Sky tv signal issue

Posted 21st Nov
got sky q tv box and it works fine.

My old sky+ hd box using the same exact cables will not pick any signal up. This box is definitely working fine because I tried it at a friends house.

Just wanting to get it working because won’t be renewing subscription

Anyone know what the issue might be
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Sky q uses a different lnb than sky plus, you need something called a hybrid lnb fitting to be able to work both or the older lnb fitting to work just your plus box
Edited by: "ding" 21st Nov
ding21/11/2019 10:55

Sky q uses a different lnb than sky plus, you need something called a …Sky q uses a different lnb than sky plus, you need something called a hybrid lnb fitting to be able to work both or the older lnb fitting to work just your plus box

Correct answer.
/Thread

Sky q uses a different lnb than sky plus, you need something called a …Sky q uses a different lnb than sky plus, you need something called a hybrid lnb fitting to be able to work both or the older lnb fitting to work just your plus box

How can I do this?

hi, i'm having sky q installed in a few weeks, do they fit in a sky q satellite or is the sky hd one used? thanks
Dealzonwheels21/11/2019 11:26

How can I do this?

If you can get to your dish then you can buy second hand lnb for a few quid and just swap it with the sky q one it's the bit that the cables go into on the little arm that sticks out on the dish
trivium21/11/2019 11:27

hi, i'm having sky q installed in a few weeks, do they fit in a sky q …hi, i'm having sky q installed in a few weeks, do they fit in a sky q satellite or is the sky hd one used? thanks

They will use the HD one.
If you've had the old one for a while and it's looking worse for wear you can request a new one.

hi, i'm having sky q installed in a few weeks, do they fit in a sky q …hi, i'm having sky q installed in a few weeks, do they fit in a sky q satellite or is the sky hd one used? thanks

The dish is not the problem, as per above, it's the LNB.

See the Sky forum for help..

helpforum.sky.com/t5/…859

"You must phone Sky to get a hybrid LNB when you place your order BUT they will only install one if you have existing Freesat equipment that you want to keep working."

If the engineer is happy to use your existing dish then he will just swap the lnb for the sky q one, you could contact customer services and inform them you have older sky boxes or freesat you want to carry on using and can they fit the hybrid lnb, they should make sure the engineer has one on his van that day, my engineer didn't like where my old dish was, it meant a steep pitch on his ladder so he fitted a complete new dish for the sky q and left my old set up in place for the sky box in my bedroom
Edited by: "ding" 21st Nov
ding21/11/2019 11:53

If the engineer is happy to use your existing dish then he will just swap …If the engineer is happy to use your existing dish then he will just swap the lnb for the sky q one, you could contact customer services and inform them you have older sky boxes or freesat you want to carry on using and can they fit the hybrid lnb, they should make sure the engineer has one on his van that day, my engineer didn't like where my old dish was, it meant a steep pitch on his ladder so he fitted a complete new dish for the sky q and left my old set up in place for the sky box in my bedroom

My cuz got Sky installed a couple of weeks ago and the engineer said that they don't fit hybrid lnb anymore because of the cost.
Edited by: "chimp14uk" 21st Nov
jimmy_the_fridge21/11/2019 11:47

They will use the HD one.If you've had the old one for a while and it's …They will use the HD one.If you've had the old one for a while and it's looking worse for wear you can request a new one.

can't I just fit the sky q box in my self then? it's being delivered today but the engineer is coming in 3 weeks time and I am impatient haha. is it just a matter of swapping the sky hd box with the sky q box? thanks

I wanting a lnb just so my sky hd box works. What is the lnb for that called thanks
trivium21/11/2019 12:38

can't I just fit the sky q box in my self then? it's being delivered today …can't I just fit the sky q box in my self then? it's being delivered today but the engineer is coming in 3 weeks time and I am impatient haha. is it just a matter of swapping the sky hd box with the sky q box? thanks

No no no no no read the comments above its a different lnb
Dealzonwheels21/11/2019 12:39

I wanting a lnb just so my sky hd box works. What is the lnb for that …I wanting a lnb just so my sky hd box works. What is the lnb for that called thanks

Sky+ quad lnb just do a quick Google or eBay search
ding21/11/2019 12:41

No no no no no read the comments above its a different lnb

lol oops. got it! thanks
Cheaper can be found but here are examples:

The original "Mk4" quad LNB (For 'old' Sky/Sky+/Freesat etc.)
ebay.co.uk/itm…Rk~
39053489-N8nmB.jpg

The new "Hybrid" 6 port LNB (For Sky Q/Sky+/Sky+HD etc.)
ebay.co.uk/itm…0BC
39053489-EjWzV.jpg

The hybrid has four ports for "std" satellite and two for "Q" satellite receivers.
Of course, a much cheaper option (if you have the room) would be to put another "dedicated" dish up, just for your Sky+ box. More hassle though, drilling and mounting etc. Much easier to swap the LNB.

There's a used one on Ebay @ £10 - you could try offering them a figure to see if they bite? Offer what they want or a little bit more - £12 perhaps? Or, the one on the link above for £22+P&P BIN? Could try offering them a bit less...
trivium21/11/2019 12:38

can't I just fit the sky q box in my self then? it's being delivered today …can't I just fit the sky q box in my self then? it's being delivered today but the engineer is coming in 3 weeks time and I am impatient haha. is it just a matter of swapping the sky hd box with the sky q box? thanks

Sorry, I was talking about the existing dish.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions