Sky TV - Cutting the Cable

Posted 4th Feb
What happens to the sky plus box if you cancel your TV subscription? We hardly watch anything on sky channels so was thinking of just using the box for freeview and getting a firestick 4K (if a deal ever comes up)

Is it still operational after you cancel?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

22 Comments
Yes all freeview channels will still be available for you to watch. That’s if they don’t ask for the box back xx
Edited by: "parisp" 4th Feb
parisp04/02/2020 23:27

Yes all freeview channels will still be available for you to watch. That’s …Yes all freeview channels will still be available for you to watch. That’s if they don’t ask for the box back xx

Good stuff can you still record freeview?
TaxFather04/02/2020 23:29

Good stuff can you still record freeview?

No you will no longer be able to record. Just simply watch the basic free channels x
You can keep the sky box if you have been with them for a minimum of 18 months then you own it
I did this in November. Was actually really surprised by how much was still available to watch. Naturally none of the Sky branded channels but there is considerable more than I thought there would be.

No recording works, you cant record, pause, rewind or use the restart program from beginning function. It basically becomes a receiver for the one signal you now get.

Also, a lot of the catchup services wont work either as they require the program to download to the HD box before playing.

I now only watch the New channels live and sometimes the odd music channel to have on in the background.

I purchased a Roku 4k stick as its the most versatile with regards to the apps you can get for it. Unless you want to custom load software on it or mess around with the os on them then i highly recommend a Roku.
Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 4th Feb
If you want to record, get a Humax Freesat Recorder HDR-1100S integrated on demand services included
esar05/02/2020 02:20

If you want to record, get a Humax Freesat Recorder HDR-1100S integrated …If you want to record, get a Humax Freesat Recorder HDR-1100S integrated on demand services included

Are the recordings encypted on the HD or can they be removed?
If you want to record or watch programmes on your planner after you have cancelled then Sky will charge £10 per month for this.
jasee05/02/2020 02:56

Are the recordings encypted on the HD or can they be removed?

Can't say, but would assume so, copyright and all that jazz!
winzzz05/02/2020 07:53

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-ultra-hd-with-alexa-voice-remote-streaming-media-player-for-3499stick-2499-at-amazon-uk-3401313

Ha brilliant. Argos are price matching and I had some vouchers left over for Christmas
You won't get Freeview but a version of Freesat and if you leave the card in Freesat from Sky, adds about five FTV channels.
Humax freesat as already stated if you want & need a disc drive for multiple watch & record programming.
Mr_Gus05/02/2020 10:23

Humax freesat as already stated if you want & need a disc drive for …Humax freesat as already stated if you want & need a disc drive for multiple watch & record programming.

The Humax boxes are getting difficult to source - as they are no longer made. Freesat really need to get the 3rd Gen boxes out.
Wow Alg, did they go down the pan?
Mr_Gus05/02/2020 10:23

Humax freesat as already stated if you want & need a disc drive for …Humax freesat as already stated if you want & need a disc drive for multiple watch & record programming.

My Sony Bravia TV can already record off freeview (I set it up last night) so all good on that front. It’s just the technophobe other half adjusting to something new . The fire stick should sort most of that out.

One other question I assume you still have access to sky store purchases? We have a few films bought on sky store so would be good to be able to still view them. Would be great if that could be done on the firestick.
Mr_Gus05/02/2020 10:40

Wow Alg, did they go down the pan?

No - Freesat have a contract with a company called Arris to produce the new boxes. Humax decided that they would stop making them. So if you can find a Humax, it'll be fine, but they stopped making them last October, according to reports.

In the meantime, the new boxes haven't appeared. But you can still get the non-recording Manhattan device, which is actually a decent receiver, even if it doesn't do catch up, live pause, etc.
Ah, thanks for that, Humax were workhorses of the early freesat era, ours still going strong.

our first foray was a manhatten for our then babies room it glitched alot due to poor software & was questionable back then.
Mr_Gus05/02/2020 11:16

Ah, thanks for that, Humax were workhorses of the early freesat era, ours …Ah, thanks for that, Humax were workhorses of the early freesat era, ours still going strong.our first foray was a manhatten for our then babies room it glitched alot due to poor software & was questionable back then.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any real news on the new boxes - Freesat just say coming soon, and I found one picture on a random forum, but nothing firm. They were due to be out in 2019...

Having said that, just went and had another look -

avforums.com/thr…e-5 says:

"I just went on the FreeSat website and did a live chat with a very helpful guy called Craig and asked a number of questions.

He confirmed:
1. The boxes will be released by the end of Feb.
2. HDD sizes will be 500Gb, 1Tb or 2Tb.
3. Prices will be ~£80 for the on demand box and between £149-£249 for the PVRs (depending on the HDD size you want).
4. The boxes will work with both standard or wideband LNBs.
5. If connected to a wideband LNB you will be able to record up to 4 channels (or 3 whilst watching another)."
Edited by: "alg" 5th Feb
nannafish05/02/2020 06:34

If you want to record or watch programmes on your planner after you have …If you want to record or watch programmes on your planner after you have cancelled then Sky will charge £10 per month for this.

I understand that will only be able to record/view freeview channels.
landros105/02/2020 19:33

I understand that will only be able to record/view freeview channels. …I understand that will only be able to record/view freeview channels.

Not freeview - Freesat by Sky channels. They're not quite the same thing.
alg05/02/2020 19:52

Not freeview - Freesat by Sky channels. They're not quite the same thing.

I meant to say free to air.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants