Sky's best advice ever!!! + help needed (Wireless issue maybe?)

Found 25th Oct 2011
My wireless connection is dropping intermittently since i rejoined Sky way back in April. Their black router was useless so I went back to my old white netgear one. Since then, I get moments of 'limited connectivity' which is annoying me now. so I rang Sky Tech Support.

After a long story where they told me off for binning the faulty black router even though the guy told me to way back in April and admitted most of them were faulty. We rest the netgear one but only after he asked me the following....

Was there any other wireless equpment in the room? NO
Was there a microwave in the room? No
Did I have a fish Tank? No
Did I have a radiator in my room? Yes
Was I near a window? Yes
Was my flat stone built? Yes

So then he tells me that I need to.....

Remove the wall mounted radiator!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I won't be doing that!! Are Sky so full of themselves that they think people need broadband more than heating??

I've now got to monitor my lights when i get limited connectivity. If i get a flashing orange internet light, it's one issue. If I get normal lights, it's another issue. I told him I'm getting both a different times Any help from you sane people would be welcome. Never had this problem with any other provider or Sky when i was with them in 2007.

32 Comments

I had a lot of problems when I first got my internet installed (also with sky). I spent a lot of time on the phone talking to sky and BT, both blaming each other. In the end I did my own investigating and it turned out it was the phone line and socket. Internally it was loose. I phoned BT, and told them, 'enough is enough, everytime I clean near my curtains in the living room my internet connection is lost'. She said 'why do you need to clean near your curtains', needless to say I would not like to go to her house... I told her I wanted someone out to sort out my socket, she simply said that if there was nothing wrong with it I would have to pay for the engineer (some ridiculous amount i cant remember). When he came out, he said the socket and line were loose (!) and everything has been fine since.
So it may not be your router. If you open the socket, inside there is another socket, try plugging your phone/modem/router in there and see if you still have a problem.

Edited by: "hellbentondeals" 25th Oct 2011

Banned

http://www.coolstorybro.co/image/369-pink-polo-collar-cool-story-bro-image.png

Original Poster

hellbentondeals

I had a lot of problems when I first got my internet installed (also with … I had a lot of problems when I first got my internet installed (also with sky). I spent a lot of time on the phone talking to sky and BT, both blaming each other. In the end I did my own investigating and it turned out it was the phone line and socket. Internally it was loose. I phoned BT, and told them, 'enough is enough, everytime I clean near my curtains in the living room my internet connection is lost'. She said 'why do you need to clean near your curtains', needless to say I would not like to go to her house... I told her I wanted someone out to sort out my socket, she simply said that if there was nothing wrong with it I would have to pay for the engineer (some ridiculous amount i cant remember). When he came out, he said the socket and line were loose (!) and everything has been fine since. So it may not be your router. If you open the socket, inside there is another socket, try plugging your phone/modem/router in there and see if you still have a problem.

X) X) Oh jeez!!! Where do they get these numpties from??!! I'm going to have to shift some furniture to get to my test socket. They told me to check that and the microfilters too. Going to do that later.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

If you've not even tried your test socket then I don't blame them for … If you've not even tried your test socket then I don't blame them for what they said. Use some initiative, and the openreach charge is £130 call out fee, so it's in your interest to try and avoid that.

I am using my initiative.I can't afford a callout fee. Did I say I wasn't going to try the test socket?? NO! They said all that before telling me to do the various tests and I have to note it all down for the next two days then I have to call them back. I'm not saying that Sky are wrong with all their advice! It was the radiator comment that was weird! Thank you for your input dcx_badass. I'm not some thick female...I can follow advice and as I said in post #3 I'm going to have to shift some furniture to get to my test socket. They told me to check that and the microfilters too. Going to do that later.

Virgin once asked me if I had Christmas lights on as they may interfere with the signal.

It was July

Original Poster

dcx_badass

I know that, I didn't dispute that you were going to do it, was just … I know that, I didn't dispute that you were going to do it, was just saying should have tried it before ringing the fools, gives them one less thing to keep you on the phone for.And yes their radiator comment was stupid.

Doing all that before ringing them....I was after advice on what to look for and what I needed to do. But yeah...silly me for not being techically minded all the time. Why shiftl my furniture about to find that I may not need to do that and it could have been a simple issue.

Original Poster

sancho1983

Virgin once asked me if I had Christmas lights on as they may interfere … Virgin once asked me if I had Christmas lights on as they may interfere with the signal.It was July

X) X) I'm loving these stories.

Keep a 20M ethernet cable handy (~£2 on ebay with postage)

I run wired around the house only use wireless for ipod and apple TV with sky saves so much pain.
Edited by: "lee1000" 25th Oct 2011

Original Poster

lee1000

Keep a 20M ethernet cable handy (~£2 on ebay with postage)I run wired … Keep a 20M ethernet cable handy (~£2 on ebay with postage)I run wired around the house only use wireless for ipod and apple TV with sky saves so much pain.

Thanks for reminding me...I have an ethernet cable somewhere. Will try that too.

I am not sure from your post whether you are still using your Netgear router or not. But some of these routers suffer with overheating, and this can also cause random wireless drop-outs. I have placed a poundland laptop cooler under mine and it cured the problem, worth a try if all else fails.

Original Poster

peterpickles

I am not sure from your post whether you are still using your Netgear … I am not sure from your post whether you are still using your Netgear router or not. But some of these routers suffer with overheating, and this can also cause random wireless drop-outs. I have placed a poundland laptop cooler under mine and it cured the problem, worth a try if all else fails.

I'm still using the white netgear router as I have no other one. I can see what you are saying about the router overheating but this afternoon, it started almost as soon as I started up the laptop. I have it sitting on the stands so air gets round it all. It dropped 5 times in 2.5hrs this afternoon. Hardly had any since then and the laptop & router has been on all that time. At night, it can be pretty bad. Other times, it can go ages without it dropping

change router channel - had this problem before.

Original Poster

mrtootough

how do I do that?

Id try the master socket and changing the cables/micro filters first.. does it only happen at certain times of day like during peak periods?

I have wondered for a while myself if my neighbours internet has a problem, hes on Orange LLU which I think is now BT WBC and during the day its a solid 10-16 meg depending on the angle of the aerial, then around 5pm it drops to 1 meg till about 1am then about 5 meg to the morning then back to full speed.

have a look on sky user forum, few threads with the same problem.
link

ryouga

I have wondered for a while myself if my neighbours internet has a … I have wondered for a while myself if my neighbours internet has a problem, hes on Orange LLU which I think is now BT WBC and during the day its a solid 10-16 meg depending on the angle of the aerial, then around 5pm it drops to 1 meg till about 1am then about 5 meg to the morning then back to full speed.

That sounds like peak period.. people get home at 5 and go on the internet slowing his connection down until 1am when most folk go to bed. What you doing watching your neighbours internet connection?

bigflump

That sounds like peak period.. people get home at 5 and go on the … That sounds like peak period.. people get home at 5 and go on the internet slowing his connection down until 1am when most folk go to bed. What you doing watching your neighbours internet connection?

Lol he lets me use his connection whenever I want so I use his to share the usage with mine.

Mine gets a solid 14 meg wireless in living room and 1 meg in the rest of the flat, oh and thats a sky connection in a old stone based flat.

Its funny how my neighbours router which is 3 rooms away and about 4 thick walls works faster than mine which is about 10 feet from pc.

lol you have a good neighbour.. im jealous of your speeds.. i was down to less that 14k a while back and that painfull oO Back upto to 4 megs now YAY oO X)

I get about 17 meg wired with mine but I only use wired for my xbox and ps3

I may get rid of my internet soon as I am using mine less and less its just his recent speed drops that stop me.

lol don;t blame you.. sounds like your nighbours internet speeds are just suffering at peak times
Any thoughts on Ferns problem.... im not really a router expert

Original Poster

boabbyrab

have a look on sky user forum, few threads with the same problem.link

Thank you for that.

I tested my speed tonight and it's about 6.03. Since I've wired it up, it hasn't dropped connection.

ryouga

Lol he lets me use his connection whenever I want so I use his to share … Lol he lets me use his connection whenever I want so I use his to share the usage with mine.Mine gets a solid 14 meg wireless in living room and 1 meg in the rest of the flat, oh and thats a sky connection in a old stone based flat.Its funny how my neighbours router which is 3 rooms away and about 4 thick walls works faster than mine which is about 10 feet from pc.

If your neighbour is using a wireless N 300 router and your computer supports wireless N. You will get a much stronger signal from the N router than from one of the older wireless G routers. It could be one reason that his signal strength is greater.

Banned

That's nothing. Some people call their dish fitters, Engineers!

peterpickles

If your neighbour is using a wireless N 300 router and your computer … If your neighbour is using a wireless N 300 router and your computer supports wireless N. You will get a much stronger signal from the N router than from one of the older wireless G routers. It could be one reason that his signal strength is greater.

He has had a livebox for 2 years so doubt its N, plus the signal itself is strong in the entire flat on both routers its the actual speed where theres a problem.

'limited connectivity' is the lack of an IP address, have you tried to statically assign one either by MAC or on the laptop and checked the results?
Edited by: "Alfonse" 26th Oct 2011

mrtootough

making sure to try and use one of the non-over lapping channels where possible, 1 , 6 or 12, use the furthest channel in your locale

Original Poster

Alfonse

making sure to try and use one of the non-over lapping channels where … making sure to try and use one of the non-over lapping channels where possible, 1 , 6 or 12, use the furthest channel in your locale

Alfonse....How do I do this? I have no idea how to get into the wireless settings etc.

There is a guide here Wireless Setup that shows you how to change your wireless channel

Hope it helps

Original Poster

peterpickles

There is a guide here Wireless Setup that shows you how to change your … There is a guide here Wireless Setup that shows you how to change your wireless channelHope it helps

I can't get past the authentication screen. No idea what username and password they want. Tried so many now

fern37

I can't get past the authentication screen. No idea what username and … I can't get past the authentication screen. No idea what username and password they want. Tried so many now

The standard admin passwords are shown on this page Netgear Defaults.

If they do not work you can do a reset of the router to restore all the defaults (Hold down black recessed button on back) but if you do this you will have to set up your router for your broadband again.

I only read the thread in scroll mode. But if you are using the netgear dg834 and getting limited connectivity once in a while (on the laptop or PC that tells you this . Set an IP manually. So it's not being assigned by the DHCP server in netgear (You could update the firmware in the Netgear as it might be fixed in latest firmware) My netgears(when I use them) do this with DGTeam firmware in (they never used to with the older standard netgear firmware but later revisions of netgear firmware (which the dgteam based their hacked/upgraded versions on seemed to introduce this fault).

if using xp http://www.hotcomm.com/faq/faq_staticipxp.asp

vista/w7 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-TCP-IP-settings

eg the pc I'm on at minute is an XP operating sytem my PC IP address is 192.168.1.88

The router/gateway is 192.168.1.254

so I have to enter

192.168.1.254 [gateway]

192.168.1.254 [primary DNS]

e.g http://i.imgur.com/0ZwgL.png

Yours will probably need to be like this

http://i.imgur.com/NDZJs.png

also

fern37

I can't get past the authentication screen. No idea what username and … I can't get past the authentication screen. No idea what username and password they want. Tried so many now

username = admin, password = sky (used to be I think)
Edited by: "dontasciime" 29th Oct 2011
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions