Expired

Slippery carpet stairs

Found 21st Sep 2013
Is there anything you can put on carpet stairs to avoid them being to slippery?
Community Updates
AskCarpet
15 Comments
i have never had this problem. sounds like the carpet you have is slippery. perhaps change the stairs carpet to a non slippery one. carpets with long hair tend to be more expensive, softer to the touch and also not so slippery.
If the carpet has a nap I would suspect it's been fitted the wrong way around. feel the carpet, it should be smooth going into the step not away from it. If it's a stright run and you are able to pull it up and turn it around.
The problem is the stairs are very short , and the edge is rounded, not sharp, also the carpet feels like its a cheap synthetic one, If you wear socks its really dangerous, especially if you're in a hurry. Is there something to stick on top of them?

If you wear socks its really dangerous, especially if you're in a hurry. … If you wear socks its really dangerous, especially if you're in a hurry. Is there something to stick on top of them?

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor-static.com/productimages/285x285/5109340000.jpg
you could put down some carpet tiles in the centre of the stair? ...Just a suggestion! :-)
You can buy stair brackets, they go on the edge of the step with a couple of screws/nails and have grip on the top.
I have only seen this done with sharp edge stairs though, so I'm not sure how well they would work with a rounded edge.
Overtime the slipperiness wears off or you get use to falling down
Thanks for the helpful input so far.

The problem is the stairs are very short , and the edge is rounded, not … The problem is the stairs are very short , and the edge is rounded, not sharp, also the carpet feels like its a cheap synthetic one, If you wear socks its really dangerous, especially if you're in a hurry. Is there something to stick on top of them?

get some slippers and don't hurry.
Is there a stain guard on them like scotch guard? - This will cause them to be slippery, if this is the case, a good wash will help a little.
Every now and then lidl sell stair tiles, like a circle of carpet bent in half, which are used in germany on wooden or marble stairs, they normally just sit on the edge of the steps freely as rubber backed but you could use tacks to hold them in place on top of the carpet, be cheaper than new carpet (stair carpet treads)

Edited by: "traceym" 22nd Sep 2013
aircanman

Is there a stain guard on them like scotch guard? - This will cause them … Is there a stain guard on them like scotch guard? - This will cause them to be slippery, if this is the case, a good wash will help a little.

Thank you. I think this a very good advice. I will wash them and see if its better.
traceym

Every now and then lidl sell stair tiles, like a circle of carpet bent in … Every now and then lidl sell stair tiles, like a circle of carpet bent in half, which are used in germany on wooden or marble stairs, they normally just sit on the edge of the steps freely as rubber backed but you could use tacks to hold them in place on top of the carpet, be cheaper than new carpet (stair carpet treads)

yes, I remember I saw them once., the stair tiles(lidl). I'll try to find them.

Those stair carpets treads, do they also come on top of the carpet?

Those stair carpets treads, do they also come on top of the carpet?

You should be able to put them on top
traceym

You should be able to put them on top

Thank you!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants