Skype Is Rubbish Compared To MSN Messenger....

Found 2nd Apr 2013
A few niggles I have already:

*I can't send Files
*I can't hear messages "tinkle" as it's too darn quiet
*There's no facility to terrorise your contacts with unwanted jpegs (you could "share" pictures which would come up as a preview, not a download)
*It's not connected to Hotmail/Outlook so I don't get any notifications of emails coming in

I hate having to upgrade a program with no choice in the matter....this feels more like a downgrade.

I'm sure there's more but I wish MSN Messenger would stay as it was. It seems everybody uses Facebook Messenger nowadays, which I don't like either!

Anyway, I've had my moan...

Edit Sep 2013: Try this: revives the old MSN Messenger (if you've uninstalled Windows Essentials from a while back, it gives you the option to bring it back).

messengergeek.wordpress.com/201…pe/ (as it says on the blog entry: "My name is Jonathan Kay. I was a Microsoft MVP for 13 years, 10 of them being for Windows Live Messenger.")

IT WORKS! But, Microsoft are apparently turning off the servers in March 2014, so it's only temporary respite.
Community Updates
65 Comments
I disagree.
Original Poster
Because...............?
Banned
Louise i didnt know people even still used MSN messenger, the demand just wasnt there for it any more with networks such as facebook and twitter. You must move forward with the times.
D_G

Louise i didnt know people even still used MSN messenger, the demand just … Louise i didnt know people even still used MSN messenger, the demand just wasnt there for it any more with networks such as facebook and twitter. You must move forward with the times.

So where does Skype fit into moving forward?
Original Poster
Yeah, I knew it was lack of popularity that eventually buried MSN Messenger. I have no problem "moving forward" and embracing new programs, it just seems a shame that alternatives have less facilities or do things worse than the original.
Banned
Shengis

So where does Skype fit into moving forward?

I don't have either myself, but they say ''update to skype'' so the benefits of them merging the two together one would assume its moving forward anyway.
Original Poster
I love it when people state a vague opinion about something they don't use, ahem. Your definition of "moving forward" means....improving, or evolving into something worse/better?
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/grandma-cool-story-bro.jpg
Banned
Skype never fails me. I use it for professional and personal reasons and it's perfection.
What's msn messenger??
louiselouise

Because...............?

Skype is a much better name.
Banned
louiselouise

I love it when people state a vague opinion about something they don't … I love it when people state a vague opinion about something they don't use, ahem. Your definition of "moving forward" means....improving, or evolving into something worse/better?

My opinion was you must move forward, which you must as you cannot go back. I haven't give my opinion on the skype service as i havent used it. But i still stand by what i said, you must move with the times, if you don't like it that is just tough, the harsh reality of things.
D_G

My opinion was you must move forward, which you must as you cannot go … My opinion was you must move forward, which you must as you cannot go back. I haven't give my opinion on the skype service as i havent used it. But i still stand by what i said, you must move with the times, if you don't like it that is just tough, the harsh reality of things.

Can't argue with that. Just like new laptops come with windows 8...... 1 step forward....... 2 steps....
*Other instant messengers are available.

(as they say in the adverts)
Original Poster
I compared it to Windows 7 vs 8 myself, funnily enough. I'll ignore the trolls, but yeah, there are other options.

Thanks for at least being intelligent and polite, Shengis. I should know better than to post an opinion on here.....
Edited by: "louiselouise" 2nd Apr 2013
MSN Whattenger?
Pidgin - that is all.
Original Poster
Yeah, I've been using Meebo to jump between MSN accounts. Have to give Trillian a try. Luckily the Android app I'm using (IM+) still works at the moment too.
I completely agree with you! I started to use Skype before MSN was being shut down, so I am used to it now - but I still feel that it is a lot more stripped down and basic compared to MSN.

I started using Skype as most of my friends did too, so there just wasn't much use in MSN anymore. I miss having animated icons, customisable backgrounds, changeable fonts and being able to create your own emoticons. I miss the nudge button too

I like that you can have group video chats with Skype though, which I don't think was possible on MSN. You can also send files! I've sent pictures and documents, but I'm not sure if music files are allowed (like MSN). It's not all bad, but it isn't really an improvement. What can you do though?
Banned
Surely it's only needed for newdz
I'm frustrated too, as I speak to business contacts (I don't want them on my FB just to chat to them) and friends abroad via MSN, so it's frustrating that they've forced this upgrade and it constantly crashes for me.

My laptop has been running at full speed since I've uninstalled Skype, whereas it constantly used to crash prior to this.
People still use MSN?
Banned
i still use yahoo clubs
Banned
subway

People still use MSN?

I know, it's mind-blowing

I actually have no idea what you can NOT do with Skype, best thing ever.
MayingPrantis

I know, it's mind-blowing :)I actually have no idea what you can NOT do … I know, it's mind-blowing :)I actually have no idea what you can NOT do with Skype, best thing ever.

Best thing ever? Tip: Get out more
Banned
Shengis

Best thing ever? Tip: Get out more

I work with Skype and it never fails me. Have a great day
MayingPrantis

I work with Skype and it never fails me. Have a great day

But still.... Best thing ever? I'd rate a corned beef sarnie higher X)
Banned
Shengis

But still.... Best thing ever? I'd rate a corned beef sarnie higher X)

Haha well nobody's perfect and UGH corned beef
MayingPrantis

Haha well nobody's perfect and UGH corned beef

Have you seen the price of corned beef ?
dontasciime

Almost the price of a kebab these days lol. (Kebab ^ skype too btw lol)
Edited by: "Shengis" 3rd Apr 2013
Banned
dontasciime

No, and I wouldn't know, the stuff is vile!
Edited by: "MayingPrantis" 3rd Apr 2013
<-------- Corned beef
Banned
ICQ FTW
ewwaxo

ICQ FTW

Miranda wrapped.
Banned
http://blaugh.com/cartoons/060918_skype_me_sometime.gif
with skype i have no way to block spam msn messengers from those ramdoms that try and send you spam. its really annoying
Banned
There is a block button, 1 click and done.
Original Poster
dontasciime

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA3091/how-do-i-send-and-receive-files-using-skype-for-windows-desktop

When you "upgrade" Skype from Windows Live Messenger, the "Send Files" option is greyed out. I have used the normal, vanilla version of Skype before now. Thanks though.

If you want to "downgrade" back to MSN Messenger, it is still working: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/essentials-home

And lots of people agree with me, on this page, anyway: tech.uk.msn.com/mic…spx
louiselouise

When you "upgrade" Skype from Windows Live Messenger, the "Send Files" … When you "upgrade" Skype from Windows Live Messenger, the "Send Files" option is greyed out. I have used the normal, vanilla version of Skype before now. Thanks though.If you want to "downgrade" back to MSN Messenger, it is still working: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/essentials-homeAnd lots of people agree with me, on this page, anyway: http://tech.uk.msn.com/microsoft/skype/upgrade-survey/survey-tool-article.aspx

I also agree with you I am still using messenger, will most probably move to yahoo if they completely shut down msn messenger service, skype may be good but seems a bit bland as compared to msn messenger.
Edited by: "pied_piper" 13th Apr 2013
Banned
Comparing a multimillion dollar service used by millions of individuals and businesses all over the world to a program that was primarily used by teens before social networking became all the rave...

[img]i0.kym-cdn.com/pho…jpg?1307463786[/img]
Edited by: "Spook89" 13th Apr 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants