Sleeping on a mattress directly onto the carpeted floor?

Found 1st Jun 2017
I have just put up a metal bunk bed for my sons - my youngest (10) is going in the top bunk and my other son (19) in the bottom bunk (extremely small room, can only fit one bedframe in there). My older son is 6ft tall and sitting in the bottom bunk, his head hits the mattress, etc, above (the ceiling is also low, so if he sits in the top bunk he has the same problem). He has asked me if I can remove the metal bed slats (which slot into the frame) and just place his mattress directly onto the floor (carpeted and with underlay), however, I am worried that the carpet will be ruined and that the mattress will not be aired out. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I could possibly put together a slightly raised (a couple of inches) wooden frame/few slats to place on the carpet to which I could put the mattress on top of - what sort of wood would I use, etc - plywood? Thank you.

20 Comments

Two small pallets might be enough and cheap too.

you'll also find that the metal slats form part of the structural brace for the bed, the frame may twist and wobble more with the slats removed and could collapse (unlikely but will be against manufacturers safety advice)

Will the bunk bed be stable without the slats?

Safety would be my main concern, The lack of slatrs could make the frame unstable, you would need some sort of padding on the lower frame so your eldest doesn’t bang his head/body on the exposed frame. If its tubular then pipe insulation would be ideal, if its angle or square then a larger diameter with some Gaffer tape would do the job (Neatly done). I assume you are not very practical/Diy or wouldn’t be asking advice, so the pallets suggested by justanothercid are probably your best option. Best of Luck
Edited by: "SCOUSEKEVIN" 1st Jun 2017

You Will only gain about eight inches (no jokes please about eight inches being enough in the bedroom ) . Will this make enough of a difference? The lack of stability could be a problem, though unlikely. Banging himself on the bottom of the frame is a distinct possibility, it's not designed to be accessed from that direction.
One option is to get an inflatable mattress. keep it inflated and lift it up everyday after use. Being light it would rest on a couple of slats across the bottom frame, or on a couple of bungees.

I don't think it will ruin the carpet, you are meant to turn a normal mattress when you first get it.

The problem as others have mentioned is that the bunk bed will probably collapse if you remove the slats and your youngest son moves around on the top bunk.

The base is there for the stability of the frame. If it's the metal version. I have a 6ft son and had these. We got rid in the end. Every time he turned they would wake the house up with the creaking. We now have single bunk bed and a chair in there. As the double bunk just took to much floor space and was a pain

Lift your own bed up......notice the 'dent's and 'marks' in the carpet from the weight of the bed and people.......those imperfections won't go away. Now put a mattress on the floor for a few weeks and sleep on it.......lift it......notice the dents and marks? No.... because there won't be any.

U could try getting a sofa bed in the lounge? Bunkbeds are way to small for anybody who is 6 ft

why not get a futon bed? they are very low down on the ground. or one of these.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTn0vMd1wi2r9gnGEWXT2dvTdLwe_0tq2vTk7CjK5atduQwXIjgRIbFTRmepKAXAPRVZ3I7a2qq&usqp=CAE
Edited by: "mutley1" 1st Jun 2017

futon bed

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSV60d9C6mqdhh6Q4PhXuxqxDzkvdVErjUz66tZmyV2b1GI1bGJ9lBKQQlpAg&usqp=CAE

Original Poster

SCOUSEKEVIN

Safety would be my main concern, The lack of slatrs could make the frame … Safety would be my main concern, The lack of slatrs could make the frame unstable, you would need some sort of padding on the lower frame so your eldest doesn’t bang his head/body on the exposed frame. If its tubular then pipe insulation would be ideal, if its angle or square then a larger diameter with some Gaffer tape would do the job (Neatly done). I assume you are not very practical/Diy or wouldn’t be asking advice, so the pallets suggested by justanothercid are probably your best option. Best of Luck

I have actually got 4 heavy metal rails around all four sides of the bottom bunk (two at each end and two along the longer lengths) - I haven't removed the longer ones. The metal rods snap into gaps running along the length of the longer rails. The ladder is the type that fixes flat to the upper and lower longer rails. I don't understand how it could collapse if all of the fixtures (there were a lot of them) are tight enough. The bunk bed is placed in the corner of the room and on one side of the bunk bed (3 cm gap) is the two-tier boxed unit behind the door that contains the built-in staircase.

we had a loft bed also known as a high sleeper and then you'd be best getting a trundle which is very low almost on the floor and normally fits under the bottom bunk of a bunk bed. this would give you both ideals of the top bunk with full stability and a bottom bed which your son doesn't need to climb into and be restricted by existing frame work. I hope that helps and is clear. the high sleeper and trundle can both be picked up second hand or at ikea. in fact I'm selling my high sleeper

Original Poster

adhkarzf

we had a loft bed also known as a high sleeper and then you'd be best … we had a loft bed also known as a high sleeper and then you'd be best getting a trundle which is very low almost on the floor and normally fits under the bottom bunk of a bunk bed. this would give you both ideals of the top bunk with full stability and a bottom bed which your son doesn't need to climb into and be restricted by existing frame work. I hope that helps and is clear. the high sleeper and trundle can both be picked up second hand or at ikea. in fact I'm selling my high sleeper

My sons' room is really small, more the size of a box room. The bed length will only fit one way as the other way you cannot open the bedroom door. Unfortunately, there is no way that a trundle bed could be fitted or even pulled out from underneath a high sleeper as the built-in staircase behind the bedroom door runs about 2.5 foot alongside the length of the bunk bed (so nothing could be pulled out as the staircase would block it). I think that the bedroom is only about 8 foot long as well. Before my younger son was born, I did actually have a wooden high sleeper for my older son and the only way it would fit in the room was to chop down two of the legs and have one end of the bed resting on the built-in staircase behind the door. My son didn't like being in the high sleeper either has he couldn't sit up and his head was almost level with the lightbulb! Thank you for your advice anyway.

This looks low profile and the taller son can be on the bottom and let his feet dangle out of the end!

ikea.com/gb/…33/

Sophiasky

My sons' room is really small, more the size of a box room. The bed … My sons' room is really small, more the size of a box room. The bed length will only fit one way as the other way you cannot open the bedroom door. Unfortunately, there is no way that a trundle bed could be fitted or even pulled out from underneath a high sleeper as the built-in staircase behind the bedroom door runs about 2.5 foot alongside the length of the bunk bed (so nothing could be pulled out as the staircase would block it). I think that the bedroom is only about 8 foot long as well. Before my younger son was born, I did actually have a wooden high sleeper for my older son and the only way it would fit in the room was to chop down two of the legs and have one end of the bed resting on the built-in staircase behind the door. My son didn't like being in the high sleeper either has he couldn't sit up and his head was almost level with the lightbulb! Thank you for your advice anyway.

if that's the case how would you put a mattress on the floor? doesn't the staircase get in the way. I'm sorry I'm just trying to figure out the room configuration

Original Poster

adhkarzf

if that's the case how would you put a mattress on the floor? doesn't the … if that's the case how would you put a mattress on the floor? doesn't the staircase get in the way. I'm sorry I'm just trying to figure out the room configuration

The room is a rectangular shape, however, the carpeted floor space is an 'L' shape - the rest of the space in the rectangle is taken up with a boxed unit which has two levels to it - this unit is sealed and covers the sloping ceiling part of the staircase underneath if that makes sense. The bed will fit alongside the outer wall where the window is - the longer side of the 'L'.

toiletseatlicker

Lift your own bed up......notice the 'dent's and 'marks' in the carpet … Lift your own bed up......notice the 'dent's and 'marks' in the carpet from the weight of the bed and people.......those imperfections won't go away. Now put a mattress on the floor for a few weeks and sleep on it.......lift it......notice the dents and marks? No.... because there won't be any.

​ it's easy to get rid of the indentations!...
youtu.be/Afm…2jw

Sophiasky

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09I have just put up a metal bunk bed for my sons - … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09I have just put up a metal bunk bed for my sons - my youngest (10) is going in the top bunk and my other son (19) in the bottom bunk (extremely small room, can only fit one bedframe in there). My older son is 6ft tall and sitting in the bottom bunk, his head hits the mattress, etc, above (the ceiling is also low, so if he sits in the top bunk he has the same problem). He has asked me if I can remove the metal bed slats (which slot into the frame) and just place his mattress directly onto the floor (carpeted and with underlay), however, I am worried that the carpet will be ruined and that the mattress will not be aired out. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I could possibly put together a slightly raised (a couple of inches) wooden frame/few slats to place on the carpet to which I could put the mattress on top of - what sort of wood would I use, etc - plywood? Thank you.\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09

Can't you swap rooms with them as it does sound like the rooms too small for a 19 and 10 yr old sharing (IMO shouldn't be sharing at that age but each to there own).

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants