Sky tv - going internet only?

Found 2nd Jan
Hi I tried to find this comment from another thread but could not find it but pretty sure I read that as of this year sky is going dish free and becoming only an internet service- have I made that up or did I actually read this? Thanks.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
13 Comments
Kind of, I heard from this year they will offer sky over internet. But still have both options
I didn’t think this was being implemented this year. I know you can get internet only sky tv already but thought this would be a choice until such times as the rural broadband roll out is complete.
Think it's in the pipeline... about time in all honesty although I still don't think it's a worthwhile service. Very rare that I watch normal TV and i'm sure that many households are the same.
some people have very poor broadband speeds where they live so i would guess sky would want to keep the satellite dish option. we get decent speed for internet streaming at home but sometimes it does freeze and buffer, especially during busy periods when the broadband speed is throttled by our sky broadband.
they didnt say they would offer internet only, just that they were looking into an internet service after getting hammered by netflix and amazon, it was thought by the experts that it would be an expansion of nowtv. At the moment sky arent helping themselves as they and virgin are the only service who want people to sign up to new 18 months contacts when you negotiate new deals so they arent going to be able to keep customers while the competition allow monthly subscriptions.
eslick1 h, 56 m ago

they didnt say they would offer internet only, just that they were looking …they didnt say they would offer internet only, just that they were looking into an internet service after getting hammered by netflix and amazon, it was thought by the experts that it would be an expansion of nowtv. At the moment sky arent helping themselves as they and virgin are the only service who want people to sign up to new 18 months contacts when you negotiate new deals so they arent going to be able to keep customers while the competition allow monthly subscriptions.

I don’t think they are helping themselves with their pricing. Both Virgin and sky are also slow at reacting to the fact that people no longer want live tv, keep putting their prices up, and all people want is content on demand, not live tv full of adverts. I know sky owns nowtv but the sky service being separate is just daft.

I used to have phone, BB and tv through Virgin. I now have BB only and vonage for landline (voip) and nowtv, Netflix and prime. It probably works out around the same cost as before but get a lot more choice for my
Money!!
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 2nd Jan
cmdr_elito21 m ago

I don’t think they are helping themselves with their pricing. Both Virgin a …I don’t think they are helping themselves with their pricing. Both Virgin and sky are also slow at reacting to the fact that people no longer want live tv, keep putting their prices up, and all people want is content on demand, not live tv full of adverts. I know sky owns nowtv but the sky service being separate is just daft.I used to have phone, BB and tv through Virgin. I now have BB only and vonage for landline (voip) and nowtv, Netflix and prime. It probably works out around the same cost as before but get a lot more choice for myMoney!!

To be fair they don’t do too bad despite the consistent rising cost of football rights, their revenue rises constantly year on year
Dannyrobbo7 m ago

To be fair they don’t do too bad despite the consistent rising cost of f …To be fair they don’t do too bad despite the consistent rising cost of football rights, their revenue rises constantly year on year

That’s largely because of the increases in cost of tv for businesses and increases in charges for residential services despite falling costs (except football).

There has been a fair bit of surveys out about changing tv habits, you gov, ipsos and both Virgin and sky directly too so they see the writing is on the wall!!
cmdr_elito7 m ago

That’s largely because of the increases in cost of tv for businesses and i …That’s largely because of the increases in cost of tv for businesses and increases in charges for residential services despite falling costs (except football). There has been a fair bit of surveys out about changing tv habits, you gov, ipsos and both Virgin and sky directly too so they see the writing is on the wall!!

Maybe so but their cancellation rate didn’t really change drastically in the years since Netflix despite the price rises too
Dannyrobbo9 m ago

Maybe so but their cancellation rate didn’t really change drastically in t …Maybe so but their cancellation rate didn’t really change drastically in the years since Netflix despite the price rises too

I think it’s starting to bite now though. Have never seen so many questions about nowtv/sky/Virgin and cheaper alternatives.
cmdr_elito36 m ago

I think it’s starting to bite now though. Have never seen so many q …I think it’s starting to bite now though. Have never seen so many questions about nowtv/sky/Virgin and cheaper alternatives.

I just can’t see it they own the whole tv market (and media in general), Netflix and the rest are so lacking in decent content, now tv is the closest as it offers both live and box sets and is quite competitive so I guess sky will just roll that out further to capture what they lose.

with the Disney deal 21st century fox could starve Netflix and the rest of any content overnight, which should be interesting.

its pretty clear what makes sky the most money though and that’s always going to have to be live regardless however it’s delivered.
Dannyrobbo6 h, 30 m ago

I just can’t see it they own the whole tv market (and media in general), N …I just can’t see it they own the whole tv market (and media in general), Netflix and the rest are so lacking in decent content, now tv is the closest as it offers both live and box sets and is quite competitive so I guess sky will just roll that out further to capture what they lose.with the Disney deal 21st century fox could starve Netflix and the rest of any content overnight, which should be interesting.its pretty clear what makes sky the most money though and that’s always going to have to be live regardless however it’s delivered.

I think the sport being live is a very important revenue stream for them and they will keep that going. Other content is better through nowtv (which I know is owned by sky anyway) but what I was getting at is the traditional model of contracts and dishes/hard installs is going to go the way of the dodo over time.
It will be a Loooong time before (if) they decide to switch off any Satellite Broadcasting Service.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants