Expired

Skype on Three (3UK) - NO LONGER FREE

Found 19th Aug 2011
SEE POST 7 FOR CONDENSATION!

One reason I chose a contract phone on the Three (3UK) network was the promise of "Free Skype", meaning that, in addition to my monthly data allowance (500Mb), I could make unlimited use of (network restricted) features of Skype, for example calling relatives in Turkey on their Skype accounts from my phone anywhere I had a signal.
In the last week I attempted many times to access Skype using the "Skype on 3" Application on my HTC Desire. I was greeted with the message "Unable to log on, plesase try again later".
Finally this morning I got fed up and called Three customer support. I went to the technical support and explaned my issue, and they finally told me that the fix was to download the general Skype App from the Android marketplace. However I had a feeling that this app would start to use my 500Mb data allowance. No problem I was told by the support man, as Skype has ALWAYS used my data allowance anyway. Confused I hung up and googled the following from the 3UK website:

three.co.uk/Hel…843
Free Skype Calls and instant messages
Free Skype calls and messages are Skype-to-Skype calls and messages made from the UK with ’Skype-on-three’ on a compatible handset. Pay As You Go customers can make free Skype-to-Skype calls and send free instant messages without using up top up credit or inclusive internet allowances.
Skype use is free only when using the skype-on-three application. This may be preloaded on the phone or downloaded from Planet 3. Other Skype Apps downloaded for handsets from other sites will use up free internet allowance, Add-on or top-up credit. There is no Skype-on-three for iPhone, but customers are able to get Skype’s own app from the Apple App Store. This will however incur data charges.
Unlimited international calls from Skype are for calls from Skype to standard international landlines in selected countries (excluding the country you’re calling from). This is subject to buying Skype credit or a Skype calling subscription direct from Skype at Skype.com. A fair use policy applies to this Skype product.

Having read that, I was starting to see red! So I rang back and spoke to another person. He carefully explained that as long as I stay within 500MB, Skype is free, and only after that point would I be charged. He offered me (for a price) an Internet booster which would increase my allowance so this was less likely to happen. I explaned to him that my allowance should never run out because of Skype usage as mentioned on the website above. By this point I had been on the phone to him for 15 minutes. Finally I asked him, which is true A or B
A Can I use Skype for free using the "Skype on 3" application in addition to my data allowance, or
B Is Skype now something which will use my data allowance, indicating a change to the terms and conditions.
He finally accepted the answer was B due to a change in the relationship between 3UK and the Third-party (Skype) and he agreed that this wass a change in the terms and conditions. I immediately asked to speak to a supervisor as I could tell this chap was not going to resolve my issue and we would go around in circles.
After about 10 minutes on hold, the same chap came back saying that there was no available supervisor, so I must raise a complaint. After expressing my amazement that a mobile phone company was incapable of communicating such a change to their customers (and I am mighty puzzled about how the text above is still on the 3 website) through a text message saying "Skype is no longer free on Three, Sorry" he typed up the complaint, very slowly!
I finally asked him to read back the complaint, and it was at this point he told me that this was not the first time he had dealt with this issue, but he is not able to resolve it. Well that almost made my head explode, because at this point we had been on the phone for 30 minutes, and he could have explained the situation to me within a minute! He promiosed me that I would have a response from Three within 7 to 8 business days. So, lets see what they say!

Let me know if you have any knowledge of this area issue :-)
Community Updates
44 Comments
sorry lost me before even starting to read it, far too much info
oh my lord.. waaaaay too much info.
You must use a lot of Ink in your house OP.
deleted265520
tl;dr

condense please.
love you guys!
the condensation:
"Skype on Three" app doesnt work
Only solution, download "Skype" app
Consequence, Skype no longer free.
reason for so much waffle, took 45 mins on phone to establish this and raise a complaint.
Edited by: "denix" 19th Aug 2011
denix

love you guys!the condensation:"Skype on Three" app doesnt workOnly … love you guys!the condensation:"Skype on Three" app doesnt workOnly solution, download "Skype" appConsequence, Skype no longer free.reason for so much waffle, took 45 mins on phone to establish this and raise a complaint.

Sorry couldn't understand the short version can you do the long version instead X)
denix

love you guys!the condensation:"Skype on Three" app doesnt workOnly … love you guys!the condensation:"Skype on Three" app doesnt workOnly solution, download "Skype" appConsequence, Skype no longer free.

Ahhh well why didn't you just say that..........As with everything these days,you have to start digging deeper in to your pocket.
dtovey89

tl;drcondense please.

OP has woken up to the fact that Three are the worst mobile network in the UK and have changed their t&c's to his disadvantage, though the Indian call centre took 30 minutes to finally admit that was the case and wasn't the first time they'd head of this problem with Skype and data allowances.
Its always been like this. Unless its the three skype app and not the normal one then it will use your data and will cost. Unless your saying its not free at all now.
Edited by: "deathtrap3000" 19th Aug 2011
Am I the only person that read all of that then?
deathtrap3000

Its always been like this. Unless its the three skype app and not the … Its always been like this. Unless its the three skype app and not the normal one then it will use your data and will cost.

However I have been using the three skype app with no problems for months, now they have stopped it working with no notice.

However I have been using the three skype app with no problems for … However I have been using the three skype app with no problems for months, now they have stopped it working with no notice.

So, is this right? The old app used your data anyway, you never went over. You have to download a new app, still uses your data, and you're still not likely to go over? O_O
Dehumanization

Well I did look at each word but didn't register them in my brain as meaning something as it slightly went of on tangent when reading.

[img]t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDzx2us0gaH9vZjQonJcTGgSdgop58S3F5ugu9p8RbxmKnDcsO[/img]
Dehumanization

So, is this right? The old app used your data anyway, you never went … So, is this right? The old app used your data anyway, you never went over. You have to download a new app, still uses your data, and you're still not likely to go over? O_O

the difference is the old app didnt use my allowance, now I have to budget for Skype usage (which is probably quite a heavy app).
WheresMeNuts

You must use a lot of Ink in your house OP.

no ink, but wireless keyboard batteries
Ahh ok, mustn't have taken that bit in.
Dehumanization

No. And *high-five* for having an attention span longer than a fish's.
Am I the only person who used skype on 3?! Im trying to work out if this is handset specific (Desire) or general for the whole network. Seems like a right con given that it was one of the things which sold it to me.
denix

Am I the only person who used skype on 3?! Im trying to work out if this … Am I the only person who used skype on 3?! Im trying to work out if this is handset specific (Desire) or general for the whole network. Seems like a right con given that it was one of the things which sold it to me.

Well it would be fair to say it's a very strong selling point & I'm sure if you pushed the boat out they would end your contract for free or offer you another alternative.
was there really any need to post o moneysavigexpert aswell, you know most
people on here use both sites..
Dehumanization

Yes, don't worry though..........it's your hormones. It will pass after the birth
moneysaver9988

was there really any need to post o moneysavigexpert aswell, you know … was there really any need to post o moneysavigexpert aswell, you know most people on here use both sites..

I don't.............MSE looks like a toddlers project in web design.
mumbojumbo

What you are saying is that you want to use Skype on an iPhone?And 3 … What you are saying is that you want to use Skype on an iPhone?And 3 doesn't provide that service free of charge?So?

It's a change to the T&C's. It was always free and a selling point.
Syzable

Yes, don't worry though..........it's your hormones. It will pass after … Yes, don't worry though..........it's your hormones. It will pass after the birth

She's not been born yet??
master_chief

She's not been born yet??

That would be freaky...........she's pregant whilst still in the womb herself.
mumbojumbo

iPhone 4 isn't listed as Skype on Three compatible? Is that new?

I don't know.............i was just condensing his OP. lol
I use HTC desire and had been using the Free Skype on Three app for 10 months. This service has now been removed.
moneysaver9988

was there really any need to post o moneysavigexpert aswell, you know … was there really any need to post o moneysavigexpert aswell, you know most people on here use both sites..

I didnt know that, and the first few replies on here were not too helpful!
denix

love you guys!the condensation:"Skype on Three" app doesnt workOnly … love you guys!the condensation:"Skype on Three" app doesnt workOnly solution, download "Skype" appConsequence, Skype no longer free.reason for so much waffle, took 45 mins on phone to establish this and raise a complaint.

Thanks for the condensed version, however I still can't help you. Sorry.
I dont know how anyone has got the impression that I have got anything to do with iphone. I have a normal three contract with an htc desire phone. The "skype for three" app no longer works on my phone and that is the source of my complaint, the only way I can use skype now is through the marketplace app either on wifi or using my data allowance.
mumbojumbo

You talked of downloading the Skype app on iTunes.You said you wanted to … You talked of downloading the Skype app on iTunes.You said you wanted to use Skype on an iPhone.You talked of a 500MB monthly data allowance.

Hi mumbo thanks for your comments but you clearly havent read anything ive writen so far! The onky person who mentioned itunes is you! I have a HTC desire, I download "skype for 3" app from planet 3. It works for 10 months. It stops working. I get fed up and contact 3. You are correct I have 500Mb data allowance!
The only working skype app for my phone (HTC Desire) now is the Skype app from Adnroid marketplace. This will consume my data allowance if used over 3G.
Previously I used the "Skype for 3" app (on HTC Desire downloaded through planet 3) which did not use my data allowance. As I was trying to make people aware, this is no longer working for 3 customers (like me with an HTC desire) which is what I found out today, and was told by 3 that this is a change to their T&Cs.
I removed Skype for 3 because, at the very least, it is no longer supported on my handset (HTC Desire) and probably others, with no notice or apology!
This is incorrect, as I was informed over the phone today.
As I said in my OP, the information on their website is currently completely misleading and relating to old T&Cs.
That's useful info but does it explain why my app stopped working within the last month on my htc?
When I ask Three to speak to a supervisor they say I will receive a call in 1-2 hours .... I NEVER DO! so I just ring back and they say the same but this time it actually happens
I had exactly the same problem. They won't say that Skype is no longer free. They've tried to convince me that it was never free. I am still waiting for a answer and a solution from them.
I am also thinking of getting it because of skype but having read your post won't be going with 3 as this was the biggest selling point Imo.

Having said that my OH uses an old zte PAYG phone which has skype from planet 3 and it still works fine.
Surely thats a cause for cancellation of contract as terms and conditions have changed?
Just came across this ooooooooold thread and apologize for bumping it, but I still have 'Skype on 3' working on Nokia N8(Belle), Nokia 5800(Latest 5.0 SW), Sony Ericsson Xperia S (ICS) and INQ1.

I can give some hints and tips if someone is really keen to make it work on Symbian/Adroid devices (atleast the ones listed above).

I have been using with with a zero credit PAYG sim and it just works, the SW updates to Symbian Belle and Android ICS have not broken the app (which I was dreading before applying the updates).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants