Sky to apparently stop charging for hd channels from June 1st 2016 (saving of £6pm)

Found 6th May 2016
Yesterday I took out the 50% off offer with sky that was on my account, But when they put it through they put on an extra multiscreen which proved difficult to remove.... As a result I had a manager on the phone trying to sort it all out who also confirmed that from June 1st they are stopping charging for hd, so even though they've increased their prices recently, if you have hd your payment should be dropping from Junes bill. First I've heard of it anywhere (surprised they're not shouting it from the rooftops) but it seems to be reflected in my upcoming costs section of my account so looks like it's true. He Said everyone's account should just automatically deduct it when June comes. I've always thought hd should be free anyway but I'm happy with the extra savings, just thought it may be of interest to some people as it should save £6 a month (if you pay the full cost for hd) . Hopefully I've put this in the correct section.
Community Updates
25 Comments
heat add thanks op
Do people still pay?! Can't say I notice the difference
I'm pretty sure that isn't true as 1st June the price goes up 75p
niconelove

I'm pretty sure that isn't true as 1st June the price goes up 75p

We'll that's what they said.... Looking on my accounts upcoming costs section. There is no longer any mention of hd costs for next month (like there currently are for this month). As I say it should automatically change for people in June (so he said) but my upcoming costs may have been forced through now due to the difficulties they had sorting out my deal as my payment section was a real mess due to the extra multiscreen etc, but it seems all sorted now and is the reduced price the manager quoted. I've recorded the phone call so should try and find a way to upload it somewhere as proof
Very unlikely but good if the info is correct
my next three up coming months all still have HD on them
the letter i received from sky about my price increase did say that hd for sky movies is going to be free later this year

Well, mine's actually going up by £6 rather than down by £6 on 1st June. Full breakdown :-

Here at Sky, we want you to enjoy every side-splitting, spine-tingling … Here at Sky, we want you to enjoy every side-splitting, spine-tingling and nail-biting moment of TV, no matter how you choose to watch it.So as well as letting you know your subscription will increase by £6.00 on 1st June 2016 and reflects the total amount of the price changes listed below, we wanted to remind you about just some of the brilliant entertainment and features you can make the most of with your Sky TV.Your price changes per month The Family Bundle + £3.00 Sky Sports & Sky Movies+ £1.50 HD Pack *+ £0.75 Multiscreen+ £0.75* Description on your bill will change to Sky Sports HD Pack from 01 June 2016, if you added this pack after 16 April 2013

niconelove

my next three up coming months all still have HD on them

Mine was too until they updated my account today after I spoke to them yesterday.... It Will probably happen for everyone when June 1st comes along
andywedge

Well, mine's actually going up by £6 rather than down by £6 on 1st June. F … Well, mine's actually going up by £6 rather than down by £6 on 1st June. Full breakdown :-

Well Yeah I know the prices have gone up in general but you'll probably find they take off the sport and movie hd fee when June comes so it may drop a bit from the £6 increase they've currently stated. Well i hope so anyway, either that or the manager was telling porkies but still somehow managed to put it on my account. Like I say, in this day and age hd channels should be the norm and should be free anyway
Thanks for the info
mattgrant

You might need to upgrade ya telly to see the difference.

http://www.ways2gogreenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/old-TV.jpg
you have a colour TV how the other 99% live!!!
mattgrant

​must have crap TV
Does this mean a non-sub box/card could view hd channels?
I've posted in the sky twitter page asking the question. I'll reply here when they get back to me.
From how I read AndyWedge bill it's possible that they are "including" HD with Sky movies but are still going to charge for Sky Sports HD which is going up by 75p in June. That seems a bit of a con really. But then again it's the whole of Sky a bit of a con.
I do wonder if sky will then unlock all the HD channels but then just keep the sport HD as a premium. Would be nice to get the likes of 5HD at no extra cost.
The cost of £6 is only for movies and sport, the other HD channels are free as part of the package that gets the box sets.
OK, I have clarification.
See below and thanks for the likes..

..."From 1 June 2016, Sky Movies customers will be able to watch 11 Sky Movies channels and get unlimited access to over 1,000 movies on demand, in stunning HD included within your Sky Movies subscription*.

*Sky Movies is available in HD without the need for a separate HD subscription. Requires compatible Sky box...."

..."To watch Sky Sports in HD, you’ll also need the HD Pack*.

*This will be renamed to Sky Sports HD Pack from 1 June"....

Edited by: "Chiptivo" 9th May 2016

I do wonder if sky will then unlock all the HD channels but then just … I do wonder if sky will then unlock all the HD channels but then just keep the sport HD as a premium. Would be nice to get the likes of 5HD at no extra cost.

Good news - 5 HD went free to air a few days ago. It is now completely free of charge on Sky, Freeview and Freesat. No subscription required.
mattgrant

https://themaresnest.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/specsavers.jpg
mattgrant

I've never heard of a woman being called matt.
kos1c

I've posted in the sky twitter page asking the question. I'll reply here … I've posted in the sky twitter page asking the question. I'll reply here when they get back to me.

​Take a look at @SkyHelpTeam's Tweet: https://twitter.com/SkyHelpTeam/status/729327496076926977?s=09

Sky team agent said his heard nothing about it.
Chiptivo

OK, I have clarification.See below and thanks for the likes....."From 1 … OK, I have clarification.See below and thanks for the likes....."From 1 June 2016, Sky Movies customers will be able to watch 11 Sky Movies channels and get unlimited access to over 1,000 movies on demand, in stunning HD included within your Sky Movies subscription*.*Sky Movies is available in HD without the need for a separate HD subscription. Requires compatible Sky box...."..."To watch Sky Sports in HD, you’ll also need the HD Pack*.*This will be renamed to Sky Sports HD Pack from 1 June"....

Would that movies one be covered for the now tv boxes?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants