losing my business. It is the only way these companies will understand the customer is always right and we have choice!!!!

On that point, I cancelled my sky subscription the other day as 12 months is about to be up - it will jump from £35/month to over £70/month. They were not interested in the slightest at offering me any deal whatsoever. They just cancelled it & said I would get something through the post to confirm that, which I have received. Not a single offer/deal of any sort offered.
I had expected they would try to offer something, which I would still say no too as it's still too much in my opinion, but it seems they are not so keen on handing out cheaper deals recently.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 25th Mar 2013

Original Poster

Firefly1

On that point, I cancelled my sky subscription the other day as 12 months … On that point, I cancelled my sky subscription the other day as 12 months is about to be up - it will jump from £35/month to over £70/month. They were not interested in the slightest at offering me any deal whatsoever. They just cancelled it & said I would get something through the post to confirm that, which I have received. Not a single offer/deal of any sort offered.I had expected they would try to offer something, which I would still say no too as it's still too much in my opinion, but it seems they are not so keen on handing out cheaper deals recently.

they normally make offers after you have left them for a few months as the people who try to get you back are not the same people that answer the phone when you call to cancel.

I still can't believe they have the cheek to charge for HD - a standard that is already well overdue.

Sky go extra is free if you have multi room.

Just get Sky's unlimited broadband and download Sky shows from PirateBay

~thankssky

Original Poster

I went for the £2.50pm for 6 months offer that was flagged up on here.
Post a comment
@
    Text