Sky TV help please

I can't get the box to switch on, have tried all it suggests in the manual but I'm stuck with an amber light and thats all. please make yr help as simple ass possible as I'm embarrassingly crap at techie stuff, that said I have checked all the cables are in properly and have tried turning it off at the mains and back on again. Only had the booming thing a week grrrr

38 Comments

Try switching it off at the mains, and then switching it back on with the 'back up' button held down - that should reset the box :thumbsup:

Original Poster

midlandscomics;8927197

Try switching it off at the mains, and then switching it back on with the … Try switching it off at the mains, and then switching it back on with the 'back up' button held down - that should reset the box :thumbsup:

will give it a go :thumbsup:

hasn't worked :-(

when you turn it off at mains
leave it off for five mins before turning elc back on

robertkay;8927365

when you turn it off at mainsleave it off for five mins before turning … when you turn it off at mainsleave it off for five mins before turning elc back on

yep can take ages for a sky box to reset after switched of at mains but usually comes good

What type of box is it? If it doesn't come on after 5 minutes, switch off at the wall, hold the backup button, switch back on and wait for 4 lights to come on. Then let go, wait until it goes back into standby, wait a further 5 minutes and try switching it back on.

If this doesn't work and it's a Sky+ or Sky+HD box, switch off at wall, hold left and right on the front of the box, switch back on, let go when the recording circle lights up then press select twice. This will REMOVE ALL RECORDINGS but will 99 times out of 100 fix the issue.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

robertkay;8927365

when you turn it off at mainsleave it off for five mins before turning … when you turn it off at mainsleave it off for five mins before turning elc back on

jamstaruk1972;8927372

yep can take ages for a sky box to reset after switched of at mains but … yep can take ages for a sky box to reset after switched of at mains but usually comes good

right its off now shall leave it a little while, any reason this has happened? its only a week old

Original Poster

Robotochan;8927420

What type of box is it? If it doesn't come on after 5 minutes, switch off … What type of box is it? If it doesn't come on after 5 minutes, switch off at the wall, hold the backup button, switch back on and wait for 4 lights to come on. Then let go, wait until it goes back into standby, wait a further 5 minutes and try switching it back on.If this doesn't work and it's a Sky+ or Sky+HD box, switch off at wall, hold left and right on the front of the box, switch back on, let go when the recording circle lights up then press select twice. This will REMOVE ALL RECORDINGS but will 99 times out of 100 fix the issue.Good Luck! :thumbsup:

its a sky+HD box, will give this a go too, thanks

Original Poster

ahhhhh, nothing!

ring sky you may need to update the box:)

Original Poster

missismop;8927632

ring sky you may need to update the box:)

its a week old :?

michelleleemoo;8927643

its a week old :?

if there has been a update it does not matter

Original Poster

missismop;8927658

if there has been a update it does not matter

that's ridiculous :roll:, is this a common occurrence then?

michelleleemoo;8927668

that's ridiculous :roll:, is this a common occurrence then?

it can be:)

Banned

the reset procedure you followed wasnt quite right

turn off the power for 30 seconds

hold and dont let go of the backup button

turn on the power

keep hold of the backup button till all the lights on the front come on, then on the tv it will say updating box, and takes 20 minutes

Original Poster

missismop;8927676

it can be:)

thanks, will have to ring them tomorrow :thumbsup::thumbsup:

thanks everyone for their input, really appreciate it. Will update tomorrow

Original Poster

jubbyme;8927682

the reset procedure you followed wasnt quite rightturn off the power for … the reset procedure you followed wasnt quite rightturn off the power for 30 secondshold and dont let go of the backup buttonturn on the powerkeep hold of the backup button till all the lights on the front come on, then on the tv it will say updating box, and takes 20 minutes

have tried this and no lights coming on

jubbyme;8927682

the reset procedure you followed wasnt quite rightturn off the power for … the reset procedure you followed wasnt quite rightturn off the power for 30 secondshold and dont let go of the backup buttonturn on the powerkeep hold of the backup button till all the lights on the front come on, then on the tv it will say updating box, and takes 20 minutes

thats exactly what sky tell you to do

good luck:thumbsup:

Banned

michelleleemoo;8927700

have tried this and no lights coming on

keep hold of the backup button, this step can take a whole minute
initially no lights come on, but keep holding, and then they all do

please feed back if you did this

Original Poster

jubbyme;8927742

keep hold of the backup button, this step can take a whole minute

still nothing

Banned

michelleleemoo;8927766

still nothing

oh dear, then it's failed, sky support will make you do it all again, but seems you have a bad box,

its under a years guarantee, but the delay getting one will be a pain
nothing you did to it, it failed as it was faulty

Original Poster

jubbyme;8927783

oh dear, then it's failed, sky support will make you do it all again, but … oh dear, then it's failed, sky support will make you do it all again, but seems you have a bad box, its under a years guarantee, but the delay getting one will be a pain

I really can't believe it, what a pain in t ass, i'm not impressed at the mo

Banned

michelleleemoo;8927797

I really can't believe it, what a pain in t ass, i'm not impressed at the … I really can't believe it, what a pain in t ass, i'm not impressed at the mo

thats usually how it is with electronics, either fail very early or lasts long enough barring someone doing something bad to it

Original Poster

jubbyme;8927809

thats usually how it is with electronics, either fail very early or lasts … thats usually how it is with electronics, either fail very early or lasts long enough barring someone doing something bad to it

seems the way, i'm turning into a fogey because nothing seems as good as the old stuff :-D

Banned

michelleleemoo;8927835

seems the way, i'm turning into a fogey because nothing seems as good as … seems the way, i'm turning into a fogey because nothing seems as good as the old stuff :-D

me too, when i get something new i baby it, till i move on,
back in the old days stuff was simpler and lasted forever!

missismop;8927701

thats exactly what sky tell you to do good luck:thumbsup:

That's what I said and I work at Sky Did you try the 2nd one by holding down left and right michelleleemoo?

Original Poster

Robotochan;8928067

That's what I said and I work at Sky Did you try the 2nd one by … That's what I said and I work at Sky Did you try the 2nd one by holding down left and right michelleleemoo?

yes and nothing, cant even hear anything happening if that makes sense

is the helpline closed? I remember ages ago calling them up late one evening and got tech help with my box

Original Poster

bossyboots;8928122

is the helpline closed? I remember ages ago calling them up late one … is the helpline closed? I remember ages ago calling them up late one evening and got tech help with my box

got the engineers mobile number but thought it not appropriate to call on a Sunday evening

it must be under guarantee,so get em out or get em to replace it...dont stand for any nonsense:x.just a thought,you didnt get a power surge during the footie today did you?

Original Poster

whingygit;8928206

it must be under guarantee,so get em out or get em to replace it...dont … it must be under guarantee,so get em out or get em to replace it...dont stand for any nonsense:x.just a thought,you didnt get a power surge during the footie today did you?

not sure, my son turned it off after football had finished and its not come back on since

you don't need to "get them out" Michelle - call out is free

Original Poster

DAMNOME;8928228

you don't need to "get them out" Michelle - call out is free

so I havnt got to get my baps out :-D cooool

:whistling:

michelleleemoo;8928135

got the engineers mobile number but thought it not appropriate to call on … got the engineers mobile number but thought it not appropriate to call on a Sunday evening

I would still call the main sky number as they can help u just now - worth a try!

Original Poster

bossyboots;8928297

I would still call the main sky number as they can help u just now - … I would still call the main sky number as they can help u just now - worth a try!

i'm tucked up in bed now, supposed to be going over some training stuff for work :roll: not getting very far :oops:

Having issues with mine, hdmi stopped working but when I turned off at mains for a few minutes and turned back on and held back up it did start updating and the updating message showed via hdmi though had a blue tint instead of white.

After it updated it didnt show anything on HDMI again.

Engineers lose bonuses if there is a revisit within a certain amount of time. That is why they leave a direct number.
Sounds like the box itself is faulty and needs to be replaced - most likely a hardware problem. Call your engineer and they'll no doubt fit you in within their working day.

Just out of curiosity - is your TV HD and connected as such?

If the box doesn't start the software download (Backup) or full system reset (left+right). It's dead, don't know if the engineer will have a brand new box to replace yours with though
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sad news about Barcelona12
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764038
    3. Pink Balls24
    4. Avoiding the adds on the desktop client for the Spotify free account812

See more discussions